Introducing a new cat to an already established cat

Alexsumner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a very remarkable story to tell. My one eyed legend of a cat called Archie (who isn't afraid of anything and has surely used up most of his 9 lives) went missing a year ago, last late May Bank Holiday weekend. Despite searches, posters everywhere, etc., etc., no sign of him anywhere and after 3 months I adopted a wonderful 5 year old stray tabby (Monty) from the Mayhew. Then three weeks ago Archie turned up about 30 miles away (identified by microchip) and I brought him home, none the worse as he'd been living with a Polish couple for most of that year away. I can only assume he got into a van.
Archie is fine, settled back home almost immediately. But Monty is totally freaked out. I have consulted with various vets, websites, etc., kept them apart, swapped scents, feeding bowls and so on. At night Archie is confined to one of the bedrooms, Monty comes home late evening after being out all day (scared I think) and this is how it has been since Archie came home. To begin with Monty went on hunger strike but many treats have won him around. My concern is how and when to let them get on with it. Archie has already chased Monty when they have met, though rarely, outside. Sadly I don't have glass doors inside for them to look at each other through and my downstairs is totally open plan which is a problem. There has been no fighting, just utter dominance on the part of Archie who chases but doesn't attack. I realise it will take time but would appreciate any advice. Perhaps others have experienced something similar.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, its often incredibly tough when one of the cats to be introduced is an indoor/outdoor cat. This is the case because the essence of the introduction process is about time together with nothing bad happening. Without the "time together" part, the introduction doesn't work. So when an indoor/outdoor cat choses to stay out to evade the intro, thats a problem. People with big houses with multiple levels sometimes have the same issue.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, but I've not read of a solution to this other than having the indoor/outdoor cat stay in, at least during the introduction process.

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the information about your cats and the reintroduction problem. I have the same thing going on for a different reason. Last week we had an intruder cat starting at my three through the patio window. The one cat Onyx tried unsuccessfully to get at the intruder through the glass and then turned on his innocent sister Michelle who Onyx now thinks IS the intruder cat. I have had to separate them in order to prevent all out fights. I have tried twice during the week to reunite them both times a frightening fight. So back to separation. This morning I cracked the door to the bedroom so Onyx could look in at Michelle and the same growling and hissing and attempt to strike through the crack in the door. The thing is Onyx does not understand why I have a "STRANGE" cat in the house now. So now Onyx lives downstairs, and Michelle and her sister Isabella live in the Master Bedroom. I have read a lot about this phenomenon and do not have much hope of this ever resolving. I did the exchange of scents it did not go well. I have diffusers and atomizers for calming. They are not working. For now, I am planning a life where I will need to split my time between downstairs and upstairs. It is not what I ever thought I would be dealing with after 11 years with these feral rescues. Best to you. Take care.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi A Alexsumner - are you planning on letting both these cats outdoors at least part of the time? As A ArtNJ said above, an introduction process is going to be very hard, if not impossible, under those circumstances. The best way to enable a cat to have outdoor time is via a catio/cat enclosure which at least confines them to the point they can't do what Archie did. And, it would enable you to better control an introduction process. Different rooms, taking turns to allow each to roam freely about the house/catio while the other is in their designated room. There are simple DIY blockades that can be used without having to take your door off the bedroom, and could even be used to block off access to one or the other from the catio/cat enclosure.

Here is (see pic below) an example of a blockade that can be made for any sized opening - even across a room if need be. It is made from shelving that can be bought at many home improvement stores. Set the shelving on its side and zip tie each segment of the shelving to make a 'foldable door'. The shelving can be cut to most any height that you want or need. All you have to do gain access to either side of the blockade is to fold a segment back.

I am also including the TCS Introduction article in case it can help you any, and one on cat enclosures, as well as a web site to explore catios/cat enclosures.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Enclosures – TheCatSite Articles
Catio Spaces: Custom & DIY Catios & Cat Enclosures

Shelving blockade.png

Last edited: