Introducing A Kitten To An Adult Cat

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I get into my question, I want to give you a little bit of information about our Adult Cat. Her name is Sassy.....

So, About a year ago, We adopted Sassy, Her owner had passed away, and she needed a new furever home. She had a basic name given by the Foundation, Like "jane" So we waited a few days to rename her, and came up with sassy (Not only because she looks like the cat from homeward bound) because she is just one SASSY TEENAGER. She is always back talking no matter what, and she loves to just smack our legs when we walk by. We were told sassy is about 8-9 years old. She did not live with other cats, but didn't show much aggression towards any, unless they showed it first.

So, We have decided to get another furbaby!
My other half has never experienced a kitten before, and he adores our sassy
(Sassy is his first Kitty). We both decided to look for a kitten. We looked around for a few weeks... and came across an ad for kittens at a vets office that had been brought in by someone who found a mama and her kittens in a box on the side of the road, they were looking for homes for the kittens, When I saw him, I knew he was the one and he came home that night.

Meet Ryuk.

So now that Ryuk is here, we are learning its a bit hard to introduce the cats to each other. The kitten wants to play, but Sassy growls every time he is close. She has smacked him once (Not violent like a push away, no claws and she walked away).

How can I get her to be okay with him? Any tips/Tricks?
I thought it would be a little easier, since she is female, and he is a baby.

Thanks ahead of time for any and all help!​

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:hellosmiley: Chibisaurus, Sassy and Ryuk, welcome to TCS :wave3:

Thank you for Sassy and Ryuk.

Introducing cats to cats take time and must not be rushed through. Here are some articles for you to read so that you know what to do :-
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
The Multi-cat Household
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight
Thank you for all the information!
I have been looking over some of the articles and have learned a few new things!
Sadly I didnt know it was best to keep them apart the first few days (So we have kinda skipped that step! )

I've been explaining to my other half, no yelling at Sassy when she growls, Ill go and grab the kitten and have him sit on my side, while i lay down and pet her to show her he is okay. Will this help?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Best is to introduce them slowly and do sight and scent swappings to be safe as Ryuk is so small, he might not be able to defend himself and also it might scare him.

Having Ryuk sit by your side and petting him may help. Sassy is probably sending a message to Ryuk that she’s in charge here as the growls and swat without claws and walked away. Ryuk could be learning a lesson from Sassy (like Sassy is momma that teaches her kitten manners). As long as there’s no violence involved, it’s pretty safe but I’ll not take chances.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Some cats get along pretty fast and well and some don’t. So just take caution and observe.

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Best is to introduce them slowly and do sight and scent swappings to be safe as Ryuk is so small, he might not be able to defend himself and also it might scare him.

Having Ryuk sit by your side and petting him may help. Sassy is probably sending a message to Ryuk that she’s in charge here as the growls and swat without claws and walked away. Ryuk could be learning a lesson from Sassy (like Sassy is momma that teaches her kitten manners). As long as there’s no violence involved, it’s pretty safe but I’ll not take chances.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

Some cats get along pretty fast and well and some don’t. So just take caution and observe.
Thanks! We keep them apart when we arent home (Ryuk stays in our room and Sassy gets her living room lol)

Sassy seems to be okay being in his presence, its just when he gets close she does a low growl (Im guessing telling him to go away) and sometimes he will each closer, and she will get a little louder and he will then back away.
I know she is showing she "is boss" im just worried she might never come around.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassy definitely feels the threat when she met the kitten. Her territory is breached. You have to separate them for a while and reintroduce them. Keep the little one in a room with all the resources and tried the sock technique that I mentioned in another post yesterday. Since they already had bad experience with each other, it might take longer for them to get along. You need to be very patient. I will give you a more detailed technique if you wish.

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sassy definitely feels the threat when she met the kitten. Her territory is breached. You have to separate them for a while and reintroduce them. Keep the little one in a room with all the resources and tried the sock technique that I mentioned in another post yesterday. Since they already had bad experience with each other, it might take longer for them to get along. You need to be very patient. I will give you a more detailed technique if you wish.
Thank you! I have sassy in the living room / rest of the house area and the kitten is in our room (so we can keep an eye on him when he is out and about) I will start with the sock this morning!

allyshyanne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It will honestly take some time.
A year and a half ago I introduced a momma and two of her babies, that were strays, to my two indoor cats. They spent about 6 months outside while I gained their trust. Throughout that 6 months my two indoors would see them through the door and smell them.
Finally I was able to bring them in after getting them spayed and neutered with their shots and flea treatment.
I had my two indoors in one room with the other three in another. My one girl, who I've had since a kitten, absolutely freaked out at first. She would hiss and growl and even attack my hands if their scent was on me.
I was worried they'd never be able to be together.
About 6 months later I was able to let them mingle without Peanut going absolutely crazy.
She definitely still growled and swatted when her personal space was breached.
Now, one and a half years later they're mostly all fine together. Except for a couple differences in opinions with Peanut and the female stray baby, Chunk, now and then.

They do have their separate spaces they can still feel safe at, though. My two indoors have a 6 foot cat tree in my office with their litter box they can escape to when the other 3 are too much for them.
My other 3 have the same room I originally put them in with their cat trees and litter boxes that they can escape to.
The doors to each area are always open, but the other "group" knows not to go into the other's territory. It's like they have a sort of unspoken rule.

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Own space is always a good thing!
My only issue with the kitten is him getting into things. He has to be watched, so I have him with me.
I just dont want sassy to feel left out.

Cat_mediator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I have sassy in the living room / rest of the house area and the kitten is in our room (so we can keep an eye on him when he is out and about) I will start with the sock this morning!
Don't forget to leave treats next to the socks :) You want them to related to each other with positive thoughts right away :)

good luck

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been trying to get my two older cats to accept two kittens. this has been going on for about two or three months. It is very slow going, and when I see people on the internet who say it took only two weeks or so, I get jealous, and discouraged. after the two months, I am slowly seeing progress, and am sticking with it. there's no real attacks or anything just a lot of hissing and some swatting. I really think it can take as long as six months, and believe in my case it will! it is very painstaking and time consuming but I would give it time if you can.