Introducing 3rd cat

m&a-cats

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
So we got a 3rd cat earlier this month (Dec 6th, 2019). His name is Buddy, (6yrs old, neutered, rescued stray cat, very sweet and sociable towards myself and my wife, very playful)

We have 2 other cats. Our first cat, Riley, is a female, spayed, very anxious, does not like to play AT ALL. She is not sociable towards kids and most people. Most of the time she hides in our unfinished basement. She loves wet food to the point every time you go in the kitchen she thinks she will get some wet food. She loves the high spot on the cat tree. She is very friend towards our second cat, Mr. Rogers, and is clearly the dominant cat.

Mr. Rogers, rescued stray cat, very sociable and very sweet towards any one and every one. Very content and loves to play. Literally the perfect cat.

The problem: Some context in our intro process. After bringing Buddy in. We kept in the the foyer room for 1 week. This is an enclosed room from the rest of the house. The door has some glass panels so the other 2 cats can see Buddy. It was cold in this room so we decided to move him into the office. Much warmer, much larger room. No glass panels. Riley sometimes would charge at the door and hiss at Buddy but towards the end of the first week it subsided. Once we moved him into our office.He seemed to really enjoy the larger space. Riley would try to get her self and her paws under the door. At some point in maybe week 2 we let Buddy out. This was the first introduction out in the open. There was a very BIG FIGHT between Riley and Buddy. Leaving tufts of fur and hurt emotions. After this Buddy was not the same. He started hissing at both Buddy and Mr Rogers. Before this Buddy and Mr Rogers seemed fine and calm towards each other. Mr Rogers never/rarely hisses at Buddy. There was 1 time were Mr Rogers chased down Buddy (with Riley in the office), but I think Mr Rogers was trying to play, but Buddy ran off and there was no fight.

Attempted solutions: We bought a dog kennel and sometimes would bring Buddy out of the office in this dog kennel with the other cats out in the open. Buddy would usually hiss if they get too close. But rarely would the other cats hiss back. Mostly calm environment. Other times we would put Riley and Mr Rogers in the office and let Buddy roam and he seems to be pretty comfortable with the house. I found him sleeping on our guest bed upstairs. Just recently we started to stop free feeding the cats. And we are on a scheduled feeding regime. Where we would feed all cats at the same time on opposite sides of the door.

Question: It seems after the big fight with Buddy and Riley, Buddy is now skiddish and anxious. What should we do to restore trust between Buddy and the rest of our cats and to get Riley to get along with Buddy?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Justv keep doing what you are doing. It just takes a LOT of time, often months, for everyone to settle down. The dog kennel is a good idea, lets them interact without fights. Your female is acting perfectly normal, they are naturally more diva like and like to control situations. Her hiding is not unusual. The two boys will naturally, in time, become buddies. Get a stiff piece of cardboard to stick between any fights, it's nice to have around. Just give everyone assurance everything is OK, give treats, and play with one in front of the other. They are all fighting for heirarchy in the family and these things just take time. Hissing, slaps, growls are all normal. Hopefully that fight got somethingf out of their systems. Don't give up, just take one day at a time!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I think how to proceed might be influenced by who started the fight between Buddy and Riley. If Riley started it, I am not sure caging Buddy in a dog kennel is such a keen idea - that is like trapping him with no way to escape from Riley, even though she can't get to him, that still doesn't change his view of being trapped. If it was Buddy that attacked, it might not be as big of a deal, but still not sure using the kennel is a good idea if you have a way to separate them with a blockade (like two-tiered baby gates) at a door to a room. Buddy then has the freedom to move away from the door blockade when he is feeling anxious. There are other ways to create a 'see-through' blockade at a door - so, if you decide to go that route, let me know and I will share an example with you.

Also, you might find these articles helpful in getting the introduction back on track.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – Cat Articles

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m&a-cats

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for your response and help. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner if you have any other ideas for a blockade, please share. I will read through those articles. It was Riley that started the fight. I agree that they are likely fighting for dominance. Mr. Rogers seems completely satisfied for being on the bottom of the totem pole as he does not hiss or growl or start anything. There are times that Riley will attack Mr Rogers right after she is trying to get to Buddy under the door. If Mr Rogers is nearby she would attack him even though he wasn't doing anything. I will try to attach a video as an example. I don't think the video shows the attack, but it would be at the end.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What you just described is redirected aggression. There are several threads about that.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Riley gets 'riled up' (no pun intended) about Buddy and then takes it out on Mr. Rogers - as Pjg8r Pjg8r stated, that is re-directed aggression. Although the video is a bit far away, I don't see Riley's ears going back into a confrontational mode, so I would think she is just very curious about being nearer to Buddy and wanting to check him out more, as opposed to wanting to beat him up. But, still more time is needed to get them used to one another before they can spend time together unattended.

About the blockade - here is a pic of one that another member made (see below). It is shelving bought from a home improvement store that can go up to lengths of 12 feet or more, if needed. The shelving is placed on its sides and then hooked together with zip ties to make hinges so that it becomes a folding door, so to speak, that can be placed over a door way, and easily moved to access the room. The shelving can be temporarily affixed to the door jambs with hooks that can be later removed and spackled and painted to restore the wood.

A few other members have also bought a screen door and replaced the regular door for the time the separation is needed.

Attachments

m&a-cats

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
We are working on getting a blockade setup so that cats can see each other. Some good and bad news from yesterday. Bad news: Earlier in the day we let Buddy out with Riley and Mr Rogers out too, but we tried to keep Buddy on our side or lap without him roaming just to get all the cats in the same space, but Buddy got away from us and started walking towards Riley and Riley started a fight. I was able to break it up before it got too bad. We put Riley in the office for a few hours and left Buddy and Mr Rogers out together. They did really good. We eventually put Buddy back into the office before the evening. Now for the good news: the same day the fight happened, yesterday, Riley somehow got into the office. I think she figured out a way to open the door, my wife thinks I left the door opened. But I don't know how long Riley was in the office for with Buddy, but there was no fighting, hissing, growling, etc.. We went in there as soon as we noticed the door was opened and watched them. Riley used the litter box and ate his food and everyone seemed calm without any aggressive body language. I really think 99% of the time Riley seemed more curious than aggressive towards Buddy. I don't know what sets her off when she starts these fights.

m&a-cats

Cat Lover
Kitten
Purraise
Update: this is where we are at. We have been feeding them with the door closed. Moving the food bowl a bit closer and closer every day over the course of a couple weeks. Today was the first day we did this and they are eating with the door open. Riley which is the usually the instigator has been really good, but Buddy is very skiddish from both other cats since Riley has attacked him previously.

Attachments