Introducing 16 Year Old Cat Into My Household

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You may also want to consider some arthritis treatment for her. There are a 'boat load' of options. I chose Glyco Flex Plus (chew treats) for Feeby, and after 3 weeks on it, she is now jumping on places that she had previously 'abandoned'. I have several 12" footstools, etc. that she now is using again to get on my bed and the recliner I sit in at night, among other places. Those 'interim steps' have been in place for a few years because she seemed like she needed help. But, when she stopped wanting to jump on those, I knew I needed try something. She is 14+, declawed in the front, and also overweight, and been diagnosed with arthritis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also were she's declawed don't let her outside at ALL. Please. So many people do, NOT thinking about what do they have to defend their lives from other animals.
I would never let any cat of mine outside, way too many dangers.
Edit: I weighed oriana today and she is 13 pounds so only lost .1 pounds in the past 8 days so hopefully she is settling in and I don't have to worry about hepatic lipidosis:yess:.

Last edited:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never let any cat of mine outside, way too many dangers.
Edit: I weighed oriana today and she is 13 pounds so only lost .1 pounds in the past 8 days so hopefully she is settling in and I don't have to worry about hepatic lipidosis:yess:.
*GOOD ON YOU* for keeping cats INDOORS ONLY, safe and sound. It's what caring, responsible people do! Is Oriana eating fairly well now?

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
*GOOD ON YOU* for keeping cats INDOORS ONLY, safe and sound. It's what caring, responsible people do! Is Oriana eating fairly well now?
Well when I calculate calories for my cats I always go by 20 calories per pound, and its clear oriana doesn't need near that much. With her current food that would be about 3/4 of a cup a day and she doesn't even eat 1/2 a cup. I have been giving her wet once a day but in very small amounts still to not upset her stomach. I have been trying various brands and flavors. So far she has ate at least some of everything I have given her except Purina Pro Plan which she completely refused. I think the Fancy Feast liver and chicken pate has been her favorite, well besides she loves licking the gravy off the in gravy food but doesn't eat the food.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well when I calculate calories for my cats I always go by 20 calories per pound, and its clear oriana doesn't need near that much. With her current food that would be about 3/4 of a cup a day and she doesn't even eat 1/2 a cup. I have been giving her wet once a day but in very small amounts still to not upset her stomach. I have been trying various brands and flavors. So far she has ate at least some of everything I have given her except Purina Pro Plan which she completely refused. I think the Fancy Feast liver and chicken pate has been her favorite, well besides she loves licking the gravy off the in gravy food but doesn't eat the food.
A LOT of cats seem to prefer the gravy to the food! When I feed my cats food in gravy I always mix it in as well as I can so they will eat all of the food. My cats are very good about eating -- 99.9% of the time they finish everything at every meal (3 a day, wet food). I give each of them 1 can (5.5 oz) per day. They also have the dry food free choice and treats daily. They all maintain optimum weight and condition on this diet.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I locked my cats upstairs and let oriana explore the downstairs. She loved it and went running about from room to room and even jumped up on the sofa! Molly hated the smell of oriana and hissed at me at least a dozen times while I tried to pet and comfort her, Mister and Oscar just acted like they were finally getting the rest of their house back.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I locked my cats upstairs and let oriana explore the downstairs. She loved it and went running about from room to room and even jumped up on the sofa! Molly hated the smell of oriana and hissed at me at least a dozen times while I tried to pet and comfort her, Mister and Oscar just acted like they were finally getting the rest of their house back.
Have you tried taking a cloth/Tshirt/blanket and rubbing each cat in turn, to mingle their scents? Cats have a very powerful sense of smell, much more powerful than a dog's, and scent is very important to them.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried taking a cloth/Tshirt/blanket and rubbing each cat in turn, to mingle their scents? Cats have a very powerful sense of smell, much more powerful than a dog's, and scent is very important to them.
I have been using a grooming glove on each of them and leaving the loose hair on it to spread the scent.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't heard of it but will try it out.
Today Oscar was just lounging in the hallway outside Oriana's room so i opened the door to see their reaction. Oriana came out, I'm sure not expecting any cats since she has been having free range of the upstairs. She got within about 2 feet of him and they stared at each other for about 10 seconds and she turned around and went back in her room. I think that is the first interaction of any of my cats that didn't involve hissing.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like Oriana was like "OMG, gotta go back in room, bye". What was Oscar's?
He remained laying there while she was out in the hallway, but when she went back in her room Oscar tried to sneak in to eat her dry food. Even after 2 years of being in my house, he still wants to gobble up any extra food he can find. He apparently thought better of risking it, and backed away a couple steps then turned and walked away.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He remained laying there while she was out in the hallway, but when she went back in her room Oscar tried to sneak in to eat her dry food. Even after 2 years of being in my house, he still wants to gobble up any extra food he can find. He apparently thought better of risking it, and backed away a couple steps then turned and walked away.
Great progress! Keep up the good work!:yess:

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my cats enormous attention then bringing oriana downstairs and she just cuddles with me. Mister and Molly still hate her and run and hide, but Oscar has become indifferent and just ignores her. I'm thinking about a supervised upstairs for Oscar and Oriana right now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gotta love Oscar!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been giving my cats enormous attention then bringing oriana downstairs and she just cuddles with me. Mister and Molly still hate her and run and hide, but Oscar has become indifferent and just ignores her. I'm thinking about a supervised upstairs for Oscar and Oriana right now.
That sounds like a very good plan! And don't despair -- these things take time, patience, and love, just like with humans. There was this kid in school -- she and I hated each other on sight, for a long time. Until we became best friends. :yess:;)

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are starting to come around for your family members. Sorry I have not been on for awhile just found out that my dolly who turns 16 years old this month has cancer. Stage 3. So I chose to just make her comfy and we are enjoying what time we have left together. I'm praying she'll be able to make to see the new years.

Status
Not open for further replies.