Introducing 16 Year Old Cat Into My Household

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like things are starting to come around for your family members. Sorry I have not been on for awhile just found out that my dolly who turns 16 years old this month has cancer. Stage 3. So I chose to just make her comfy and we are enjoying what time we have left together. I'm praying she'll be able to make to see the new years.
OH, Dolly2002 Dolly2002 -- I am so very sorry to hear this. I know you will treasure each moment together. Heartfelt *PRAYERS* and best thoughts for Dolly, and for you as well. There aren't any words to make it feel better. Share the unconditional loyalty and love together.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH, Dolly2002 Dolly2002 -- I am so very sorry to hear this. I know you will treasure each moment together. Heartfelt *PRAYERS* and best thoughts for Dolly, and for you as well. There aren't any words to make it feel better. Share the unconditional loyalty and love together.
Thanks. I'm just watching her sleep right now and she's purring. I've had her since she was 4 weeks old, had to bottle feed her and give meds when I got she was so sickly. It's been hard.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm just watching her sleep right now and she's purring. I've had her since she was 4 weeks old, had to bottle feed her and give meds when I got she was so sickly. It's been hard.
I don't know exactly how you feel -- no one can except you yourself -- but I know the feelings that come with knowing a beloved one is ill. Have lost loved ones to all kinds of maladies, incluing Mast cell lymphoma, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy, CRF, URIs---it just slays me. I know all too well how precious each moment is with loved ones. :hugs:

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would never let any cat of mine outside, way too many dangers.
Edit: I weighed oriana today and she is 13 pounds so only lost .1 pounds in the past 8 days so hopefully she is settling in and I don't have to worry about hepatic lipidosis:yess:.
Congratulations on her weight loss. I'm so happy it sounds like from rereading threw today that Oscar is opening up to oriana now. That's how dolly did when my son brought home a kitten 3 years ago. Best of luck all our love melodee and dolly.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
*GOOD ON YOU* for keeping cats INDOORS ONLY, safe and sound. It's what caring, responsible people do! Is Oriana eating fairly well now?
My son has a super active 3 year old female spayed female that he sits outside WITH in our fenced yard so she can climb in our thirteen trees that are pruned so if he wants to climb up to get her he can. Not all people who let them out are not responsible pet owners. He does this so she's not picking on dolly who we just found out has stage 3 cancer.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry I meant to say bad owners. I'm just going threw a lot of emotions and trying to say the right words is hard to find in my frame of mind. Dolly has been my longest running companion in my 45 years of life.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow Oriana is so lucky to have you for her golden years! Sounds like she has it much better with you. And it's fantastic she's taking to wet so well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son has a super active 3 year old female spayed female that he sits outside WITH in our fenced yard so she can climb in our thirteen trees that are pruned so if he wants to climb up to get her he can. Not all people who let them out are not responsible pet owners. He does this so she's not picking on dolly who we just found out has stage 3 cancer.
Yes, Dolly2002 Dolly2002 , sometimes there are unique or extenuating circumstances. I read of a family who rescued a baby bobcat and fawn in a disaster, and the bobcat is a member of their family now. With all respect to those who differ in opinion, I do not believe in keeping members of nondomesticated species in residential situations, more for THEIR good than the humans' although it is always the animal who loses in any bad situation involving humans. But in this case, and in some others, of course the people are heroes for stepping up and saving the animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last night I brought Oriana downstairs and sat with her on my couch for awhile. Oscar came up and sniffed her a few times with his paw out like he was going to give a swat, but never did. I eventually just left her there as I remained in the room, as she seemed content to just remain there. Molly went into hiding and Mister sat about 15 feet away staring at Oriana. She just sat there for about an hour completely calm. I went over and tried to pet Oscar and he attacked me with claws out and now I have a nice 3 inch gash on my wrist. I eventually took Oriana back upstairs, and made a special point to take my cats up on my lap on the couch to spread all their scent and give them all extra attention. Molly hated it and hissed at me for awhile and even growled. After about another hour she came up to me on her own free will and let me pet her as usual. Oscar loves to sit on this cardboard scratcher, and calmed down after awhile on his roost.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night I brought Oriana downstairs and sat with her on my couch for awhile. Oscar came up and sniffed her a few times with his paw out like he was going to give a swat, but never did. I eventually just left her there as I remained in the room, as she seemed content to just remain there. Molly went into hiding and Mister sat about 15 feet away staring at Oriana. She just sat there for about an hour completely calm. I went over and tried to pet Oscar and he attacked me with claws out and now I have a nice 3 inch gash on my wrist. I eventually took Oriana back upstairs, and made a special point to take my cats up on my lap on the couch to spread all their scent and give them all extra attention. Molly hated it and hissed at me for awhile and even growled. After about another hour she came up to me on her own free will and let me pet her as usual. Oscar loves to sit on this cardboard scratcher, and calmed down after awhile on his roost.
Your doing great dear... Please don't give up on them. They're starting to come around very slowly. And anything that you love takes time to work on. You're a really good momma to these precious creatures.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's hard to tell from your last post, if things are getting better or not. :sigh: Do keep an eye on the scratch, as cat bites/scratches can become infected.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds as though Oscar is thinking about this. Honestly, sometimes we'll just be sitting side by side and Sweet Gum smacks my arm. Sometimes she moves away a bit and sometimes just blinks. I think it happens because she is close to sleep either going into it or coming out of it. In that state she knows she vulnerable, much like when asleep and the slightest movement gets a quick response. could this have happened to Oscar?

Or he might just be a bit jealous.

Dolly2002

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just remember that they are so worth it in the end... the kitty kisses are the best kind of kiss you'll ever receive. My dolly has gave me 15years worth.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just remember that they are so worth it in the end... the kitty kisses are the best kind of kiss you'll ever receive. My dolly has gave me 15years worth.
You said it, Dolly2002 Dolly2002 !!! ABSOLUTELY. After being sorely, sorely disappointed by quite a few humans (and I'm no misanthrope -- I'm intensely social and love good, kind, compassionate, gentle, intelligent people without ego agendas) I would be the first one to say that the unconditional loyalty and love cats give is second to none!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to tell from your last post, if things are getting better or not. :sigh: Do keep an eye on the scratch, as cat bites/scratches can become infected.
It's clear Oriana completely doesn't care about my cats. She would just ignore them if given the opportunity. But yes, my cats are no where near accepting her.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know what? Oriana is a fairly old cat. Maybe she will never take to the others. Maybe the others won't take to her, either. (Although, over time they may be more willing that she is, actually). As long as you can provide her with a safe space of her own, that might be the best option. She will love you for a comfortable home with lots of attention/loving.

Do what you can to continue introducing her to the others, with your supervision. There are a whole lot of emotions going on with your cats right now. Just when you think one might be coming around (Oscar), they prove you wrong. It seems to me that Mister might be the first one from all that you said.

You have my gratitude that you took her in and gave her a nice place to be for the rest of her life.

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oriana has become tired of being locked in her room, as soon as I open the door she sprints out. Today she came out and Oscar was in the hallway, she walked right up to him and meowed, but he hissed and ran away down the stairs. My 3 cats are so ravenous at meal time i'm considering trying to bring Oriana downstairs during that time, but i'm afraid it might cause Molly to run away rather than eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.