Internet Safety On My Mind

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But with only a first name and town no one would find me.
They can. And if they want to, they will. Let's just hope nobody wants to. That's what I mean about being fatalistic about it.

But hey, we never used to worry about who knew where we lived, lol. I'm pretty sure everybody in the town I work in knows where I live, and people you know are more likely to be problematic than strangers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you feel really iffy, most police stations allow meeting in their parking lot too.
Our local police station has designated parking spots for this now! I've never used them but I saw them right up front next to the walkway to the door. You can't get any closer to the door actually. DH has sold a few things via Facebook's marketplace. They were too big to take to a meeting place but they were also outdoors. Thankfully no one even suggested coming to look at a time when he wouldn't be home. We wouldn't have gone for anything else. Its not worth it. I barely answer the door for the post office. I'm sure not opening for someone else.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I bought my Miniature Schnauzer, I found the breeder online, she met me in a Walmart parking lot in Phoenix, with the pup's parents and a big German Shepherd guard dog.
Couldn't blame her for that.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good heads up! I remember reading an article (can't remember where though, this thing called gravity sucks) where they recommend, due to all the bad stuff going on, and to keep kids from getting in trouble, is to buy them a flip phone.

As an adult, this is the reason, I'm not involved in facebook, etc.. The other places to avoid is free game sites, and the like. These sites pull you in, where you hit a button, then BAM, your computer is infected.

Anyways, you can't be careful enough in this world we live in! This is one reason, I miss working with my dog, or at one time dogs. These guys always gave me the heads up, and edge, if anything is around. When they'd look in a direction, I pay attention and look. Regardless if it's a wabbit, or (OK be nice ... :p) a cat, doesn't matter, I pay attention!

The other reason is, as I work alone, I miss their company!

Anyways, it is tough at times, but you gotta try your best, in keeping yourself safe!

Pops
No face book here, and I tried to get on twitter once and left so confused and never tried it again. I don't know what an instagram is. I'm still wowed by the invention of the wheel. :thumbsup: It was my wife who signed us up.
I am almost positive a young friend made some accounts on our system awhile ago. Nothing came of it, but it kind of made me wonder what the hell he was thinking and why he had to do that.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Anyway, long story short, please do watch yourself on here as well. If someone starts to show too much of an interest in you, ask yourself why and watch out for yourself. That person my be wonderful, genuine and caring and you may find that out for sure, but there's a tiny chance they aren't. I'd like to think the percentage of bad here on TCS is lower than other sites, but it still does exist.

If you ever find yourself in a situation with a member that seems off, please don't hesitate to contact Anne or one of the Moderators.
:yeah: I've been a moderator here for nearly a decade and a half. While rare, there have been some incidences of members misrepresenting themselves - "catfishing" can occur anywhere - and/or showing the mods sides to their personalities that would shock members who interact with them on the forums.

Be careful.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
BUMP.

Recently there has been some "issues". Just want to bump this for the ladies who meet someone who seems like they are genuinely interested. Beware of intentions. Especially their marital status or lack of disclosure. Be safe ladies.
That cuts both ways. Everyone needs to be careful on the Internet, regardless of sex.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
That cuts both ways. Everyone needs to be careful on the Internet, regardless of sex.
My apologies. Yes. It can happen either way. I worry about my friends I meet online and don't want to see anyone hurt. Obviously this is a personal matter but wanted to suggest being vague with name and town you live in when dealing with new "friends" regardless of your gender.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't participate in any other social sites. I never cease to be amazed though the things that people feel compelled to tell me they read and see on Facebook. I have been told that folks will post information like when they are leaving their home to go on vacation, how long they will be gone, their complete schedule of where they are stopping each day to sight see and spend the night. I know folks who post their children's pictures, even ones taken in their homes. I have read that there is a tool to be used that would give an imposter GPS information so they would know exactly where your child was in your house when the picture was taken if everything thing was done with Smart Phones with GPS turned on.
That is scary. People can be anyone and anything they want to be online, and sometimes it is all made up. I agree that everyone needs to guard their personal information.
That being said, I want to end on a positive note. I have been a member here for a long time. I have met some wonderful people. The support in tough times has helped me over the years. I have never had an unfavorable experience with anyone here as a regular member. I was a moderator for awhile and saw enough then to know there are some real "pieces of work" in this world. Not everyone is sweet and kind. Be careful, but enjoy this circle of friends. :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BUMP.

Recently there has been some "issues". Just want to bump this for the ladies who meet someone who seems like they are genuinely interested. Beware of intentions. Especially their marital status or lack of disclosure. Be safe ladies.
It also applies to real life as I think foxxycat foxxycat may have been referring to. Go out for a night of fun and drinks with friends, leave with a complete stranger, and end up kidnapped or worse (the recent Jassy Correia murder).

I stay away from social media although I recently signed up on Instagram to follow an artist. I am not posting pictures, etc to my Instagram account which I have set to private. Nor am I "friending" anyone.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
One of my GFs will post on FB that they're leaving for Disney World or some such vacation. And I think, "Well, geez, why don't you just put a sign on your front door that says, "Hey! We're not home! C'mon in and rob us blind!" It always boggles my mind. And they post pictures while they're on vac about places they're at, what they're eating, etc. *shaking my head* I don't get it.

I don't have a lot of FB "friends". But I can say that I know the "friends" I do have. They're also friends in real life. Guys will request me to friend them. I have no idea who these people are and I don't care. They get ignored.

Our son and DIL gave us specific orders not to post any pictures of the grands. Anywhere. FB, TCS, etc. Anywhere. Ever. I wouldn't do so anyway; I don't believe in it.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never been on Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media platform, unless this counts as one. I'm old ( okay, real old) school about such things. It is a pity that we can't be more trusting, but that's the world we live in today. As the saying goes: Eternal vigilance is the price of safety.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Not everyone is sweet and kind.
So, so true. As a Moderator I can tell you that some of the people that come across as the nicest, sweetest people on the forums are not who they seem and at times quite vicious. Please watch what you say and protect yourself. If you are having issues with a member, please do not hesitate to report it. While we may not be able to take action immediately, believe me when I say we do try to keep an eye out.

Also wanting to end on an upbeat note, we also having some of the nicest, kindest, most thoughtful members here.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, so true. As a Moderator I can tell you that some of the people that come across as the nicest, sweetest people on the forums are not who they seem and at times quite vicious. Please watch what you say and protect yourself. If you are having issues with a member, please do not hesitate to report it. While we may not be able to take action immediately, believe me when I say we do try to keep an eye out..
That's me. Totally vicious! :p

But on actual topic, people might not be who they say they are, so look at actual email addresses. Like, I got this email from my boss asking if I was available yesterday, and I was still basically at school so I went to go see her in person and she hasn't sent it - it was someone using her name, I guess to get amazon gift card codes. And then when we looked at the actual email address and not the name it popped up as it was clearly not her.

So anyway, don't fall for that scam guys. If I'd gotten to the point where they'd asked for money, I probably would have caught on, but we take so many things for granted, that we can easily get caught up.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What amazes me is how unkind people can be in PMs. I don't understand it. They are sweet as pie on the forums, then they say any rude thing they want in private message. It's really jarring to receive a rude PM. I wish people would remember to be kind always if you can.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my GFs will post on FB that they're leaving for Disney World or some such vacation. And I think, "Well, geez, why don't you just put a sign on your front door that says, "Hey! We're not home! C'mon in and rob us blind!" It always boggles my mind. And they post pictures while they're on vac about places they're at, what they're eating, etc. *shaking my head* I don't get it.

I don't have a lot of FB "friends". But I can say that I know the "friends" I do have. They're also friends in real life. Guys will request me to friend them. I have no idea who these people are and I don't care. They get ignored.

Our son and DIL gave us specific orders not to post any pictures of the grands. Anywhere. FB, TCS, etc. Anywhere. Ever. I wouldn't do so anyway; I don't believe in it.
The ones that kill me are the people who think it's perfectly safe to share pictures of their babies or little kid butt-naked in a bathtub to a world-wide accessible site :headshake: Even if it's set to some kind of privacy, the internet is not a private place, and privacy measures don't always hold up to what we believe they are.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Especially their marital status or lack of disclosure.
I don't understand why anyone would lie about being married. Plenty of people are in unhappy marriages. I had a best guy friend who was in an unhappy marriage, but he didn't want to lose his kids, house, and half his money. He told me all this on day one. Nobody judged him. It's best to be honest always.