Interesting Fur...

Benjamin Franklin (Benji)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’ve noticed that Benji’s fur is a bit strange. I can’t explain it and maybe this appears in other spotted cats too, but his fur has little yellow strands in it and the very top of his back is a sort of bronze colour now. The bronze of his back sort of shines in the sun too and is sometimes hard to photograph. Why does his fur look like this? Here’s what I’m talking about when I mean little yellow strands:
23255641-1F4B-48FE-8523-08C372F48C99.jpeg
I couldn’t get a photo of his back with the bronze fur beginning to appear and the yellow strands are a lot more pronounced in real life. His muzzle is also turning sort of copper at the edges very slightly, is this some sort of growth thing? I’m quite fascinated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe I’m going insane over nothing. I was just slightly interested by the copper colour growing on him. Do you think he will become more copper/copper brown when he grows up?

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Interesting! In some settings he looks brown, and in others he looks silver. It’s a bit strange.
This happens with bengals too, sometimes it is difficult to determine if a cat is a "cold brwon" or a "tarnished silver".

Can you share more pictures of this lovely boy, including both sides of his body, face from the front and from a side?

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This happens with bengals too, sometimes it is difficult to determine if a cat is a "cold brwon" or a "tarnished silver".

Can you share more pictures of this lovely boy, including both sides of his body, face from the front and from a side?
Pic 1 is one side, Pic 2 is the front view of face, Pics 3 and 5 are the other side, and Pics 4 and 6 are the side view of his face.

Just a description in words: He has slightly large ears but they’re rounded at the tips, his odd fur colour with one side of his body having a mix of blotchy stripes and the other side being solely spots (weird extremely asymmetrical marks). He has a very symmetrical face that’s quite long. His body is already pretty muscular for a kitten and he’s super heavy!

Last edited:

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If it looks like a Bengal, talks like a Bengal and walks like a Bengal...

Sorry Congratulations, you've got a Bengal mix! Natural son to a Bengal, I would say, and he's got quite a good head and pattern. Lovely boy. I would consider him a "cold brown" rathee than a silver, but it is not an exact science with bengals, probably we'll be able tl determine his coat volor better in a few months time.

Those sparkles you were seeing are, as I suspected, glitter. The long hais will eventualy fall at any point between five and nine months old, once he "ugly" or fuzzy stage is over :)

I can tell he is going to be breathtaking just by how gorgeous he looks at the momment.

If you haven't spayed him yet, do it assap, bengal males have a well deserved fame of being sprayers since really young age ;)

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, interesting! I’ve always suspected he had some Bengal ancestry. I’m thinking of neutering him around April. Benji is super, super active at all times and I’m wondering if there are any good toys you would recommend that he will like. He always hides toys in corners so that I can never find them...

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow, interesting! I’ve always suspected he had some Bengal ancestry. I’m thinking of neutering him around April. Benji is super, super active at all times and I’m wondering if there are any good toys you would recommend that he will like. He always hides toys in corners so that I can never find them...
How old will he be by April? Ideally, bengals are spayed around 5 months because when they start spraying it is difficult to make them understand that is not allowed.

My bengal loves feathered toys, which I move imitating preys for her to "hunt" them :) hiding things is a tipical bengal trait, I am still looking for a pendant my late bengal mix hide two years ago.