Integration thread for Kyubi and Sasha (Long)

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A few things that helped my two get used to each other:

1.  Feliway plugs ins and spray for areas that caused problems. 

2.  Composure liquid max 2x a day mixed in wet food.  This was given to the more aggressive cat.  I noticed a huge difference.  It took a few days, but it really helped the more aggressive cat to feel less agitated.

3.  I used a cheap wooden screen door from Lowes that I attached to the door frame with cheap tension rods.  The entire set up was less than $30.  I also didn't have to deface the door.  I had tried stacking baby gates, but never felt they were secure enough.  The screen door allowed the new cat to hear, see and smell the house while still being safe in his room.  I did put a baby gate in the door way as extra protection.  I also only did this when I was home to supervise.  The screen was cheap and it could have been knocked over if a cat worked on it for awhile.  Once the cats would eat on either side of a closed door I moved to having them eat with the screen door up.  I had to start about 3 feet from the door and gradually move it until the were just a foot or so apart.  If there was hissing I had moved too quickly. 

4.  Another thing I used was a large dog cage.  I covered it on 3 sides with a sheet.  This allowed the cats to smell and see each other, but safely.  I used plain cooked chicken as a reward and as a way for them to associate good things with one another.  I did this 2-3 or more times each day.  I only had one cat that would go in the cage, but he didn't mind. 

5.  Play with the cats individually.  Play until they are really tired.  Get a da Bird toy and wear them out.  Tired cats are much better behaved!  Also I was told not to used catnip during this phase.  It can cause aggression.

6.  I rotated who was out and about and who was put away.  I always gave the new guy some time out of his room.  Yet each night the new cat was in his safe room. 

My two took exactly one year to get acclimated to each other.  The new cat I brought in was a feral/stray who was used to fighting for his territory.  I worked so hard to get them used to each other.  Now they hang out together, sleep together and play.  I never would have thought it possible. 

Take it slowly and push the challenge line from time to time.  If you need to go back thats ok. 

Here is a picture of my screen door set up.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been letting Sasha and Kyubi peek at each other while eating by cracking the door open a little bit.  When Sasha growls, I immediately close the door.  There is almost always hissing, but it has been decreasing and Sasha will usually continue to eat.  Once in a while, Sasha will actually finish eating and walk away before I have to close the door due to escalation.  Yay!  On the bad side, Kyubi has started hissing back.  At first, he didn't seem to mind being hissed at and ignored it.  Now, it seems to annoy him and he retaliates, although very very rarely growls.  

I've done the 2 baby gates stacked on each other.  The first time was a disaster.  Kyubi climbed the gate and hopped over and there were very loud yowls.  I figured out that taping some cardboard to the top gate stops Kyubi from climbing over.  Yay.  There has been some growling and hissing from this method, BUT Sasha has been able to just ignore him as well.  She will get bored or distracted and even be willing to play or eat.  I feel super bad for Kyubi because he really seems to want to be friends.  

I'm happy about this progress.  There have been times when it seemed like they were never going to move forward!  They can now, sometimes, just look at each other without hissing/ growling but it's never consistent.  But at least they're not consistently hissing/ growling.  

Sasha is on my lap right now even though the bathroom door is open (with baby gates up).  They aren't exactly looking at each other but at least they can ignore each other.  Also, Sasha is acting more like herself pre-Kyubi.  She is more playful and energetic and spends a lot of time with me again.  

for the little victories.  It has been MORE than a month since Kyubi came home.  He is getting destructive and bored in his bathroom.  I need some good vibe guys.  Lol.  

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@ShadowsRescue  did you ever do room swapping?  Sasha hates being in Kyubi's safe room for some reason.  Even if she willingly walks into it she will hiss and growl like someone put her there against her will.  Also, putting one of the cats in a carrier and letting the other cat loose seems doesn't make sense to me.  Won't it make the cat in the carrier feel cornered?

Thanks for all the advice!!  It's always nice to hear success stories.  I wish I had the room for a screen door.  

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@ShadowsRescue  did you ever do room swapping?  Sasha hates being in Kyubi's safe room for some reason.  Even if she willingly walks into it she will hiss and growl like someone put her there against her will.  Also, putting one of the cats in a carrier and letting the other cat loose seems doesn't make sense to me.  Won't it make the cat in the carrier feel cornered?

Thanks for all the advice!!  It's always nice to hear success stories.  I wish I had the room for a screen door.  
I did some room swapping, but my resident kitty didn't want to be in the new kitties room for long.  Instead, I would allow the new kitty to come out and about in the house and put resident kitty in my sons room with the door closed.  I did put exchange the bedding they slept on almost daily. 

I too tried stacking the baby gates and it was a disaster.  They both came tumbling down. 

If you are getting alot of hissing and growling either try to push through it as long as it doesn't escalate.  If it gets worse, back off the feedings or try moving the food further back.  They might be too close right now.  You can start with the food about 3 feet away on either side of the door and gradually move it closer and closer until no growling or hissing.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sasha and Kyubi are getting a bit better at not hissing/ growling as much during short peeking sessions.  

Today I witnessed Kyubi slow blinking at Sasha several times.  He does hiss (I think he's scared/ nervous around Sasha).  Sasha does most of the hissing/ growling and does not blink back.  Her ears don't go back and she doesn't poof up or anything, so my theory is that she is scared of him and is acting tough.  Kyubi definitely wants to be friends.  I think that once Sasha calms down, they'll be able to get along.   

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good news, Ruaryx. My resident cat was interested in the newcomer but the newcomer would hide under the furniture and hiss and growl at him. It took a while for it to stop. Now they are friends. She still hisses and growls at him sometimes though, but I've decided this is their form of "courtship" (neutered/spayed style!)

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today Sasha and Kyubi had a short "meeting".  Sasha started hissing and growling the second she saw Kyubi.  After a few seconds, they both just sat and looked at each other from about 3 feet.  I think Sasha closed her eyes a little, although not all the way.  Either way, the fact that they just looked at each other without hissing was a big deal.  I decided to bust out Sasha's new favorite food, Primal Freeze dried fish nuggets, and they actually ate them!  Sasha was interested in the food enough to ignore Kyubi and eat!  Kyubi also ate, but no surprise there.  

After a while, Kyubi tried to get closer to Sasha with friendly/ curious intentions and that set her off hissing again.  BUT, still a lot of progress.  I'm happy for now.  

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Slowly, slowly is a great way to go.  And it sounds like it's working.  Well done.

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the encouragement you guys!  I really appreciate it. I love having a place to come to and just talk about my cats.  Lol.  

Today Sasha and Kyubi were able to eat by each other (about 3 feet apart) without ANY hissing.  Sasha was particularly hungry and had her favorite fish topping, which helped I'm sure.  

chaucer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys!  I really appreciate it. I love having a place to come to and just talk about my cats.  Lol.  

Today Sasha and Kyubi were able to eat by each other (about 3 feet apart) without ANY hissing.  Sasha was particularly hungry and had her favorite fish topping, which helped I'm sure.  
This is a great sign that they are starting to accept each other!