Inside of kitten's ears are filthy

samanthag721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A few weeks ago I cleaned the inside of my 7week old kitten's ears with a cutip but as I look now deep inside her ears are filthy. What is the best way to clean her ears when I don't want to damage her ear drum??

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are specific ear cleaners for cats. Usually they are drops you put in the ears and then wipe afterwards. You can ask your vet to recommend what is best for you kitty. 

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You may also want to check for ear mites - the mites cause 'dirty' ears (dirt is usually dark in colour).  

For regular dirty ears, around every 3-4weeks, I use a cotton tip bud, with a special ear cleaning solution that seems to remove the dirt very easily (no pressing or repeated swipes).  I don't clean deep into the ear, and maybe believe there is no need - need would be sending me to the vets??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthag721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got her ears cleaned but deep inside is the dirtiest&it is dark in color?? What is the best solution to clean deep inside her ears?? I'm getting the Cerumene Ear Cleaning Liquid for her but will that help clean deep inside her ears??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samanthag721

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Btw I didn't notice any mites @all. Are they easy2see if she were 2have them?? I mean I checked for movement&looking closely @the cu tips but no bugs.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you often can't see mites.  The clue is the dark dirt.  Once the mites are gone, the deep inside of the ear will be clear (if it's mites of course).  I can't remember what other signs/symptoms there are with mites, but if you look at some of the cat health sites, you should be able to find, as it cna be a common thing.  

When we had dark dirt in the ears we went to the vet and my vet applied some medication (ear drops from memory??).  It was quite simple.  I think she could see the mites with her ocular thingy.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Has your kitten been checked by a vet? If not, it's time for a general check-up and first shots. The vet can also tell you if she has ear mites. When I took a foster cat in for a check-up my vet looked at the dark gunk under a microscope to see if it was mites or just a lot of wax. The vet can also show you the safest way to clean her ears.

What is your kitten's name?

hippo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dirty ears are generally ear mites. My vet's told me that drops used for cleaning ears are pointless and if I really felt the need, just use warm water or saline. If they are infected, then a medicated drop will be prescribed.

Otherwise, treat mama cat (I assume at 7 weeks old that the kitten is still with the mama?) with Revolution, which treats earmites, and it should pass onto the kitten until she is old enough to have the Revolution put directly on her.

Good luck! No one likes giving ear rubs to find gunk on their hands!

thevegancuddler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Dirty ears are generally ear mites. My vet's told me that drops used for cleaning ears are pointless and if I really felt the need, just use warm water or saline. If they are infected, then a medicated drop will be prescribed.

Otherwise, treat mama cat (I assume at 7 weeks old that the kitten is still with the mama?) with Revolution, which treats earmites, and it should pass onto the kitten until she is old enough to have the Revolution put directly on her.

Good luck! No one likes giving ear rubs to find gunk on their hands!
I HOPE she's with Momma, but alas... loads of kittens are given away at seven and even six weeks now. =/

I'd take kitty to the vet to be sure. Ear mites are VERY common in kittens. All of my four kittens had them at one time or another, multiple times even. It's an easy fix, just needs to be addressed.