Insecurity / Anxiety

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Last October 30, my dad noticed a cat walking down the sidewalk in the rain meowing like crazy. I was able to capture her using food as a lure and bring her in. She was super skinny and terrified beyond belief but by the next morning she was eating and sitting with us as if she had been there for awhile. She was litter box trained and overall pretty friendly so we knew she had to belong to someone at some point, but it was also evident that she had not been cared for in months. We did take her to the vet to see if she had a chip, but none was found. So, my dad named her 'Misty', since he saw her through the mist, and just like that my parents had a cat.

Fast forward to Christmas Day- My mom purposefully delayed Misty's spaying until after Christmas for financial reasons and said that she would get her spayed the first paycheck after Christmas. True to her word, my mom scheduled her spay appointment for December 28. Christmas evening, Dec. 25, my brothers (who were visiting, not residents) let her out on accident. We looked everywhere but alas-- no Misty. Good news was that we did eventually find her- 27 days later on Jan 22. I was driving over to my parent's house and scanning my eyes looking for her (as became my new habit) when she ran out of the road right in front of my car! I stopped in the middle of the street and called her over to me- luckily she came within arm's length so that I could grab her. Of course she was pregnant.

Feb 28- Babies!! 5 adorable baby kittens that look nothing like Mama...but she was a great one. Super protective and constantly by their side. Those babies wanted for nothing and I found them all good homes when they got old enough. Also, at this point, Misty moved from my parents house to mine as I had more time that I could devote to caring for them. She's never left my house & annoying the other cat that I have is pretty much her favorite thing to do. (By annoying I mean waiting around the corner & pouncing on her.)

May 17- Misty got spayed. Also, she had a really unusual reaction to it all. I was told typical behavior would be that she would be super sleepy for a couple of days, she may want extra attention, or that she may just need to be left alone. She went nuts- running 1000 MPH,  jumping on everything, and destroying her toys to the point that I had to take them away.

Now- My parents just moved in with me. It's not permanent, they had a house fire and need a place to stay. However, since they have been here Misty has refused to leave my bedroom when I am not in the house. It's not like she doesn't know them- and they have never mistreated her in any way. She lived with them for at least three months and has seen them since moving in with me when they stopped by to visit. She has never had an issue before. Also, she has never been a cuddly cat...but wants my attention at all times when I am home. She sleeps with me (a serious first), rubs against my legs, meows for me when she cannot find me, and is only truly content when I am petting her. I have not moved food or the litter box into my bedroom and so I guess she does leave for them. However, today I opened a can of wet food to see if I could tempt her out on her own and it didn't work. My dad seems to be her bigger worry of the two, which is really strange since he was her buddy before me. Could she feel abandoned by him? Or do you know of any other reasons as to why she could feel so insecure? It's been a week. I know that isn't a ton of time for an animal to adjust, but that is why I left her history- she has always adjusted to things really well. Why is this time so differently? If it helps, I'd say she is close to 2 yrs in age.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
your parents could use a soap that she associates with her previous owners who dumped her, or they could speak loudly, which could scare her.  maybe they argue when you're not around, which makes her feel scared of them.  maybe their clothes smell - to misty's sensitive nose - like smoke, which scared her.  maybe your dad is moving abruptly, or your folks could be upset - and who could blame them, with the fire? - and she's picking up on that.  she was gone for so long, i can't help wondering if someone else is feeding her, and they could have mistreated her. 

since misty can't talk, there's no way to be sure.  just take it easy on her, let her hide if she needs to, and suggest that dad offer her some treats but not to approach her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you. When I woke up this morning she was out in the living room playing with a new toy that I picked up for her this weekend. That was super encouraging.

My parents work opposite shifts so they are never really home at the same time on weekdays- I don't think that them arguing is an issue.

However, my dad does whistle or sing constantly and she does have a tendency to be noise sensitive..so I bet that might be it. I'll have to tell him to cut it down some and allow her to get used to him again.

As far as the mistreatment-- I sure hope that didn't happen to her. Jan 22, the night I found her again, she laid on my dad and slept for a couple of hours. She really was his cat up until she moved in with me in March.

I am positive I am making a big deal out of nothing, but it's just so strange that her personality has changed so drastically so quickly. Don't get me wrong- I do love the cuddles!

profdanglais

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I couldn't say for sure what is going on, but let me offer two experiences that may help: 

1) My kittens also went crazy after they were spayed/neutered. They weren't sleepy at all, and my girl was absolutely nuts, trying to rip things up and batting at my hands with her claws out, which she hasn't done since she was tiny. I think she scratched me more in the few hours after she got home from the spaying than she had in the two months she's lived with me. I've also heard other stories about other cat owners having similar experiences. So your kitty's behaviour was probably normal.

2) Last week, my friend who looks after my kittens' mother and who raised them from birth until I adopted them, came to visit me. We weren't sure if the kittens would recognise her, but I think they did. Hester was fairly friendly to her, coming up to be petted, but Hugo mostly hid. When my friend was leaving, I picked Hugo up so she could say goodbye and he hissed at her! He has never hissed before, he is a very sweet natured boy. I couldn't account for it, but then I wondered if maybe he thought she was going to take him away, back to her house. It might be the same with your cat and your parents. Maybe Misty is worried that your parents will take her away from you. I don't think that would be anything against your parents or my friend, just that the cats are happy where they are and don't want a change. 

Hope that's helpful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heathernichelle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! It is- I hadn't thought of it in that manner. Well she has nothing to fear...my parents won't be taking her away.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
unfortunately you have no way to tell her that.

glad to hear she was out playing this morning :)