Injured Cat

giorgia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The year before I worked for a few months in a small village. I had a house and a garden and I fed a male young cat. A year after, I just came back to the same house and I (today) find this cat in a miserable state. The most important thing is that he is limping and it seems that something has been stuck in his right paw. He is somehow afraid of me and I cannot approach him too much. I fed him and I thought of getting him to the vet. But how? He is too afraid and I do now know how to handle him, because I never had a pet. Is there a way to help him remove the object by himself? I read in another thread of this forum that a paw bath would help, but I suspect that it is something of a nail that has been stuck underneath its paw.
I do not know how to help him but I'm determined to.
I would appreciate any advice on the issue

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest trapping him and taking him to a vet who knows beforehand that he is a feral cat (some vets won't work with ferals). However, a lot of cats will be so panicked by being trapped that they injure themselves trying to escape. :(

If you are going to trap him, then have an appointment to have him neutered and vaccinated while they treat his paw. That would be the best thing you could do for him to increase his odds of having a longer, healthier life. :catrub:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi giorgia giorgia , welcome to TCS and I agree with what orange&white orange&white mentioned. If you can, trap him ASAP and and bring him in to the vet.

Can you get assistance from your local cat rescue group to help you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giorgia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would suggest trapping him and taking him to a vet who knows beforehand that he is a feral cat (some vets won't work with ferals). However, a lot of cats will be so panicked by being trapped that they injure themselves trying to escape. :(

If you are going to trap him, then have an appointment to have him neutered and vaccinated while they treat his paw. That would be the best thing you could do for him to increase his odds of having a longer, healthier life. :catrub:
orange&white and tabbytom thank you both for your response. And I thank you for accepting me in the forum. Unfortunately there is no animal shelter not even kind of close here. There is only a veterinarian. Hope he helps.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Give him a call. I know my vet gives big discounts to people who help feral cats, but not all vets are so generous.

giorgia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your interest! Indeed I talked to him and he seemed very cooperative. He proposed to come over and examine the cat.

giorgia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Although I don't know what is gonna cost me..:lol2: