Ingested decorative straw. Now vomiting x 10 days.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this. And I'm sorry I didn't answer your PICA question. PICA can be acute or chronic. It's a symptom rather than a diagnosis.

To add to other's advice, I got a Baby Bullet blender when I was syringe feeding my old CRF cat. That way I could blend any canned food that I needed to.

Please keep us updated and I'm sending lots of good vibes your way!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparklethecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, all. I do know about assist feeding, but right now he is eating on his own. I am hoping the Cerenia will keep the nausea at bay so he can keep it down. His red blood cell count was normal, but may have decreased after the blood work.

My husband and I just discussed using the Lukeran in addition to the prednisolone. I think we are going to call the vet back and try that as well. It's not terribly expensive and from what I've read there are minimal side effects. (Could a mod move this to another forum, if necessary?)

I am just hoping he has some pain free time left and were able to make him comfortable and happy. I will not let him suffer.

Can we have vibes that his tummy fur grows back quickly?! :)

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It you need to use Lukeran I recommend going here. http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/

When my precious girl had Lymphoma a year ago I used them and they saved me a HUGE amount of money which was needed to put towards other vet expenses. I think my vet was going to charge me around 175 dollars for a month worth and they gave it to me for 56 dollars. Just a hint, sadly I stupidly decided to do surgery for Cricketa and she passed away from complications before she ever got to try the chemo. I do not recommend surgery for intestinal lymphoma, it is expensive and painful with a very small chance of it prolonging their life, for my girl it shortened hers. She was doing ok, playing, eating and happy until we had the surgery. She only made it 2 weeks after the surgery before a stitch busted internally and caused massive bleeding and death. Anyways, just my 2 cents and I hope that the pharmacy I listed saves you money

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so very sorry about the diagnosis. :(. I am glad you decided to get that second opinion and now have an answer as to what is wrong with Sparkle. There are options available and ways to make him comfortable. LDG has some great suggestions above for things to try right now. All my best and mega vibes to you. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:doh3: Sparkle has small cell lymphoma! (I assume they did a biopsy to determine this?) Leukeran is the treatment for small cell lymphoma. I'm so sorry, I don't know where my brain is. I automatically think large cell, because of the use of the word "masses," but that doesn't mean large cell. So forget reading about Toby and Lazlo - they had large cell lymphoma. I'm so sorry! I know your brain is already in overdrive as it is right now. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

Leukeran is usually really well tolerated by cats, and small cell lymphoma has a much better probability for successful outcome than large cell lymphoma.

I'm SO glad he's eating on his own. For most cats, the cerenia seems to really help with the nausea. I hope it does for Sparkle, too! :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would also suggest joining the lymphoma Yahoo group. It is supposed to be a very good one, with a vet who posts there regularly.

sparklethecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
48 hours and no throw up!  All he really wants to eat are crunchy Temptations treats, so I just gave him some in his bowl like regular kibble.  He was so happy!  He did eat some canned food too though.  We'll be starting the Leukeran pills tomorrow.   

sparklethecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet called in one month of the Leukeran Rx today (my husband is the Pharmacist filling it). He asked if there should be any refills... She said "Well, we can be optimistic and give him one refill." My husband was furious and upset at the same time. He called her back later to say how unprofessional and uncaring it was of her to say that. (I tried to tell him not to). I understand that possibility but I don't think he had accepted it just yet.

I said all we can do is take care of him and keep him happy as long as we can.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow - that really is unpleasant. I'd be upset too. :(

Please keep us posted on how he does on the leukeran. I hope he tolerates it well, and it does the job!!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: