Infected Genitals In Male Kitten

Rabbit Patch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About three weeks ago I was given five 3 to 4 week old kittens who's mamma cat had been killed. Yesterday I noticed one of the males had a swollen back end around his penis. I took him to the Vet who told me that sometimes very young kittens without a mother will suckle on anything they can get their mouth around and another male kittens genitals can get infected. Because the kitten is so young about all we can do is put him on Clavamox and seperate him from the others. Both of which I did. I was told to keep an eye on his urine output because it will be deadly if he couldn't pee. By this morning he still had not peed. So I put his butt in warm water and soaked the opening open. Suddenly he peed all over the place (thank goodness). I am willing to do this as much as needed but I do have to work. So I have a couple questions. First, has anyone had this happen and did the little one recover? Second, how long did it take for the swelling to go down? And third, how long can a kitten go without peeing (hopefully at least 10 hours because that is what I work)?

I am so worried for this little guy. I wish I had known to separate them so this wouldn't have happened but they loved playing with each other so much. I feel like such a bad pet mom right now.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
When kittens are younger they need... stimulation... to pee. So what you did with the warm water was a great idea. I'm not quite sure how long they can go without peeing but 10 hours sounds like too much. Do you have a friend or relative who can watch the kitten while you are away for work?

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not that familiar with kittens. It's been two years since Atticus and Thirteen were youngsters, and back then they went to work with me in their cat beds. I would feed them every two hours or so and then stimulate them so it does seem as if ten hours is a long time. How often are they fed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rabbit Patch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are eating out of a dish right now and fed kitten milk replacer three times a day with free feeding of dry kitten food (per Vet instructions). They have been peeing on their own for about a week, using a little box quite well. It's the infection that is my problem now. I have to physically open his penis for him to pee because of the swelling. But so far it is working, thank goodness. He did pee once on his own but when soaked his little butt again he peed and peed so I know he didn't empty his bladder. It just hurts him him to manipulate his sore penis and I hate hurting him. With him being so little there is no pain medication he can take so he just has to deal. I just want him feeling better and back to his old playful self and I don't want to torture him if he's not going to make it.

Thank you for all your help.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing every thing you can, and he knows it. Just keep soaking his little bottom in warm water and stimulating him with a warm washcloth. Getting the antibiotic into him is very important right now, is it liquid? If not, call the vet and see if you can crush the pill. Put it in a SMALL amount of tuna juice and encourage him to lap it up, (put the rest covered in the fridge to be used for the next dose.) or in a small amt. of formula. As long as you see him go even a small amount in the litter box, he should be OK for 10 hours until you can stimulate him. Call the vet to be sure or see what they suggest. It will take a couple of days for the swelling to go down, just keep monitoring how much he goes and stop stimulating when you get nothing or he is going as much as the others.
You might get a topical antibiotic or something herbal and soothing to apply directly to his genitals, that may help to reduce the irritation and bring down the swelling, see what the vet thinks and recommends. There are several at farm supply stores like Tractor supply or Orschelns, or your local pet store.
It seems cruel now to have to do this to him, but it isn't any worse then the torture of a bursting bladder.You could call the vet or your local shelter and see if they can give you the number of a foster 'parent' who has gone through something similar, it may help. You have kept them alive for three weeks now, saved them from certain death. You are just about at the stage where it will finally give you break from all the constant attention you are having to give them, I salute you and your loving heart, you must be exhausted! I'll pray for the sweet little boy to recover quickly, please keep us posted!

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I've got orphaned kittens that are about 5 weeks old right now. They pee a lot more than that, they seem to go every couple of hours.

Is he taking the Clavamox? As long as you are able to get his meds into him regularly the infection and swelling should soon start to go down.

I'd be worried about him having to go without peeing for as long as ten hours though. Is there anyone who can help him while you're at work? Could you take him to work in a carrier with you? Could you leave him at the vet's while you're at work? Ask a pet sitter to come once a day?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Try to get Udder Balm to apply to his penis. It is non-toxic and will offer relief. Hopefully he will begin to get better soon!