Indoor to Outdoor

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creepyowl

I just know that my cat has desires to go outside and witness the Universe with as much freedom as I do. I would just have to trust that he will return every night.

I have decided to go with the harness idea, mostly because my cat is so cute I'd be afraid that someone would steal him.
Why after seven years of allowing this cat to be an inside only cat, would you now be saying your cat has desires to go outside and witness the universe with freedom. How has that changed in seven years? Cats who have always lived in the wild do learn some things about how to survive. However, they are never safe and are always living on borrowed time. I am glad you have decided not to turn your cat loose and trust it to come home. I agree with what everyone else said about a cat enclosure or a harness and lead. Good luck.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Nekomania

People who let their cats out on purpose because they think it is "better for the cat" to let it be connected with its "wild instincts" are just to easy to accept the fact that they are ultimately the one's responsible for their cats death.
This is not a fair thing to say about people who have outdoor cats. My crew go outside. They are very happy and would die if they were forced to stay inside. I do not like being called a murderer of cats just because I am not as paranoid as indoor cat owners.

However, I do find it strange that the OP suddenly decided to let her indoor cat of 7 years outside. Cats do not like sudden changes and if the "dangers" of the outdoors won't kill it, the shock of the change most likely will.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Come on, what's with the name calling insults? I don't believe anyone called you a murderer, in fact this is your first post in this thread?

There's room for all opinions here. Peace!
Someone said people who let their cats outdoors "are ultimately the one's responsible for their cats death." This implies that all cat owners who let their cats outdoors are like that. I believe thats what she meant when she said people called her a murderer.

lyrajean

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try and inject a sensible middle of the road track into this discussion. As you can see everyone has very strong opinions on this subject.

My family's cats in VT have always been and will most always be in/outdoor cats as we have a family member with a cognitive disability who cannot be relied on to keep the cat in, and they live in a relatively safe rural area in a house set back from the road. Their current cat Midori was apparently a previously indoor only DMH. Adopted at 4yrs of age. She lived inside quite happily for several years before developing a desire to go outside all summer. My folks happily obliged her. Slowly at first. They do try to keep her in at night, and obviously she stays in once the snow flies. But as you can see it is possible to transition a previously indoor only with great caution.

My cat here in Okinawa, Aya, is an indoor only. I'm in a second floor apartment that does not allow cats and there are busy city streets and a large uncontrolled feral population outside. She seems happy too.

I guess what I'm saying is 'every situation is different'.

If you are going to go this route there are several things to consider:

1. Location, do you live in an area where the cats can be safe outdoors, away from hostile neighbors, busy streets, predators and feral cat populations.

2. The cat, cats like people come in a range of intelligences and stupidity. Some were designed to be successful outside and some weren't. Also some cats have health issues and are undoubtedly better off indoors at all times, like previously declawed cats.

3. Can you do what is neccessary to protect your cat outdoors and reduce undesired accidents: spay/neuter, harness training, enclosure, parasite protection, regular vet vists and vaccinations, limiting outdoor time to specific hours like daytime only?

4. Can you accept the increased risk of accidents and a possibly shortened lifespan: HBC, predatory behavior (gift bringing), parasites, etc...?

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my mums cats are outdoor and her cat that passed away last year was 21 and none of her cats now are under 13 years. My thoughts were just why after 7 years? I don't think I would after that amount of time. I think that calling people murderers if they let their cats out is totally wrong. My nans cats have also been outdoor and all of her cats have lived to atleast 17. x