Indoor to Outdoor

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of letting my indoor cat of 7 years have some time outside on his own. Is there any steps I should take when doing this?

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I highly recommend you don't do it. He is an indoor cat, he has no idea how to take care of himself outside. He wouldn't know how to avoid cars, or defend himself against other cats, dogs or wild animals, not to mention sick people who go out of their way to hurt cats.

Harness train him and take him out supervised, or build an outdoor enclosure. Don't risk your boy, it's just not worth it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What you mean? Letting him out on his own? Or you have a fenced/cat proof yard? God, please please don't let him out on his own... That can be a quick death sentence... He has been inside for 7 years and has no idea how to defend himself against the dangers of the outside World... You might think you are doing him a favor, but you might be putting his life in danger....

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and glad you asked. Yes, build a secure enclosure.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Letting your cat outside is like putting a 2 year old child out on his own. Would you do that??

Cat enclosures are very popular and a safe way to let your cat out. Mine go in and out at will into theirs.

Please do not let your kitty out unattended. Leash or enclosure. Or be prepared to loose him.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such harsh words. All cats die, outside life isn't a death sentence. My outside cat looks both ways before going in the street. She knows her name and runs to me when called.

Yes there are risks, there are risks inside our homes too.

OP if you would like to have a serious unopinionated rude conversation about transitiong, PM me.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jack31

Such harsh words. All cats die, outside life isn't a death sentence. My outside cat looks both ways before going in the street. She knows her name and runs to me when called.

Yes there are risks, there are risks inside our homes too.

OP if you would like to have a serious unopinionated rude conversation about transitiong, PM me.
No one was rude. We care about what happens to the OPs cat. Your outside cat may be savvy to the dangers of outside but the cat in question is a senior cat (yes seven is considered senior) who has been an inside cat all his life.

Creepyowl was given good advice about ways to allow their kitty outside time in a safe protected way.

I passed four dead cats today. My work is itinerant. I was on local roads today, all day, some city, some country, and saw four dead cats. They were all from last night or today, because I was on the same roads yesterday.

And I stopped each time to make sure they were dead, because if they weren't I would have picked them up and taken them to the vet on call this weekend. They were all dead, so I moved the ones who were in the middle of the road to the side of the road, then sat in my car and cried.

And I wondered...was someone on a tear last night, looking for cats to kill? That happens. People hate cats and will go to great lengths to injure them. If it was deliberate pausing to look both ways would have done none of those cats any good.

Whether the deaths were deliberate or accidents, they all could have been prevented.

"All cats die"? Sure they do but I prefer my cats to die loved, in my arms, after a long happy life, not brutally on a cold dark road.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

No one was rude. We care about what happens to the OPs cat. Your outside cat may be savvy to the dangers of outside but the cat in question is a senior cat (yes seven is considered senior) who has been an inside cat all his life.

Creepyowl was given good advice about ways to allow their kitty outside time in a safe protected way.

I passed four dead cats today. My work is itinerant. I was on local roads today, all day, some city, some country, and saw four dead cats. They were all from last night or today, because I was on the same roads yesterday.

And I stopped each time to make sure they were dead, because if they weren't I would have picked them up and taken them to the vet on call this weekend. They were all dead, so I moved the ones who were in the middle of the road to the side of the road, then sat in my car and cried.

And I wondered...was someone on a tear last night, looking for cats to kill? That happens. People hate cats and will go to great lengths to injure them. If it was deliberate pausing to look both ways would have done none of those cats any good.

Whether the deaths were deliberate or accidents, they all could have been prevented.

"All cats die"? Sure they do but I prefer my cats to die loved, in my arms, after a long happy life, not brutally on a cold dark road.
Thank you

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wish I had a dime for every "street savvy" cat I see lying by the side of the road every day. Cats don't understand cars. They don't understand what is essentially a 4,000 pound predator that can do 70 mph.

A secure outside run is a good idea, if you feel your cat really needs it, but be warned that if you start that, he will be very insistent on going outside a lot of the time.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Until my current crew ; my cats were all indoor / outdoor , all saw 14 - nearly 20 ...

At age 7 I agree enclosure or lead is best ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First, I'd like to thank everyone for the advice. I did take everything that was written into consideration when making my decision.

But...

Originally Posted by farleyv

Letting your cat outside is like putting a 2 year old child out on his own. Would you do that??
A 2 year old child and a 7 year old cat are very different things. At about 10 weeks a cat is able to survive without it's mother. A 2 year old can't.

No matter how much you would like to think of your cat as a "baby" the reality is that a cat is an animal with instincts and desires.

"He wouldn't know how to avoid cars, or defend himself against other cats, dogs or wild animals, not to mention sick people who go out of their way to hurt cats." -otto

Cars, other animals, sick people.... aren't these things we face everyday too.

Yes, I agree he wouldn't know how to avoid cars, it would be something to learn. He has been around other cats, he can hold his own. He isn't declawed, so he has a great fighting chance. Sick people are out there no matter what.

I just know that my cat has desires to go outside and witness the Universe with as much freedom as I do. I would just have to trust that he will return every night.

I have decided to go with the harness idea, mostly because my cat is so cute I'd be afraid that someone would steal him.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am of the opinion that at 7 years old your cat is pretty used to being an indoor cat and would probably not do well on his own outside as he hasn't ever had the opportunity to be "socialized" to things that can be scary for a cat in the outdoor world. His "learning" period is over and now I do think it would be a rough and very stressful transition.

You also have to be courteous to the people around you because a lot of people dislike outdoor cats. Not only are you risking your neighbors becoming less fond of you, but you are also risking your cat's health and well-being by subjecting him to the possibly cruel antics that will be taken to keep him off someone else's property.

As far as it goes, you are the ultimate decision maker and you know what is best for your cat. But although he may be lucky for a while, most outdoor cats meet an untimely end whether by car, neighbor, disease, or a very hungry predator. Around here we have mountain lions that love to snatch up kitties and doggies.

I take my cat out on a harness and lead. And I hope to someday build an outdoor enclosure in order to give my cat the freedom and joy of going outside, but at the same time keeping him relatively safe from those dangers.

Also, if you think your cat would "learn" to avoid cars, you have to realize the possibility that he might "learn" the hard way just as he may learn the hard way that not all people are nice. Just because a cat isn't declawed doesn't automatically make him a great fighter and a survivor.

No matter how much you dislike comparing a cat to a toddler, it really is true.

Although cats can survive early on without their mother, they still exhibit many of the same curious and sometimes dangerous behaviors that toddlers exhibit. Cats (or puppies) and toddlers both learn about the world in remarkably similar ways. And touching or smelling or putting certain things in your mouth can be a death sentence.

People who let their cats out on purpose because they think it is "better for the cat" to let it be connected with its "wild instincts" are just to easy to accept the fact that they are ultimately the one's responsible for their cats death. Although your cat may be curious and want to explore outside, I have a feeling that he is happier being well-fed and played with than having to fight for his life.

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

People hate cats and will go to great lengths to injure them.
Isn't that the truth. When I was 8 years old my parents had a cat named Ally, they let him outside thinking he had street smarts and everything was always fine, so it would always be fine. Our cat was captured, tortured, and had his legs and hip broken in several places. The vet said it looked like someone or a group of someone's took a bike and ran it over and over him. Our poor cat was able to crawl home and he was a horrendous site. I won't ever forget it.

My cats are indoor only unless I take them out on a harness. They are very happy, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creepyowl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is a horrific story. Its too bad there are people like that out there.

I did come to this site for some insight to the idea.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creepyowl

That is a horrific story. Its too bad there are people like that out there.

I did come to this site for some insight to the idea.
Yes, the statistics are out there, that inside cats live a much much longer life than outside cats... But I think that the biggest problem with your cat, specifically, is that he has been an inside cat for his whole life - for 7 years... Now, for HIM, it is too late and way too risky... We have seen here at TCS inside plenty of cats that escaped and died in a matter of a days or even hours... It is really bad and dangerous. Take a look at the session called Rainbow Bridge, and you can see it there...

Have you seen the portable cabanas they have? Kind of cat tents you can store in your house and take it with you to the garden to leave him outside? That can be an option too... They are not too expensive... Granted, they don't give much space, but when my cats went out supervised with me to the garden, they pretty much only sat on a chair and watched life going by

There are some tips in training with the harness too, maybe you should open a thread - otherwise you run the risk of them begging to go outside 24x7, which is what happened to me, and why I stopped letting them out - it was out of control!

Anyways, I am glad you found your compromise!

Good luck!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad that you considered all options before making up your mind, that really says alot about you. Alot of people just do things on a whim, exsp with animals.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by farleyv

Depends. You said A 2 year old child, not mine, right? Is the hypothetical baby really fussy and annoying? =p

I agree, an enclosure with a nice cat door is the best way to go. Most convenient at my house would be to hook the enclosure up next to a window, and put the entrance through there. Cats are territorial creatures of habit anyway, so probably feel safer and more relaxed that way regardless.

Hook em up with some Advantage though as preventative since they can get fleas and what not more easily outdoors.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok., why after 7 years would you consider this? My cats I class as indoor outdoor but they are outdoor with supervision and they don't roam, must have them well trained
I just wouldn't consider letting an indoor cat outdoors after 7 years. x

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Depends. You said A 2 year old child, not mine, right? Is the hypothetical baby really fussy and annoying? =p

I agree, an enclosure with a nice cat door is the best way to go. Most convenient at my house would be to hook the enclosure up next to a window, and put the entrance through there. Cats are territorial creatures of habit anyway, so probably feel safer and more relaxed that way regardless.

Hook em up with some Advantix though as preventative since they can get fleas and what not more easily outdoors.
NOT ADVANTIX

K9Advantix is for dogs only. Advantix is HIGHLY TOXIC to cats and it is recommended that it is not even used on dogs in households that contain cats, that's how serious it is.

I'm sure you meant Advantage, but please, be careful when posting info like this.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm sure you meant Advantage, but please, be careful when posting info like this.
Advantage9 is what I use, sorry, editing post now.