Indoor Cat Recently Aggressive To Outdoor Cats

4Puns&Honor

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never posted on here, so my apologies if this is still the wrong forum. I wondered if anyone else experienced this and what you did.

I live in an apartment on the bottom floor, and just adopted a 6-7 month old rescue cat. He was rescued off the street at 3 months. His rescuer had 4 other non-related rescue cats which he was friendly with.

Lately, it looks like there have been neighbor cats coming around. It causes my cat (neutered around xmas) to scream, puff up, and generally be loud and agitated. I'm sure my neighbors loved the 7:30A wakeup battlecry.

Unfortunately, the way the apartment windows are set up, I can't limit his access to them. I've tried looking at various sites online, but everything seems oriented toward solutions for houses/private property. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what did you do? Aside from delivering cookies and earplugs to the neighbors, I'm stumped.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, at least he isn't marking inside the house, which is certainly all to the good! Let me see...no way to block his sight of the neighborhood cats. Well. Um. First, he is new to your home, and not really secure in his new territory yet. As he becomes aware that the cats canNOT come in, he may settle down about them. I had that issue with Hekitty when I first moved downstairs. She had lived her entire life on the second floor, and seeing her first cat up close was a huge shock to her furry little kitty system! She sounded rather like an enraged dragon with heartburn. After a year, although she still occsionally gives an obligatory hiss, she pretty much just sits at the window and taunts them with the fact that she is in, and they are out.

Since you live in an apartment, you might try spraying citrus oil mixed with water around the areas where the windows are. It is toxic to cats, and they automatically avoid it. The problem with that is you would have to apply it almost daily due to rain, dew, etc. However, after a certain amount of time, the cats would give up and go elsewhere for amusement.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
She sounded rather like an enraged dragon with heartburn.
oh, too funny.

Since you live in an apartment, you might try spraying citrus oil mixed with water around the areas where the windows are. It is toxic to cats, and they automatically avoid it. The problem with that is you would have to apply it almost daily due to rain, dew, etc. However, after a certain amount of time, the cats would give up and go elsewhere for amusement.
:yeah:

Back to the inside, I've been thinking, is it happening at pretty much the same time? Maybe you could remove him to a bathroom with a door you can close? :paperbag: if he can't see them, maybe the yelling/drama won't happen:angrycat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You are more than welcome! Let us know if it works, and stick around...you may end up helping another person with the same problem in the future! That's kinda what TCS is all about!