Indoor cat of 7 years suddenly tested positive for FELV - multi cat household. Devastated and lost.

radarlove413

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a multi cat household. Our original boy, Dunlop, was adopted as a stray outdoors in 2015. When we adopted him, he was tested for FELV, FIV, full blood test - all came back healthy. The feline leukaemia test was negative so he's had the vaccine, in addition to all the other normal stuff. Our tabby was a year old at the time.

3 weeks ago, Dunlop had an eye injury from running into an object. This past week he started wanting to eat litter, so I took him to the vet to check for anemia. I thought it could be renal disease, but we were all shocked when he tested positive for FELV.

We have two other cats. Cocoa, who is negative and fully vaccinated. We also have Donatello, who was negative. I didn't realize that our old vet had stopped vaccinated him for leukemia when we adopted him from the SPCA. She assumed, since Dunlop was negative, that Donatello wouldn't need it because they're indoor cats. Now Donatello is being tested for FELV and vaccinated. I'm devastated that I also didn't realize this was missing from his records but not our other two cats.

Dunlop is anemic right now. He's being sent home with Prednisone and vitamins. He's having fluids, steroids, and vitamins at the vet. If his anemia resolves we can possibly try an HIV drug on him, but that's in the future. I thought we did everything right with trying to keep our cats safe. I realize now that we can never adopt again until Dunlop and Donatello cross over, and Cocoa tests negative. I am so confused by the literature. I know you're supposed to keep FELV positive cats and negative cats separated. It's impossible to do this in our home and will greatly diminish Dunlop's quality of life. He's pretty bonded with Donatello.

I've dealt with end renal failure but never FELV. If anyone has advice, or resources, or a story they want to share I would love to hear it. This was the last thing I expected to find out today. I'm trying not to see this as an immediate death sentence, but I thought we'd done everything right by getting everyone tested before they were brought into the home. They're all indoor, never go outside.

The only positive thing here is that our pet insurance will cover these costs since Dunlop was negative at the time his policy was written. They said the should be able to preauthorize any treatment he needs.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is very sad, I'm sorry for your family. If Donatello and Cocoa are vaccinated, can they then be around Dunlop if they don't share bowls for food and water? I hope Dunlop can still have years of good quality life.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So these three cats have already been living together for sometime, yes? If so, I don't really see why you would need to separate them at this point. Dunlop has probably carried the virus all his life, otherwise where would he have gotten it? So the others have already been exposed and either have it, or their vaccines have worked. I would just keep up to date on their vaccines and continue as you are with the exception of treating Dunlop as needed. Just my two cents.

Hoping Dunlop gets over the anemia quickly. there are other things that can be done other than what you said so far though, if he doesn't.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
does the vet who ran the test for him know that he was vaccinated as a kitten? At one time, after ours were vaccinated, we were told that now that they were vaccinated for the Felv, they would always test positive for it. And that humane societies would consider them positive and if they tried to home them would do so as Felv cats. It seemed strange and bad, but I think it is something you should mention to the vet.

I really would hope that my information is wrong, but it did from from the vet's office. It could still be wrong and would be a great relief to me to know that it is.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am sorry to read this and understand how devastated you are, especially when you have been so careful with your cats. You may have encountered a false negative on the test, especially if the cat was in the early stages. I mention this only because I had huge issues with a false negative test at one point, the details of which are not important here.

I agree with the management plan suggested by mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens . That is what I would do if these were my cats.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it feels like it but, a diagnosis itself is NOT a death sentence! My Felv cat was diagnosed close to 14 years ago and he is still going strong. We have had some ups and downs but he is in pretty good shape and happy. From my understanding and experience with a whole Felv colony of cats, the greatest risk is to kittens, to cats being bitten ,mating and mom cats carrying babies. The illness can become active when positive cats are exposed to any illness so I must keep my Felv cat away from my FIV cat or any contagious sick cat. No sharing of food, litter, water or any biting. The virus does not live long outside the body from what my vet tells me. I do let the cats interact with most of the other cats here . I supervise the Felv. I would not just leave him out with all the others if I have to be gone though. He is very content to snuggle down in the bedroom. None of my others who grew up with him before his diagnosis have been diagnosed with Felv. If my Felv cat becomes actively ill, he will not allowed around the others. There are different stages of Felv. Some cats have immune systems that conquer it! You really need to have a frank discussion with your vet and maybe a second one since opinions vary. Read up. As for the anemia, boost his diet. Keep him on a very nutritious diet. My Felv cat , Mackie, craves red meat at times and he gets it. He has trouble digesting some cat foods so he gets what he can enjoy. Quality of life is so important. There are other treatments for anemia if needed but the vet can handle that if it should arise. I know I may lose my Mackie before he is a real senior cat but I just try and give him the happiest life I can and lots of love. Like you, when I first heard “positive” I was fearful. Well over a decade later, we are still together. There are others here that have Felv cats too. Hopefully they will weigh in as well. Don’t give up. We will be here for you and please update us!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cornell says FeLV vaccine does not cause false positives on the FeLV tests. Feline Leukemia Virus.

But the vet I go to says both false positives and false negatives are possible. Maybe not very likely, but still possible. Especially with those quick snap tests they do at the clinic.

I'm definitely not the most informed person on FeLV so maybe it's me but somethings sounds off in your story to me. Because you say all cats were tested negative and vaccinated at one point. If they didn't interact with any other cat for a prolonged time after, they can't get FeLV. So either someone's negative result was false originally, or this positive result for Dunlop is false.

Assuming the diagnosis would be similar to other viruses, if they only did a snap test for FeLV, I would get the cat tested for antibody amount. Maybe at a different clinic for a second opinion?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we had a cat who was anemic close to death from a bad flea infestation and recovering, we were given iron medicine - a liquid with a dropper- it was similar if not the same as what we were given as children. Pet Tinct, I think. If you get this, and I would suggest it over cooking liver every day, be aware that it is sticky. It will come off of walls and floors with soap and water, but try to cover upholstered furniture near where you give it to kitty. It did work, kit recovered and lived for several more years.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that was very sick off and on and finally tested positive for FeLV. We all assume the other two have it too since they have lived together all their lives, in fact, one is the boy's mother. My vet stated his white blood count was almost nonexistent, and he didn't understand how he was still alive, he gave him DAYS to live. Needless to say, I was crying in the vet's office and both of us were devastated. He was SO sick he wouldn't move, couldn't stand, and lost about 2/3 of his weight. We actually dug his grave, I got some Hartz Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors, they won't eat the bisque, and he took a few licks! He only ate about a tablespoon of food for several days and SLOWLY got better! Everything I read on the internet was so discouraging, I really didn't have much hope. Then I started reading that older cats that contract the disease sometimes can fight it off enough to survive, for years. Kittens are the most vulnerable. I read their immune systems are VERY compromised and they can pick up about any flu, etc. that goes around, so no contact with other cats. They said it is now known that casual contact is thought not to be a big spreader of the disease, it is usually deep bites. So I started them ALL on DMG, an immune builder supplement I get on Amazon and Walmart online. I also started them all on LifeGold from these same sites, a cancer-fighting supplement. I mix it from a shared pack of Delectable Lickables every day, and I keep it around for if they relapse. They also became strictly inside cats. I didn't understand how he could still be alive with almost no white blood cells but remembered that the bone marrow makes new white and red cells every 30 days or so, so until their bone marrow is infected, they will make more. I wouldn't separate your cats now if they get along, keep things as normal as possible. I know how devastating this can be, but keep hopeful and pray a lot......
I am happy to report that they are all 7, 7.5, and 8 years old now, 19 months later! All are fat and sassy! Acting perfectly normal, and we are so thankful for every day we have. So don't give up, fight this, and just love those sweet babies!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So Dunlop tested negative in 2015, but tested positive in 2021, and in the meantime he didn't leave your house, nor did you bring other positive cats home. Where should he have got this FeLV?
So, I don't think he had a false negative test in 2015, because if he was positive 6 years ago, he wouldn't be still here now.
It is possible that the last test gave a false positive, so my advice would be to have him tested again at a different clinic, and if needed have a PCR test done.
The quick tests (snap tests) do not pick up the antibodies for FeLV, they pick up the antigenes. So, the FeLV vaccine shouldn't alter the test.

When did Cocoa and Donatello arrived in your household? As far as I have understood, they were both tested (negative) and both vaccinated for FeLV, but then your vet stopped keeping Donatello's vaccine up to date, but continued with Cocoa?
How many shots did they receive in their life? When did your vet stop giving Donatello the vaccine?

Like mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens said, after all this time, separating then is pointless. Whatever the outcome of a further test on Dunlop will be.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
does the vet who ran the test for him know that he was vaccinated as a kitten? At one time, after ours were vaccinated, we were told that now that they were vaccinated for the Felv, they would always test positive for it.
As far as I know, the snap tests do not reveal the antibodies for FeLV, so it would be unlikely that a vaccinated cat will test positive for it.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard many times that the vaccine can make a Cat test positive, from shelters and vets, so there must be something to that. If it was me I'd have him retested, it's possible it could be a false positive.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard many times that the vaccine can make a Cat test positive, from shelters and vets, so there must be something to that. If it was me I'd have him retested, it's possible it could be a false positive.
That's the FIV vaccine, not FeLV. People get them mixed up.

But, yes, of course have the vet run some more tests in case it's a false positive.

I've heard that some cats can test negative at first but "hide" FeLV in their bone marrow for some number of years and have it suddenly pop up and cause problems. I'm not sure if this has been studied or is based on just apocryphal accounts from breeders, rescuers, etc. There was a lot of theorizing and supposition in the '80s and '90s, and it's hard to sort that out from the newer knowledge. Cornell seems to be cutting-edge when it comes to cat diseases.

Anyway, I agree that if he's been with the other cats for this long, there's no reason to separate them now.