Impossible Cat

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, that sucks! It must taste really bad. Did you try pouring some tuna juice on it? Do you think you could ever pill her with a pill gun?

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
no, i won't try a pill gun.
what you can do with a kitty, you can't do with drifter.
she is not a kitty.
if i force something down her throat, she will be emotionally damaged.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's my fault, I feel bad for recommending it, I just thought she would eat it, since she ate the Tapeworm pill. I can Paypal you the money to try something else. The Piperazine has a sweet taste to it, but my cats wouldn't eat the whole Teaspoon. At least you got rid of the Tapeworms already, you just need something for the roundworms. Orange has good luck with the Panacur, I've never tried it. I can't think of anything else, just those two.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks mag, but i don't need your money.
i picked it because it seemed to be the broadest spectrum wormer.
i'm done trying to doctor this critter.
i wouldn't need to inject a pill. if i wanted to, i could shove one down her throat.
i've done it with dogs.
but, when i said delicate, i meant delicate.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just put the tuna/Drontal in the fridge and try again later.

Misfit seems to improve over time just by talking to her in a disappointed tone of voice and then walking away from her when she's done something wrong. Changes are slow, but she "absorbs" my mood and I think she processes what makes me unhappy a little bit at a time. She gets a stern, but still soft, voice if she's about to endanger herself. Stern makes her run away, which I don't want her to do unless she's about to hurt herself.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mag, i can't see how that would work. drifter like to crunch her food.
she would bite thru to the icky part.
orange, slow changes would be better than changes for the worse.
i need to moderate my voice.
she jumped up on the bed when i was under the covers. i kicked her off. that was actual violence, but since it came with no speaking, she didn't mind at all.
i think a barking dog would send her to the next county.
but when i growl, she just backs off.

she is spending 12 hours everyday inside.
i imagine that will increase as winter approaches.
i spend less time out when it's cold so she prefers to be indoors with me.
so, i have to get sounds straightened out soon.
growling seems to work best. when she wanted my grilled cheese, my growl
sent her away with no damage to her fragile ego

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you give Drifter cheese as a treat, does she swallow it and look at you for more, or does she actually chew it? I'm wondering if you could squish some cheese around a Drontal tablet and she'd swallow the whole thing? How large are those tablets anyway?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maggie is so smart. I was making them dinner and Demi was crying in the other room. I was too busy to go check on him, so I said Maggie, your boyfriend's crying, go see boyfriend. And she ran to check on him. If she can understand stuff like that, I think she can learn not to scratch people. I'll keep working with her this week. What did you use for a growl with Drifter, you mean growling like a lion?

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
drifter loves to chew.
the pills are teeny. one whole one is smaller than half an aspirin.
it should be easy to sneak one into her, but i'm not seeing how.
i growl more like a wolf, or rabid dog, at least in my mind.
mag really is smart to know who her boyfriend is.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have any vitamins in gel capsules that you could pull one apart and dump out the vitamin powder and replace it with a Drontal. The gel caps are flavorless and should hide the smell of the Drontal. Several people here report their cats like butter. So a buttered capsule might slide down fairly easily? I know they sell packages of empty gel capsules just for pilling cats with "stinky" drugs that the cat won't take.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she knows a ton of words. Should I use the growling when she tries to scratch me? Or should I say the same words every time? I need to think of something catchy to say every time so that she remembers not to scratch me. Bad Boy works for Demi. I could try Bad Girl with Maggie. Is that too negative?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think your tone of voice is more important than the word(s) you use, but consistency counts. You could say "lollipop" (or any other word...I personally like "GoogleDeBoogleDeBoo!") in a serious or disappointed tone of voice just as easily as "Bad Girl", but "Bad Girl" is probably easier to remember at the spur of the moment when you need to communicate with her.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmmm. one might fight in a fishmox cap. i could coat that with butter.
not sure how to prevent her from chewing it tho.by next year, she might be confident enow for me to shove one down her throat.
that's not hard to do.
i see no advantage in using an injector.
i just fear that she would react poorly once i had it down her throat.
oops, i forgot to hi the post reply when i typed the above last night. sorry.

mag, you might try the growl once to see if she reacts like drifter does, just for fun, other than that, orange is right tone of voice matters most.

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
boy, i have a moody cat. she came in for breakfast n i could see right off she was cranky.
i knew there would be a problem, but she needed a brushing, which she enjoys, but not today.
the little wretch bit me.
i didn't think to growl or say no. i angrily said HEY!
which caused to to leave the couch. then i got her outside.
i know as well as you that one should use the same word every time, but she always surprises me.
since i can see this coming, it might be better just to throw her out when i see she's being a bitc#.
that kinda feels like a failure tho.
i notice the loud voice isn't terrifying her anymore.
she didn't leave the room, just the couch.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe she's mad about you sneaking the Drontal in her food the other day. Did she eat okay today?

susieqz

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she ate fine, just no tuna.
i'm not the ideal cat owner.
i feel betrayed.
i'm not sure what i'm gonna do, but i doubt it will be productive.
i think the claws were ready to come out.
she is VERY lucky they didn't.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did it break the skin? It will be okay, these things happen with feral cats, they didn't have a mother to teach them. We had two kittens born inside our house when I was a kid and the mother cat would keep them in line if they were acting up. That's why they never bit or scratched us ever.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if you can tell she's in a snitty mood from the get-go, it's probably best just to ignore her for the most part.

It is hard to be consistent with the same word when they surprise you like that. I'm hoping that Misfit is recognizing sentences beginning with the word "Owwdon't..."

....as is "Owww! Don't swat me." "Owww! Don't claw me." "Owww! Don't bite me." "Owww! don't paw with your claws out."

I'm hoping "Owwdon't..." is consistent enough. She impaled my thumb with one of her claws today. First time she got me in a few weeks now. Maybe something with the weather changes?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, something must be in the air. Maggie tried to scratch me when I was petting her, so I tried shaking my finger at her and saying Bad Girl. She gave me a dirty look and when I was walking away, she spanked my leg and bit it. Oh well, tomorrow is a new week, we can try again. I need to think of another saying than Bad Girl. She was obviously offended by that.