Impacted Anal Glands

jess1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last Thursday my female was scooting her butt on the floor and I took her in and it turns out that her gland were impacted and the vet expressed them. Yesterday was a recheck and they were impacted again but showing no symptoms. They were expressed again and my vet suggested bring her in every two weeks to have expressed but a month would be ok. Her poop is solid, today the were smaller and hers are smaller then my two other male cats. My vet charges 40 dollars for anal express. What can I do to help my cat? She on a wet food diet. She never had this problem when she ate dry.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can express the glands yourself at home instead of paying the vet to do it. There are videos and articles you can find online on how to do this. You basically just firmly squeeze on either side of the the anus to empty out the glands. Most cats don't like being messed around back there so you may need an extra pair of hands to help hold the cat.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm not sure there is anything you can do that is "sure fire", but here is a threads that might help:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jess1970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I have been watching videos. I wonder why her glands are not draining when she poops. Her poops are solid but small.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just need a little help with their glands :dunno: One of my cat poops fine but he needs his glands expressed occasionally.