Chronic Anal Gland Issues

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Morning all -
Isn't it great when you get to start your morning with taking a picture of your cat's butt to send to the vet? :rolleyes:
My 5, almost 6-year old DSH grey tabby, Pompom, has had chronic anal gland expression issues since I got her 4 years ago. I'm thankful it doesn't happen too, too often - about every three or four months - but it happens enough that it's become expensive and annoying. I called for an appointment (hopefully) tomorrow to get them expressed and also hopefully the vet will teach me how to do it myself.
BUT...I'd love to prevent this from having to happen anyway. Anytime poor Pom needs them expressed, she has to be sedated and even then they have to put a kitty muzzle on her to prevent her from biting any and all trying to hep. (Side note: Kitty muzzles are just about the saddest thing to see on a kitcat!) The vet has given me Laxitone before, but Pom just isn't interested.

Is this something a bit of pumpkin would help? Fortiflora? Higher-fiber diet?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I occasionally need to express my cat's anal glands. He mostly holds still while I'm messing back there. You may need an extra pair of (leather gloved) hands and a towel to hold the cat.

The glands are supposed to be naturally expressed as the cat poops. I don't think making the poop harder so they press against the glands would help any and may just cause constipation. FortiFlora is just a probiotic so that won't help with anal gland issues.

There's really no way to stop the glands from naturally secretion goo. Impacted or frequently infected glands may need surgical removal. Since your cat only has issues every few months, it's no big deal to express the glands as needed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Anal glands, as said above, are expressed through defecating. But, grooming also plays a role in helping with natural expression. If Pompom is more amenable to having her behind wiped, you might try that to see if it helps any. Just a few gentle swipes daily might benefit her. If her stools are a bit loose, that can attribute to the problem. So, if that were the case, more fiber in her diet could help. But, also as said above, you don't want to go overboard and cause constipation.

For a while, Feeby had some anal gland issues - she is much older than Pompom and was also overweight, so in her case I think she wasn't grooming as much as she should. Her stools were fine. I started doing daily 'booty duty' by using unscented hypoallergenic wipes to clean her behind. The anal gland issues went away, and I think it also helped to 'refresh' her memory about grooming herself.

It might or might not help Pompom, but can't hurt to try.

crouton

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Anal glands, as said above, are expressed through defecating. But, grooming also plays a role in helping with natural expression. If Pompom is more amenable to having her behind wiped, you might try that to see if it helps any. Just a few gentle swipes daily might benefit her. If her stools are a bit loose, that can attribute to the problem. So, if that were the case, more fiber in her diet could help. But, also as said above, you don't want to go overboard and cause constipation.

For a while, Feeby had some anal gland issues - she is much older than Pompom and was also overweight, so in her case I think she wasn't grooming as much as she should. Her stools were fine. I started doing daily 'booty duty' by using unscented hypoallergenic wipes to clean her behind. The anal gland issues went away, and I think it also helped to 'refresh' her memory about grooming herself.

It might or might not help Pompom, but can't hurt to try.
I have to do the booty duty too only we call it boomboom checkup (I have no idea why) since I also have to clean her lady bits since she gets pee stuck. I think it’s definitely helped us with her issues she was sometimes secreting the anal stuff at uh happy times like purring and ewwwww stank butt in my face.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah some cats express their glands when they are happy. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Mine does it sometimes when he is stressed. It is a funky awful smell!

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Boone has anal gland problems. He frequently scoots his butt along the carpet. Mostly after he goes potty (but not necessarily #2) but every once in a while it is random for no reason. :ohwell:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
klunick klunick - do you know how to locate Boone's anal glands? They are two pea-sized glands located around his rectal opening. If the rectal opening was the face of a clock, each anal gland would sit at about five o'clock and seven o'clock around the rectum. They shouldn't be very easily visible unless they are building up an excess amount of 'gunk'.

Here is an article on anal gland issues (see below), in case that might be of benefit to you. Your vet, and in many cases the vet techs, can manually express them. And, as stated in posts above, the vet/tech can teach you how to do it - should you want to learn!
Anal Glands in Cats (thesprucepets.com)

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
klunick klunick - do you know how to locate Boone's anal glands? They are two pea-sized glands located around his rectal opening. If the rectal opening was the face of a clock, each anal gland would sit at about five o'clock and seven o'clock around the rectum. They shouldn't be very easily visible unless they are building up an excess amount of 'gunk'.

Here is an article on anal gland issues (see below), in case that might be of benefit to you. Your vet, and in many cases the vet techs, can manually express them. And, as stated in posts above, the vet/tech can teach you how to do it - should you want to learn!
I will try to remember to look when I get home later today. Thanks! And no, I don't feel like learning. Some things should be left to professionals. 🤣

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ok... just checked and everything around his rectum looks flat. He was laying down. Does that make a difference??

Update... I checked him while standing and everything is still flat. I guess he just occasionally has an itchy bottom. Happens to all of us. 🤣

Last edited:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cat bath wet wipe will take care of his itchy bottom. However I would check his but/poop for worms for the next week just to be sure he doesn’t have the ER m (they look like tiny grains of rice or rice cut in half stuck around his but.)