Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (updated)

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Apollo was recently diagnosed with autoimmune hemolytic anemia. He’s currently being treated with prednisone. Has anyone had a cat diagnosed with this?

Last edited:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had a male cat who was diagnosed and treated for this.

How was your cat diagnosed? Bone marrow biopsy?

How old is your cat? How long has he had this?
Has he required a blood transfusion?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I had a male cat who was diagnosed and treated for this.

How was your cat diagnosed? Bone marrow biopsy?

How old is your cat? How long has he had this?
Has he required a blood transfusion?
He is three years old? Roughly. My memory isn’t good so I’d have to look at his med file. They have done a lot of blood tests, and I was told his body was destroying red blood cells. They thought he was infected with Mycoplasma haemofelis (parasite), which is secondary IMHA but he wasn’t responding to treatment so they concluded he had primary IMHA so he was put on prednisolone to suppress his immune system. The first initial vet visit was on August 31st and his second was on September 12th.

He has not had a blood transfusion yet as he was borderline anemic (like I don’t know what the name was on the test that tells how anemic he is but the normal was 28-40 and his first test he was 28.5? and his second he was 26).

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just dropping off a reliable reference for you......first in there is a general coverage of anemia....then, scroll down to "Other Causes of Anemia (non-CKD): All About Anaemia
Thank you for the reference, I’ll have to read through it more on my laptop later (phones not the best). I was just hoping someone on here had experience with it so I could get a non-vet view.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The test you are probably referring to is the PCV (Packed Cell Volume) which measures the amount of packed red blood cells. If <25% cat is anemic.

Have they done a ""blood smear" to determine whether the anemia is "regenerative" or "non-regenerative".

What is the dosage of Prednisolone he is on?

What is the Vet's treatment plan? Just Prednisolone and monitor, or what?

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The test you are probably referring to is the PCV (Packed Cell Volume) which measures the amount of packed red blood cells. If <25% cat is anemic.

Have they done a ""blood smear" to determine whether the anemia is "regenerative" or "non-regenerative".

What is the dosage of Prednisolone he is on?

What is the Vet's treatment plan? Just Prednisolone and monitor, or what?
Yes they did a “blood smear” and he’s “regenerative”. He was on 5mg once a day and now is up to twice a day after five days of no visual improvement. We started him lower dose because we were afraid he would react negatively to it like his sisters did (they have allergies). Unless he nosedives, he goes back in a couple of days. Further treatment, if needed, will be discussed then.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's good news that at least his anemia is "regenerative" (vs "non-regenerative"). That means that his bone marrow IS able to mount a response to demand and produce red blood cells.

However "Immune Mediated" means that his immune system has gone haywire. It sees his red blood cells as an enemy and is attacking and destroying them. Hence the need for Prednisolone which tamps down the immune system, thus allowing his bone marrow to regenerate red blood cells.

You will have to work closely with your vet in determining the proper dosage of Prednisolone. As you have seen, 5 mg was insufficient. Hopefully 5 mg twice a day will suffice.

If not, your vet may prescribe an immunosuppressant in addition. My boy was on 8 mg/day Methylprednisolone, plus Atopica (an immunosuppressant). For sure, his PCV will have to be monitored very closely as things can change.

Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia CAN be managed successfully...but it takes careful monitoring by you and your vet.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
B babiesmom5

Took Apollo to the vet today. His PCV was 32! Back on track! Vet wants to start weaning him off prednisone so it’s back to 5mg once a day. He goes back next week. He’s acting 80% back to normal; he’s still hiding (but I don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t feel good or if he’s just avoiding the fighting between two of my other cats) and he doesn’t want too much affection. He’s also gained a pound from the two and a half he lost so yay on that.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, great news!!

Can you try keeping the other two cats separated, or put calming collars on them if you haven't tried this already?

Can you try some music in the house? Try the app Relax My Cat or MusicForCats . com

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
B babiesmom5

Took Apollo to the vet today. His PCV was 32! Back on track! Vet wants to start weaning him off prednisone so it’s back to 5mg once a day. He goes back next week. He’s acting 80% back to normal; he’s still hiding (but I don’t know if it’s because he doesn’t feel good or if he’s just avoiding the fighting between two of my other cats) and he doesn’t want too much affection. He’s also gained a pound from the two and a half he lost so yay on that.
This is awesome news. I am so happy to read this! He might be hiding and avoiding contact because vet visits (especially a lot in a row) are stressful and he needs to just calm down a bit and relax.
I'm not one of those anti-vaccine people, but I'm not very fond of over vaccinating.
If this were my cat, and (this is *JMO*, emphasis on "opinion",)....I would tear the throat out of any vet who wanted to vaccinate this cat again, ever.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is awesome news. I am so happy to read this! He might be hiding and avoiding contact because vet visits (especially a lot in a row) are stressful and he needs to just calm down a bit and relax.
I'm not one of those anti-vaccine people, but I'm not very fond of over vaccinating.
If this were my cat, and (this is *JMO*, emphasis on "opinion",)....I would tear the throat out of any vet who wanted to vaccinate this cat again, ever.
While I don’t vaccinate my cats after their kitten stage, his issue had nothing to do with vaccines so I’m sorry but I’m terribly confused?

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, great news!!

Can you try keeping the other two cats separated, or put calming collars on them if you haven't tried this already?

Can you try some music in the house? Try the app Relax My Cat or MusicForCats . com
I have a post on my living situation, but long story short: there are six cats (my five plus my parents one) living in a space roughly the size of a two bedroom apartment. I have tried calling collars, sprays, and plug ins. It’s difficult to separate because the only rooms that actually latch close are my bedroom and the bathroom, and the bathroom isn’t an option. Trying to use my bedroom means loosing sleep.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
While I don’t vaccinate my cats after their kitten stage, his issue had nothing to do with vaccines so I’m sorry but I’m terribly confused?
Don't be confused, or alarmed. I apologize if I upset you.
Just research and learn about how vaccines can affect IMHA patients and why a lot of people with animals with this disorder decide against "routine" vaccination.
I've known one too many people who have IMHA animals that re-vaccinate adult animals (usually cats, but occasionally dogs) with "boosters" and the RBC count drops to dangerous levels.

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't be confused, or alarmed. I apologize if I upset you.
Just research and learn about how vaccines can affect IMHA patients and why a lot of people with animals with this disorder decide against "routine" vaccination.
I've known one too many people who have IMHA animals that re-vaccinate adult animals (usually cats, but occasionally dogs) with "boosters" and the RBC count drops to dangerous levels.
I wasn’t alarmed just confused, because I hadn’t said anything about vaccines.