I'm Worried About My Cat After Rough Vet Visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the vet has your him on a special diet then you might want to call them and ask if it is ok to try other things to get him to eat on his own. Call and talk to the vet first before making any changes to his diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Claire07x Claire07x Yes I am SO much more relieved today. He was eating some of the prescribed patte on his own today instead of having it in the syringe, so I was very relieved! He finally came out of my room today and walked around the house and napped in his usual favorite spots. I'm hoping these antibiotics are working on him and that he'll be back to his routine within the next week. Unfortunately his medicine has to be syringed still and that is when he goes back to hiding again.

KSV KSV I know my little guy loves being brushed and he has been brushed these past few days but funnily enough my hissing cat isn't so much of a fun. After a few seconds of brushing he'll get up and walk away and we sort of have to chase him throughout the house to finish his brushing, but we can always give it a try.

@Antonio65 I appreciate your article, it is insightful but I'm not sure if my cat has the same conditions. His symptoms were more bacterial infection related, but I can't say I know for sure until his X-Rays on Monday.

catlover73 catlover73 We are definitely sticking to the doctors orders! He told us to be patient feeding wise but today my cat ate his syringe patte from a plate rather than the syringe, is that a good sign? I'm hoping to keep trying to integrate more wet food into him tomorrow since I'm not quite sure the correct amount he should eat each day but I could always talk to my parents about it too. He likes the taste of the patte on its own so I think that helped with him deciding to eat it off the plate rather than having it forced fed.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it is a great sign that he is eating off of a plate instead of having to be syringe fed. If you are not sure how much he should eat of the food the vet gave you off the plate versus the syringe you could always call and ask.

I am not surprised at all that he is hiding after being given his medicine. I think all of my cats have done that.

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Claire07x Claire07x Yes I am SO much more relieved today. He was eating some of the prescribed patte on his own today instead of having it in the syringe, so I was very relieved! He finally came out of my room today and walked around the house and napped in his usual favorite spots. I'm hoping these antibiotics are working on him and that he'll be back to his routine within the next week. Unfortunately his medicine has to be syringed still and that is when he goes back to hiding again.

KSV KSV I know my little guy loves being brushed and he has been brushed these past few days but funnily enough my hissing cat isn't so much of a fun. After a few seconds of brushing he'll get up and walk away and we sort of have to chase him throughout the house to finish his brushing, but we can always give it a try.

@Antonio65 I appreciate your article, it is insightful but I'm not sure if my cat has the same conditions. His symptoms were more bacterial infection related, but I can't say I know for sure until his X-Rays on Monday.

catlover73 catlover73 We are definitely sticking to the doctors orders! He told us to be patient feeding wise but today my cat ate his syringe patte from a plate rather than the syringe, is that a good sign? I'm hoping to keep trying to integrate more wet food into him tomorrow since I'm not quite sure the correct amount he should eat each day but I could always talk to my parents about it too. He likes the taste of the patte on its own so I think that helped with him deciding to eat it off the plate rather than having it forced fed.
The point I was trying to make is that brushing is just a vehicle to mix up their smells. So you can only do one stroke after brushing the other cat :).

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catlover73 catlover73 He seemed really offended about it, I wish I could explain to him why it's happening. I just hope the medicine thing won't move back the progress we were having earlier with his eating. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see what happens.

KSV KSV right I gotcha, if my other cat is still standoffish tomorrow then I will make sure to try the brush thing to help out.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope the cat continues to get better. Antibiotics should help. I know I've had cats on medication and they became fearful of me, that every time i got near them I was giving them medicine. It's really stressful on you and the cat but we have to be diligent with it.
I hope he is eating because he has to stay hydrated too so I hope he's drinking water and getting better.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Timmer Timmer That seems to be the case with my cat right now. Every time he gets his antibiotics he hides in the same place to be left alone for a while. As for eating, he's eating a little but drinking water like he normally does. Tomorrow my parents are going to buy him some of this special cat food they found at the pet store that he really enjoyed so maybe that will encourage him to eat a lot more than he is now.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And just a little update on my cat, my parents said there is a big change in how he was on Wednesday compared to today. He moved around a lot more today, going to find some of his favorite nap places and sun patches to curl up in. He also likes to follow my family members around to whichever room they are in and demands more petting. I hope those are all good signs to how his health is improving but there is still that check-up and x-rays on Monday.

The only thing slightly bothering me is the amount of food he is eating but like I said, we are going to buy some tastier food he seemed to eat more of the other day. He also doesn't do the regular amount of jumping he usually does. Normally his most favorite nap spots are our beds, but so far he has only jumped up on a small chair that is closer to the ground. I hope that's nothing to be too concerned about.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
brittpatt brittpatt Would gravy in wet food count? He really seems to like that. Thanks for the encouragement, it's hard to not be stressed out but I have more faith each day seeing him get better little by little.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just give him whatever he likes. That sounds like a plan. Gravy, whatever. I think it sounds like he's doing a lot better. The moving around, following people and all that sounds good. But I do know how you feel about not being able to relax 100% til you get that vet visit in on Monday. It's so scary when they are sick...they can't talk and tell us what's up.
Please keep us posted on how the vet visit goes. I'll be praying for you.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Timmer Timmer he does eat but only very little at a time, although he has eaten some dry food a few times and has played a little bit. He seems to be a lot better, but like you said, I'm still very much on edge waiting for that appointment tomorrow. I'll definitely keep this updated! I appreciate your prayers, we really hope tomorrow will be ok. Thank you to you and everyone who has posted in this thread. It has been a HUGE help. :blush:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Gravy, Kitten milk replacer, kitten canned food, unseasoned broth, and baby food with no onion or garlic, are all things you can use to entice your baby to eat more. All the best wishes for a good visit tomorrow!

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At risk of being controversial here..
I found my cat goes nuts for the "unhealthy" food I took her off, so if (I'm hoping not!) she ever doesn't want to eat, I'll probably start her on that food - whiskas and felix. Her current diet is a lot better but I'll admit, she never goes wild for the food like she did on whiskas/felix.
If getting her to eat is a struggle, I'll short-term revert to that to get some nutrition in her before weaning her off and back onto the good stuff. Just a thought, if you're feeding a high quality diet after him previously eating something like that, as it may help.

All the other signs sound great and like he's coming round wonderfully. try not to worry too much, it sounds like it's going really well!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Hoover cat that eats anything and two others that never eat wet food. Everyone goes crazy for Life’s Abundance wet food - it’s high quality and they all love it. You can also get single can samples on their website. LifesAbundance.com. If you are looking for options.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom When I get back home I might buy all of those to help with his appetite again!

Claire07x Claire07x Yesterday he went crazy for some cat treats, which I know are probably like donuts for cats, and he did eat all of those. I want to see if I can mix some of that kitty junk food with his actual nutritional stuff to eat more. I'll try my best not to worry but I am a natural worrier, I worry about every little thing which is probably why my parents didn't tell me my cat's condition until days after.

KarenKat KarenKat my mother did buy some higher quality wet food and he loved it, not sure if it's the same. Do you know if they sell that at pet stores? I will definitely have to check them out.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on my cat:

He went to the vet today and it looks like he really is going to be ok! The X-Rays showed that his lungs are looking better and he got a shot of antibiotics that is supposed to last a while, I'm not sure if that is going to affect his appetite again but we'll have to see this week. He has to go back again in a couple of weeks but I'm feeling a lot more hopeful now after the visit.

My parents also told me he seems to be upset with them personally again. He probably feels betrayed having to go back to the vet again, so I'm guessing we will have to start over on gaining his trust back again like last week. His brother was also starting to do a little better. My sick cat would approach him and he wouldn't hiss but he still liked to keep his distance from him. It will be a tedious process to start over on helping him feel comfortable in his home again but I am beyond happy that my cat looks like he is going to pull through this.

I would just like to thank everyone who responded to this thread. This past week had be incredibly stressed and it was hard to focus on anything, but you all gave me solutions and help and I can't thank you enough. Finding this site has been a huge blessing in my life. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers for my baby and I will continue to update on his condition. I'm sure I will have loads more questions, so thank you again for sticking around! :heartshape::vibes:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is great news about your cat!!, and hopefully he comes around to liking the people in his life again. Best of luck with his eating :redheartpump:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
JustJ JustJ First of all I'm so glad your kitty will be ok! That sounds so awesome! As for the food, it's my understanding that it is only sold online at the website and not in pet stores. Might be a good food to try out someday, but if he's eating other types of food it sounds like you found one that works! I'm a fan of this food since our guys like it, but there are so many other ones out there.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom He is doing a lot better but it doe feel like we also took a step backwards with his comfort process. He didn't want to eat today or interact with anyone so we will have to try and see what happens tomorrow. Maybe try the same tactics tomorrow and stay vigilant about him eating, this is rough but I hope he progresses again.

KarenKat KarenKat I actually bought some cans online after I read your post! When it arrives to my house I'll make sure to give him some right away to see if he likes it. Hopefully it will also encourage him to start eating his other food again as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.