I'm Upset, Need To Talk It Out

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset, just need to talk it out
I posted earlier regarding Skye getting sick from a medication " Metacam " it just didn't agree with her belly, the vet got her off it and put her on probiotics, which didn't take either I'm worried to my stomach, I want to cry... I can get Skye to eat anything. The vet said that it's okay because she's not feeling good from her belly but... it really bothers me that she's not eating, it really does. She had some water,and that's it. I don't know if I should be this worried but I am.
She didn't throw up anymore today ( which is a good thing) I tried different wet food, some dry food but she is not interested.
She's walking around, sitting by the front door looking outside, laying down, getting up... but not eating

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been that she’s not eating? How long ago did she get off the metacam? Can you syringe some water or wet food mixed with water into her mouth? Raw egg yolk is also good mixed with water as it’s really nutritous.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That is always super frustrating. My boy doesn’t react well to most medications so I’ve definitely been there with the bad reactions. Plus the not eating is super scary. :vibes::vibes:

Have you tried human meat baby food? The little jars of purées that have no added garlic or onion (very important no garlic or onion). It tends to be my go too sickie cat food, lots of moisture and easy for the cat to lick up. A lot of times, once they turn off food it’s harder to get them eating again. I’ve found that getting them to eat a little works to get them eating more. I’ve tried the dabbing a little food (talking a very little touch) on the nose and letting the cat lick it off then stick the bowl of food right under them. Usually works for me to convince them they are hungry and food is good again.

• Purraise
Reactions: GGG

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been that she’s not eating?
That's what I wonder, too. No matter how long it's been, though, it's natural to worry.

I remember when our cat ate a plant and got very sick it took her a couple days to get back to eating, even with an appetite enhancer drug. This is the cat that always wants to eat! The first thing we fed her was baby food: I bought Beechnut turkey and chicken (just meat and water, stage 1, this stuff) at the grocery store. I think I might have crumbled a little bit of raw chicken breast treat on it but it was all very simple stuff, perfect for a troubled stomach.

I hope Skye eats again for you soon!

• Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long has it been that she’s not eating? How long ago did she get off the metacam? Can you syringe some water or wet food mixed with water into her mouth? Raw egg yolk is also good mixed with water as it’s really nutritous.
Today she did eat. Last time I gave her the medication was yesterday.
I'm going to try to syringe water and watery wet food into her mouth.
Thank you

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, don't panic just yet. It's only been a day since she's been off the meds and it's good that she ate something today. I think it's a good idea to try and syringe feed something with water in it to make sure she stays hydrated too.

If you don't have a syringe, your vet should have them for free.

Also, another thing that works well for me is sprinkling a little fortiflora probiotics on food. The smell of the animal digest drives my cats crazy and stimulates their appetite. Your vet can also probably give you some samples of fortiflora. You don't need to use a whole pack, just a small amount usually gets my cats going.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried the fortiflora but she would touch the food either. I'm going to try to syringe food into her.
Thank you so much

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would it be okay if I mix fortiflora with water and syringe that?
Okay, don't panic just yet. It's only been a day since she's been off the meds and it's good that she ate something today. I think it's a good idea to try and syringe feed something with water in it to make sure she stays hydrated too.

If you don't have a syringe, your vet should have them for free.

Also, another thing that works well for me is sprinkling a little fortiflora probiotics on food. The smell of the animal digest drives my cats crazy and stimulates their appetite. Your vet can also probably give you some samples of fortiflora. You don't need to use a whole pack, just a small amount usually gets my cats going.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the fortiflora but she would touch the food either. I'm going to try to syringe food into her.
Thank you so much
Good luck. And I would call your vet again tomorrow if she's still not eating. They may want to give her some fluids and it might be good for them to see her again.

Maybe just syringe a small amount at a time because if the reason she's not eating is cause she's nauseous then it might upset her tummy more to do too much at once.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Today she did eat. Last time I gave her the medication was yesterday.
I'm going to try to syringe water and watery wet food into her mouth.
Thank you
Sorry, I ment to say " she didn't eat "

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm try putting your lips to the tips of her ears. Do they feel hot?

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s good. Any other symptoms you’ve noticed? Licking lips? Lethargy? How’s her pee and poo?
Nothing else, she's peeing, she pooped once ( diarrhea and the vet is aware of that, because of the medication) she's not hiding, she had her normal nap during the day.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's her, right now

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous girl!

Okay, I’m hopeful that her tummy is just feeling sick and she’ll be better soon. I think just keep an eye on her, keep her hydrated and get food in her slowly if you can. Then back to the vet tomorrow if she’s still not eating.

• Purraise

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Gorgeous girl!

Okay, I’m hopeful that her tummy is just feeling sick and she’ll be better soon. I think just keep an eye on her, keep her hydrated and get food in her slowly if you can. Then back to the vet tomorrow if she’s still not eating.
I will do that!

Thank you so much for all your help