I'm intrigued as to what other life paths are on TCS

rahma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm an old school traditionalist muslim. If one were to equate the muslim world to the christian, I'd be firmly in the eastern orthodox/thousand+ years of tradition camp, as opposed to the more sola scripture group.

caleeko

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im kind of Christian'ish I guess. I believe there was a Jesus and I think he was a wonderful man and a rabbi and a teacher and I try to live like he taught.

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe in God. By my raising i'm non-denominational Christian (Church of Christ) but i don't attend church.

there's no way i could ever say there's no God and try to explain how I've been so blessed when faced with terrible problems. It's happened numerous times in my life, but instead of being homeless and at death's door, I'm alive, my Huntington's isn't progressing too badly, and let's face it, after the last few months for me to have my cats with me, have a full belly and a place to sleep? Yeah there's definitely a God.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was baptized Roman Catholic but I don't practice and certainly don't care.

I'm an old headbanger, does that count?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by libby74

even as a teen I felt drawn to Wicca (at that time I wasn't really aware of Paganism)
No one in my family knows about my beliefs except my husband.

I'd have to say that the only time I have a problem with someone else's beliefs is when they try to convince me that THEIR beleifs are the only ones that are acceptable.
I completely agree with you. I mean, the entire world would be in harmony if no one discussed religion
My parents, grandma & fiance are the only ones in my immediate family who know. The only time i really bring it up is to my father, to remind him that it is not special effects, flying broomsticks or sacrificing babies
. He still thinks it's a phase & not a real belief, i'm not a teen anymore & i'm still sticking with it. My dads catholic parents would probably have heart attacks if they knew. My born again aunt & uncle already thought it was bad enough when i was a teen and didn't have a label for myself, if they knew i know for certain they would be praying for me 24/7 and offer to come here and 'cleanse' my soul. They can't fathom the idea that there are people on this earth who function in life without the belief of a higher power.
I'm happy with who i am, why can't other people be too?

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm Jewish, raised in the conservative strain of Judaism - what my dad wanted. Went to Hebrew school and had a Bat Mitzvah. My mother was and is far less religious. I personally am very proud of my heritage and my history... it is a strong, very intelligent religion that encourages thought, doing right by others, and making the world a better place (Tikkun Olam), family connections and a personal connection to G-d. That said, I am not terribly religious and as I approach the half-century mark - I still wrestle with whether or not I believe in the premise of one supreme being looking after all of us.

I have had some TERRIBLE things happen in my life ... and some really good things, too. Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to it. I guess that I am not smart enough to figure it out.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was brought up catholic, did the classes... dropped out
, For many years did a full on study on the Pagan religion and found it quite intriguing and to fit my belief system quite well... I no longer followed that once I started dating and eventually met my husband had kids etc etc... my husband have discussed what we both believe in & we both believe in similar things... we both believe IN a greater good... what that is, I dont really know, do you really HAVE to call it something? My husband and I both feel that all religions all belive in a god or gods all a greater 'good' none are right or wrong. So long as you are a good person and lead a good life, you will continue on to whatever is beyond.

Now... what will we teach our children? I feel that they should be allowed to choose their own paths & will educate them about all things & let them know what it is that we belive.

now I feel like I've rambled... I've never really discussed it before, other than with my husband.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, I was christened Espicopal, but my Dad broke off with the church after I was born--I never attended it. Dad hated religion, and forbade Bibles in the house. He was very bitter about religion, but yet, I do think he had some personal religious beliefs--but he had conflicting feelings about them. My Mom did sometimes let my Catholic SIL take me to Mass, so I'd have some experience. Apart from that, religion was a dirty word in our house. Sad.

When I was a teen, I said I was agnostic. However, as I got older, some things happened that, in m y mind, proved the existence of God. Despite this, I still don't belong to any organized religion; I really don't feel a need to put a label on my beliefs. My religion is more a personal set of beliefs and a bond with God. I believe in being honest, charitable, compassionate, and hard-working, and thanking God at least once in awhile for all He has given me. I ask God His guidance for things sometimes. I try to be tolerant of all other religions. We have so much in common, too.

I married a devout Methodist, in a Methodist church.

I once read that my beliefs are called Judeo-Christian, so I guess that's what I am!

There's an interesting test at belief.net that you can take. It lists your beliefs according to the percentage in your make-up.

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raised Lutheran, I guess I'm a christian, but I don't go to church, although I'd like to...

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

There's an interesting test at belief.net that you can take. It lists your beliefs according to the percentage in your make-up.
thanks - that was kinda fun!
strange that the percentages don't add up to 100%, tho...i mean, if i'm 100% the 1st, why the others?

here's mine
1. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (100%)
2. Orthodox Quaker (82%)
3. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (71%)
4. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (69%)
Eastern Orthodox (69%)
Roman Catholic (69%)
Seventh Day Adventist (66%)
Baha'i Faith (64%)
Islam (62%)
Orthodox Judaism (62%)
11. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (59%)
12. Jehovah's Witness (55%)
Liberal Quakers (49%)
Sikhism (43%)
Reform Judaism (42%)
New Thought (40%)
Unitarian Universalism (37%)
Mahayana Buddhism (37%)
Theravada Buddhism (37%)
20. Scientology (35%)
Jainism (33%)
Nontheist (32%)
Neo-Pagan (29%)
Hinduism (27%)
New Age (26%)
Taoism (24%)
Secular Humanism (22%)

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried really hard to believe in god for a long time because I was scared to death in going to hell. Then one day it clicked, there was no god. I felt so free and happier then I'd been in a long time. I don't believe in ghosts or angels or anything like that. I don't know much about Buddhism, but I believe would could have more then one life.

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

strange that the percentages don't add up to 100%, tho...i mean, if i'm 100% the 1st, why the others?

here's mine
I think the percentages show how well your views match with the doctrine of each religion. So your views coincide 100% with mainline protestantism, all the way down to only 22% with secular humanism.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

I think the percentages show how well your views match with the doctrine of each religion. So your views coincide 100% with mainline protestantism, all the way down to only 22% with secular humanism.
Yes, I'm sorry about my goof--that's what I meant to say! Thanks!

layitdown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm a born-again, non-denominational christian. God is amazing and has done amazing things for me that I can't even begin to explain. He healed my body

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that quiz was certainly interesting and gave me a few minutes to do something

Not bad at all

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
3. Theravada Buddhism (82%)
4. Neo-Pagan (79%)
5. Nontheist (77%)
6. Liberal Quakers (71%)
7. New Age (63%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (53%)
9. Mahayana Buddhism (47%)
10. Taoism (43%)
11. Reform Judaism (37%)
12. Orthodox Quaker (34%)
13. Jainism (33%)
14. Sikhism (31%)
15. Baha'i Faith (24%)
16. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (24%)
17. Hinduism (24%)
18. Scientology (24%)
19. New Thought (23%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (18%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (18%)
22. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (18%)
23. Eastern Orthodox (16%)
24. Islam (16%)
25. Roman Catholic (16%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (15%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (9%)

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That was kinda fun

A little surprised by some of the results though. I actually thought that "Nontheist" would rank much higher.

1. \tNeo-Pagan (100%)
2. \tUnitarian Universalism (81%)
3. \tNew Age (80%)
4. \tSecular Humanism (78%)
5. \tLiberal Quakers (75%)
6. \tMahayana Buddhism (66%)
7. \tTheravada Buddhism (66%)
8. \tTaoism (63%)
9. \tNontheist (61%)
10. \tJainism (44%)
11. \tMainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (43%)
12. \tHinduism (43%)
13. \tScientology (40%)
14. \tNew Thought (38%)
15. \tChristian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (36%)
16. \tOrthodox Quaker (33%)
17. \tSikhism (28%)
18. \tReform Judaism (24%)
19. \tBaha'i Faith (19%)
20. \tJehovah's Witness (14%)
21. \tMainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (12%)
22. \tSeventh Day Adventist (12%)
23. \tChurch of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (9%)
24. \tEastern Orthodox (9%)
25. \tIslam (9%)
26. \tOrthodox Judaism (9%)
27. \tRoman Catholic (9%)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Grogs

ok, that makes sense. thanks for explaining it!
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Well that quiz was certainly interesting and gave me a few minutes to do something

Not bad at all

1. Secular Humanism (100%)
2. Unitarian Universalism (95%)
3. Theravada Buddhism (82%)
4. Neo-Pagan (79%)
5. Nontheist (77%)
6. Liberal Quakers (71%)
7. New Age (63%)
8. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (53%)
9. Mahayana Buddhism (47%)
10. Taoism (43%)
11. Reform Judaism (37%)
12. Orthodox Quaker (34%)
13. Jainism (33%)
14. Sikhism (31%)
15. Baha'i Faith (24%)
16. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (24%)
17. Hinduism (24%)
18. Scientology (24%)
19. New Thought (23%)
20. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (18%)
21. Orthodox Judaism (18%)
22. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (18%)
23. Eastern Orthodox (16%)
24. Islam (16%)
25. Roman Catholic (16%)
26. Seventh Day Adventist (15%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (9%)
you're almost the exact opposite of me!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227