I'm intrigued as to what other life paths are on TCS

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For anyone not familiar with the 12 Steps, the phrase "God as we understood Him" appears twice, and "a power greater than ourselves" also appears. This leaves much room for individual interpretation. Also, I heard a speaker at a meeting say that the wording is "as we understood Him" because 1) no one can understand God/Higher Power/Creator completely and 2) our understanding of God/Higher Power/Creator is constantly growing (or should be).

I'm reminded of "Dogma" (awesome movie, BTW, but *not* for the easily offended)

Rufus (Chris Rock): So, do you believe?
Bethany (Linda Fiorentino): No, but I have a good idea.

Serendipity (Salma Hayek): It doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

First, It still surprises me that the extreme christians still look down on other christians who don't label themselves as boldly.

Alot of people do not choose to 'reject' god or jesus. Their minds & hearts have probably already been down that path & given it a try. People do not walk around yelling 'we CHOOSE not to believe in god/jesus', because it's something that develops over time & experience. It isn't a choice.

Why do people make a point of saying that their god gave everyone free will, & everyone has the choice to believe or not, but then they have to tell us that we are lost & need to be lead to god? That's kind of a double standard isn't it?

A point i'd like to make is this, those who are 'without god' are just as moral human beings as those who are.

That being said, if being 'lost' in other peoples eyes, means that i am on a path where i have the freedom to express myself without fear or judgment, so mote it be.

No offence. Rant over.
none taken - at least, by me.
part of the confusion about why Christians are so evangelical is due to lack of knowledge
[IMO!], to some extent. basically, telling other the good news [as it's commonly known in my community] is a commandment given by Jesus to his followers.

for my part - if i offer to show you the way to receive this gift, & you choose to use your free will to decline it, that is your right, & i will no longer pursue the subject. i'll still be your friend, of course - hoping that the way in which i live my life will be a testament to the One who leads me.

does this make it any more clear?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

part of the confusion about why Christians are so evangelical is due to lack of knowledge
[IMO!], to some extent. basically, telling other the good news [as it's commonly known in my community] is a commandment given by Jesus to his followers.

for my part - if i offer to show you the way to receive this gift, & you choose to use your free will to decline it, that is your right, & i will no longer pursue the subject. i'll still be your friend, of course - hoping that the way in which i live my life will be a testament to the One who leads me.

Very. I like that answer

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Raised somewhat Catholic; in the sense that i went through baptism, first communion, etc. My dad is an atheist, my mother is spiritual, but not religious. My Grandmother is VERY Catholic, and my Catholic life comes from her.
I am not religious, and do not believe in organized religion... I think that all faiths are good and need to be respected, including having no faith at all - unfortunately no organized religion seem to accept that.
When I lived in LA I used to frequent the Agape International Spiritual Center, a wondeeeeerful place... I can not wait to go back to California so I can go to Agape every week

I do believe in a higher being, which I call God, but don't believe in heaven or hell... I do believe in Karma though

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yourbriness763

what is "pagan" I looked it up on wikipedia but I'm not really understanding...
It's a very broad classification and what wiki has is mostly historical and doesn't do much for the beliefs. I hope it's ok I post this... it's not an atempt to push any beliefs but is a good source of information about the subject.
Pagan 101

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Cocoa Cream, i was going to rant, but instead i'll make it nice and quick.

First, It still surprises me that the extreme christians still look down on other christians who don't label themselves as boldly.

Alot of people do not choose to 'reject' god or jesus. Their minds & hearts have probably already been down that path & given it a try. People do not walk around yelling 'we CHOOSE not to believe in god/jesus', because it's something that develops over time & experience. It isn't a choice.

Why do people make a point of saying that their god gave everyone free will, & everyone has the choice to believe or not, but then they have to tell us that we are lost & need to be lead to god? That's kind of a double standard isn't it?

A point i'd like to make is this, those who are 'without god' are just as moral human beings as those who are.

That being said, if being 'lost' in other peoples eyes, means that i am on a path where i have the freedom to express myself without fear or judgment, so mote it be.

No offence. Rant over.
I'm not offended, and I did read your unedited post before, actually. I know that my beliefs can be viewed, even by other professing Christians, to be "extreme." And I was not being judgmental in my observation about the others who call themselves Christians, but do not state their beliefs as boldy as I do mine...I was simply pointing out that I find it interesting how general the term "Christian" has come to be, especially considering the roots of the word. The original term "Christian" meant "little Christs" in Greek and was used to make fun of the Jews and Greeks who believed that Jesus was the Messiah (the Christ, in Greek) and sought to live as He taught. It was used to ridicule the most devout believers, not merely to identify people who belong to a certain denomination or believe in God. I don't look down on other people who do not believe what I do, I simply wanted to clarify what I personally believe, rather than just use a common label.

Perhaps you feel that "reject" is too strong a term, but I think what you said above would still have the same general definition. You say that you and others have "given it a try" but decided it wasn't for you. That sounds like a choice to me, even if made over a long period of time through many experiences. To use a poor analogy, I have "rejected" being a coffee-drinker in that I have tried it many times throughout my life, tried different flavors and different styles, but it just wasn't for me. I could keep trying it, and maybe I'd eventually develop a taste for the stuff, but I "choose" not to. Like I said, it's a poor analogy, but maybe it helps get the idea across.

And I do believe God gave everyone free will to choose, but I don't quite see what that has to do with my belief that people who do not believe in Christ are lost. That's what His Word teaches me, and I am compelled to tell others, whether they want to hear it or not. You do have the choice to listen to what I say or not...but Jesus told His followers not to stop telling people about Him. I could exercise my own free will and disobey Him, or can do as He said and tell everyone I can.

To sum it all up, I don't pretend to be any better or more moral than anyone else. I do things I shouldn't on a regular basis, and I have to go to God over and over again and admit that I haven't followed Him completely. There is no perfection this side of heaven, I know. But I have hope because I know what my future is, and that is something to live for. I know that everyone has to decide what they believe on their own, but that doesn't mean I stop telling other people what I believe any more than you do. I thought that since everyone from pagan to agnostic to atheistic could openly state their personal beliefs here, then I could too...not to debate, but to share my own viewpoint. I hope that's okay!

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Actually, you probably said it better than I did...but in all my wordiness, I mean the same thing!

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream

That sounds like a choice to me, even if made over a long period of time through many experiences. To use a poor analogy, I have "rejected" being a coffee-drinker in that I have tried it many times throughout my life, tried different flavors and different styles, but it just wasn't for me. I could keep trying it, and maybe I'd eventually develop a taste for the stuff, but I "choose" not to. Like I said, it's a poor analogy, but maybe it helps get the idea across.
Ok how do i say it in a way that i'm trying to mean. I didn't choose to not believe. I spent alot of time 'searching' and found nothing. And frankly i'm not one of those people who cling onto the hope that there is something more and am not willing to spend the next 50 years still looking, when i can be happy with what i feel in the now. Does that make sense? So i didn't just one day go 'hey, i choose to not believe', it was something that happened. And while i can understand why alot of people say believing in god/jesus makes their lives better and such, my life is quite good without

Just as i don't choose to be straight, i don't choose to be left handed and i don't choose to be tall instead of short, it just is. Does that make more sense?

Originally Posted by yourbriness763

what is "pagan" I looked it up on wikipedia but I'm not really understanding...
The general definition is that anything before christianity was formed, was a pagan religion. And still is now. Anything that is not judaism, christianity or muslim is considered pagan. But the umbrella that it forms covers ALOT of beliefs. It's just a general term. As pagan is to wiccan/buddhist/shaman, christian is to catholic/anglican/presbyterian.

Does that make sense?

The branches that come off make for a much longer explanation, but that's the simpler way to describe it

yourbriness763

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for both answers on what is a pagan or paganism, I understand now!
I've heard it mentioned before but I didn't know what it was...

musicalbookworm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm a Unitarian Universalist at heart. I believe some form of god. I believe all religions are equally valid and equally absurd. I have no patience for people who think they have all the answers. Whatever gets you through the day is great as long as you don't show it down my throat. Alas, there is no UU or even UCC church in my town.

I attend the Episcopal (Anglican) church in my town. One of my friends is the choir master and asked me to join. I find I like the people and the church. I have sentimental ties to the Anglican church as I joined the choir at the village church during my semester in England (Harlaxtan in case there are any alums out there.)

Angie

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

i'll still be your friend, of course - hoping that the way in which i live my life will be a testament to the One who leads me.
Beautiful sentiment and beautifully phrased, Laureen. I'm not sure of the exact wording or who said it, but I have read, "Preach the Gospel at all times. If necessary, use words." and I also heard a pastor say in a sermon, "You may be the only Bible someone reads."

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Creativgirl

For anyone not familiar with the 12 Steps, the phrase "God as we understood Him" appears twice, and "a power greater than ourselves" also appears. This leaves much room for individual interpretation. Also, I heard a speaker at a meeting say that the wording is "as we understood Him" because 1) no one can understand God/Higher Power/Creator completely and 2) our understanding of God/Higher Power/Creator is constantly growing (or should be).

I'm reminded of "Dogma" (awesome movie, BTW, but *not* for the easily offended)

Rufus (Chris Rock): So, do you believe?
Bethany (Linda Fiorentino): No, but I have a good idea.

Serendipity (Salma Hayek): It doesn't matter what you have faith in, just that you have faith.
I LOVE that movie... and yes, if one is easily offended, by swearing or 'blasphemous' humor... don't watch it. It's the same two that did Clerks, etc... so there's a LOT of language... but so stinking funny it hurts. That quote is excellent from it as well...

Amanda

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add that along with what appears to be several others, I also enjoy the movie Dogma! Despite vulgar language (which doesn't bother me at all
) there is a pretty cool message in the film, I think! Plus it is pretty funny.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

I just wanted to add that along with what appears to be several others, I also enjoy the movie Dogma! Despite vulgar language (which doesn't bother me at all
) there is a pretty cool message in the film, I think! Plus it is pretty funny.
I just love it when the chick asks what the meaning of life is, and god touches her nose with a 'meep'

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hum.... Seems pretty accurate ... Grandma was Russian Eastern orthodox and Mom was raised it and I too was taught it by Grandma ... But Grandma s teaching of me was mostly #1 ( big shocker
).... another in the top 5 I am studying now and Mom did on and off over the yrs ...
1. \tOrthodox Judaism (100%)
2. \tIslam (96%)
3. \tJehovah's Witness (85%)
4. \tOrthodox Quaker (75%)
5. \tBaha'i Faith (74%)
6. \tChurch of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (73%)
7. \tJainism (73%)
8. \tSeventh Day Adventist (71%)
9. \tEastern Orthodox (70%)
10. \tRoman Catholic (70%)
11. \tMainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (69%)
12. \tSikhism (69%)
13. \tReform Judaism (64%)
14. \tHinduism (60%)
15. \tLiberal Quakers (47%)
16. \tMahayana Buddhism (46%)
17. \tMainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (38%)
18. \tTheravada Buddhism (37%)
19. \tUnitarian Universalism (33%)
20. \tNeo-Pagan (31%)
21. \tNew Age (22%)
22. \tNontheist (20%)
23. \tScientology (16%)
24. \tChristian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (14%)
25. \tSecular Humanism (14%)
26. \tTaoism (13%)
27. \tNew Thought (12%)

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm consider myself Pagan/Wiccan/Pantheistic. I left Christianity as a teenager and haven't looked back.

I think the test is pretty accurate as far as it goes. It was interesting to take and see the results.

1. Neo-Pagan (100%)
2. New Age (86%)
3. Mahayana Buddhism (82%)
4. Theravada Buddhism (76%)
5. Unitarian Universalism (73%)
6. Jainism (70%)
7. Liberal Quakers (66%)
8. Hinduism (65%)
9. Taoism (62%)
10. Sikhism (58%)
11. New Thought (55%)
12. Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (54%)
13. Scientology (51%)
14. Reform Judaism (51%)
15. Orthodox Quaker (47%)
16. Secular Humanism (44%)
17. Baha'i Faith (38%)
18. Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (35%)
19. Orthodox Judaism (26%)
20. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (23%)
21. Seventh Day Adventist (21%)
22. Nontheist (21%)
23. Eastern Orthodox (19%)
24. Roman Catholic (19%)
25. Islam (17%)
26. Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (17%)
27. Jehovah's Witness (7%)

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rob and I are both atheists.

Church was never big in my family, we never went. And through the years I made my own decision on what path I was going to follow.