I'm Going to Kill This Cat: At My Wits End

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old (spayed) cat has been lately pissing on certain things...I've had it.

She has been to the vet. We did the whole medical stuff (urinalysis, bloodwork, organ function screen, etc). It all came back normal and she is healthy.

Today she pissed on my favorite pair of sneakers. They were $120. Needles to say, I am furious. Last week she pissed on my comforter. A month ago it was my $1,800 dollar laptop. She also pissed on a pair of socks. I am very angry and at my wits end.

Thoughts? Advice?

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What has changed in your household lately? Your cat seems to be having security issues and you need to be patient with her. There is something making her feel insecure about you and/or the stability of her sourroundings that is making her do this. Try to figure that out and usually it will resolve things. Also make sure everything is enzyme cleaned.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A good pair of sneakers only costs $120 where you are? Don't come to Australia, you will die in shock when you see the prices :eek:).

I agree with hexiesfriend. If you've suddenly started to leave your cat alone for large amounts of time, if you have strange cats wandering across your lawn,.. Even things you think of as inconsequential can upset an older cat set in her ways. 

Cats are extremely good at picking up your emotions, I totally understand your frustration, I've been through this myself, but feeling that way will only confuse your cat more. I can promise you she isn't doing it out of spite. 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What has changed in your household lately? Your cat seems to be having security issues and you need to be patient with her. There is something making her feel insecure about you and/or the stability of her sourroundings that is making her do this. Try to figure that out and usually it will resolve things. Also make sure everything is enzyme cleaned.
I was about to ask the same thing. What changed? Did anyone move in or out either human or animal? Is it ONLY your things that are being targeted? 

I'm glad to hear that it's not medical but yeah, that can be frustrating. I feel your pain. 

How many litter boxes do you have?? How many cats? Some cats prefer have one for each bodily function. 

I was also going to recommend a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle. 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try puppy pads? Is she one of the de-clawed ones (I know you said some of your cats were de-clawed by previous owners)? A lot of older de-clawed cats (and some clawed ones, can't discount it) get arthritis when they get older and climbing in the litterbox is not so comfortable for them. Although most will still poop in the litterbox. . .maybe because they only have to poop a couple times a day? Idk. Cats are weird.

mtgal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not accusing in any fashion - but how often do you clean her box? One of my older cats suddenly became very picky about her box. I've always cleaned the boxes daily, but when she got around 12 she decided once a day wasn't enough and began peeing elsewhere. I now clean her box twice a day and she is back to being clean. I think that, like us, cats can get a bit weird as they age and some develop these irritating habits. 

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I faced the same situation with a spayed cat.  She peed in/on the strangest places...like in a sink, on carpet behind the sofa, in a fruit basket, several times down the heating vents.  The worst was when she peed down one of the stove burners.  You cannot imagine the smell this created when I unknowingly one day turned the stove on!

I took her to a holistic Vet who quickly pinpointed the problem.  "She's frightened".  She could tell by her demeanor, tail wrapped around her in defensive posture, huddled up.  She asked if there were any other cats in the household.  I told her yes--her brother and her three sisters.  Then it dawned on me...her brother is a bully; he chases her and she cannot or will not defend herself.  The Vet explained that stressed/frightened cats "pee" outside the litter box.  The smell of their own urine is "comforting" to them.  It also sends a message.

I was advised to put her in a separate room along with her litter box.  Give her space of her own.  She is to be fed in this room also (not near the litter box of course) and keep her in there.  Cats will not pee their own space.  I asked the Vet if she won't feel isolated there.  Vet asked, "Does the room have a window in it".  It did.  Vet said, she will be fine.  So I followed the Vet's advice.  That solved the pee problem!  The cat loved having her own space.  She returned to using only her litter-box and was a very happy cat from then on.

The cat is now 15 years old, healthy and doing well.  Her brother has recently passed on, so she has free rein of the house, yet prefers the security of "her room".  She comes out now and then, but always returns to "her room".  Pee problem permanently solved!

I think your cat has security issues.  You need to examine what if anything has changed in her environment.  Try giving her a "safe, secure space" of her own.  I'll bet you will see a difference!