Im Going Crazy

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so worried my Shonzee cat wont make it through the night with his severe Jaundice. Im doing everything I can to keep him hydrated and to put some calories/nutrients in him. I dont know what else to do and Im going to be so heartbroken if I lose him.

I posted earlier "My cat has Jaundice"

I will syringe feed him come morning when I can get a syringe and some S/D but for now I am freaking out.

Waiting for these test results feel like years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you can't get a syringe from a vet at this hour, but just about any store with a pharmacy (including WalMart and most major grocery stores) will have syringes in the pharmacy department but out in the open, not behind the counter. They'll have CC and (I think) teaspoon markings on the side, and there will be no needle in the syringe. A lot of people use them to give liquid medications to babies, but we use them to give medications, water, and/or liquified food to sick cats. Suck the food up into the syringe by putting the tip of the syringe into the food and then pulling the plunger up. Note: the food has to be liquid for this to work! You can start with a paté style cat food or a meet baby food (no onions or garlic; they're poisonous to cats!) and add enough water to make it thin enough to suck into the syringe. Then you inject just a little into the cat's mouth between the gums and the cheek. Hold the cat's mouth gently closed and stroke his throat to encourage him to swallow. Repeat for as long as the cat will allow, but never too much at a time. You don't want the cat to choke. I hope you can find a store that's open at this hour; it pretty much depends on where you live.

I'm sorry it took me so long to spot your new thread.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :catlove: :catrub:

Margret

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can't get a syringe right now, do you have an eye dropper you could use? (Clean it very thoroughly first; you don't want to get eye drops in his food.) Or possibly a straw? You can stick one end of the straw into the food and cover the other end with your finger, put the bottom of the straw in his mouth between cheek and gum, and then remove your finger to release the food. The problem is that you have to load the straw with the right amount of food; everything in the straw will go when you remove your finger. Err on the side of too little, not too much. One of those coffee stirrers that's shaped like a little straw would be the best.

A turkey baster is probably too big, but one of those squeeze bottles with a long tip (like they use for ketchup or mustard at some fast food places) would also work.

Margret