im feeling a little down today .... i could use a friend to talk to / A little about myself

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try to convince your husband to get him help from social services. They are the only ones with deep enough pockets to really help somebody fix their life. Your husband can't really help him with his day to day needs, it's too expensive
:yeah:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems you have two separate problems, your unwanted visitor, and your husband.

For the visitor, if he knocks at night and youre alone, ignoring him clearly isn't deterring him. I would shout out the door that he is not welcome at this time and if he doesn't leave you'll call the police. And then follow through and tell them you're being harassed and he's been told to leave and won't.

The bigger problem is that your husband isn't respecting your comfort level and making unilateral decisions about visitors. You shouldn't feel like you have to walk on eggshells in a healthy relationship. I would actually try to justify less because it leads open more room for him to try and argue with you. If you say it's not appropriate because you're married, he can just say he doesn't care, etc. If you just say "no, I'm not comfortable" there's less wiggle room. If he asks why just say "I'm just not" and refuse to discuss it.

But frankly, in your situation, I would really be thinking if I wanted to stay married or not. The level of disrespect to keep inviting him into your house and caring about the feelings of a random person over the one he promised to love and honor, when you've specifically said you're not feeling safe, is not something I could easily get over. And if you're scared to upset him, that just doesn't seem healthy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems you have two separate problems, your unwanted visitor, and your husband.

For the visitor, if he knocks at night and youre alone, ignoring him clearly isn't deterring him. I would shout out the door that he is not welcome at this time and if he doesn't leave you'll call the police. And then follow through and tell them you're being harassed and he's been told to leave and won't.

The bigger problem is that your husband isn't respecting your comfort level and making unilateral decisions about visitors. You shouldn't feel like you have to walk on eggshells in a healthy relationship. I would actually try to justify less because it leads open more room for him to try and argue with you. If you say it's not appropriate because you're married, he can just say he doesn't care, etc. If you just say "no, I'm not comfortable" there's less wiggle room. If he asks why just say "I'm just not" and refuse to discuss it.

But frankly, in your situation, I would really be thinking if I wanted to stay married or not. The level of disrespect to keep inviting him into your house and caring about the feelings of a random person over the one he promised to love and honor, when you've specifically said you're not feeling safe, is not something I could easily get over. And if you're scared to upset him, that just doesn't seem healthy.
Lari Lari i get everything that you are saying here , i really do and if that guy keeps coming over i will put my foot down for sure !

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I was you I'd point hubby in the direction of social services tell him to talk to them on this guys behave. Once he's found shelters and homeless charities he can point said freind in the right direction. If this guy doesn't want or won't contact the help your hubby tells him about then you've proved your point to hubby and hopefully he'll stop inviting this guy in. I definitely would not have said freind in the house and would point out that you don't know the full story behind his homelessness. And you don't trust him because he's coming to the house when your alone. Ask your hubby why he's doing this if he asks him not to and he doesn't respect what he's been told maybe hubby will realise that he can't help everyone.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I might express that Hubby’s empathy is a fine quality to be admired, but that it needs to be balanced with some practical perspective.
It’s all well and good to help the less fortunate, but there still needs to be boundaries. Helping other people at the expense of your family is not balanced or healthy.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Lari Lari .

I pray this will be over for you. It is never cool to be disturbed. This guy is still young and most probably has no health issues. So I hope he'd get help soon. Please be extra careful. It is good that you do not let him in especially when your hubby is not around. Put extra locks on your doors and windows. And as advised by others here, call the cops if he keeps bugging you.

I can understand your situation with your hubby. I have been facing similar situation right now and I know how frustrating it is, or sometimes it feels like being trapped. I do not really know what to advice either, but I am just here in case you need someone to talk to.

MsKat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
there has been a lot going on here at my place that has me feeling slightly on edge , patience is running low with the hubby and like i have no safe place to be at when hes gone to work ... a homeless young man has been coming to my door when im sleeping and taps on my door like 5 or 6 times during the night and disturbed my rest ... i have told the hubby how i feel and im basically being ignored ... i am ready to give up .... i dont hate people but dont want him here at all ( homeless person)
Wondering if you may need to call domestic violence hotline. This sounds like emotional abuse to me (((hugs))) Stay safe!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strider rose

cat toy lady and cat mom to 3
Top Cat
Purraise
well this morning i went over to my landlord's office and let her know that he was coming around at late at night and that i felt he was disturbing my neighbors with his banging on my door and also i was very scared of this guy as well . she said that she would see what she could do on her end .

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Boundaries. You MUST have boundaries. I have worked for a non-profit where clients were dealing with all kinds of issues. You can easily be taken advantage of. You need to balance compassion with practical wisdom. Sometimes different mental health issues cause people to latch onto another individual and it can absolutely drain you. You can't help people without keeping healthy boundaries. And that's why there is Social Services and other non-profits to help people get to a better place in life.

Not to be alarmist; but I did have one unstable client who I was instructed to call the police if we ever spotted her nearby again. She was not in a good place and blamed us! As much as we wanted to help; it became clear that we could not do it and keep ourselves and other clients safe. In her mind; we were the bad guys.

Just last weekend we had a sobbing woman ring our doorbell at 12:30 am! I didn't hear it but DS did and I thought he was kidding when he said the doorbell rang! She didn't stay long; less than 30 seconds and longer than it would have taken me to get the house alarm off and wake DH up. She had walked away before I even got the security camera pulled up on my phone. There are far too many stories about something like that where a person is in distress but it turns out to be a setup. It actually happened to a friend's mother when she was here in the US during college. They tried to say that her husband had been in an accident. Which means they knew he wasn't home. They didn't know he was traveling out of the area. Her mother called the police. They are better equipped to handle whatever it is; whether it's someone with malicious intent or someone in genuine distress.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you brought up the homeless issue in a thread in the IMO forum. Helping the homeless is something for the professionals to do or at least be done at the direction of the professionals. Often there are mental health and/or substance abuse issues. Those are issues for the professionals. It is true that the majority of people with mental illness are not dangerous but some are and only the professionals can make that distinction. Even without that danger someone can easily be sucked dry by trying to help someone in this situation.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well i think maybe that the homeless guy is going to be getting a place to live soon or at least that is what the hubs told me tonite so im hoping that there is light at the end of this tunnel for me
That's good. I hope it's true. You really need to work on getting some respect from the husband. The fact that he completely ignored your concerns shows a severe lack of respect, IMO. No one should feel disrespected in a marriage. Put on your big girl panties and take him to task!! :lol: