I’m Crying. I’m So Stressed About My New Cat. I Think I’m Failing At Adopting.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a blind, FIV positive cat on Monday. Long-story short. He was hanging around my neighbors yard all summer, but it was clear he had a vision issue. They left food out for him so he'd keep coming around and eventually caught him and brought him to the humane society. After the stray hold, I adopted him. He was neutered on Monday and I brought him home. Since he is blind, I've kept him confined to the safest three rooms in the house. It is about 500 square feet, but there is almost zero chance of him getting hurt in these rooms since I live in a townhouse with bannisters.

The first two days, when I was home he was so loving. He wanted constant pets and just kneaded me or the air while purring constantly. He wouldn't play with me, but he'd at least seek attention. But when I left him, I think he barely moved. Today he has wanted nothing and I mean nothing to do with me. He hissed at me. He figured out how to get in the bathtub and is hiding in there.

I'm just so worried this cat is unhappy being brought inside to a small space. I'm worried he won't get enough stimulation because he is blind and not interested in any of the toys or scratching posts I got. He doesn't like the cat bed and prefers the hardwood. He scarfs down food when I give it to him, so I can't leave him overnight without him eating a days worth of food in one go which I know is bad for their tiny stomaches.

The good news is he is using his litterbox and as of yet he hasn't scratched my stuff. But I don't think he is scratching his scratching post either. I'll need to eventually cut his nails and he'll hate me even more. I just. I don't know. I've always been an animal person. I pet sat growing up. If I was asked to stop by 3 times a day, I'd stop by 5 times. If someone asked me to let their dog out, I'd walk it instead and then cuddle it. I'm crying because I'm afraid this was a mistake, but I've always been the "pets are family, how can you get rid of them" person. But i'm just so scared he hates it here.

Does it get better, or should I really consider taking him back to where he was at least comfortable? They all talked about how loving he was and curious. And he just is so standoffish here.
Hello and welcome RenM RenM and Sparrow to TCS! I just finished reading these threads and I thank you for what you are doing for this little man, who is obviously adapting to a LOT of life changes all at once. He is doing extremely well, actually. Other posters' suggestions and thoughts are very good. To them, I would add a visit to bestfriends.org/resources. Best Friends is an amazing sanctuary in Utah. I have been there and it is indeed a magical place. They care for many special-needs animals and will probably have a wealth of information and stories about blind cats to help you. Jackson Galaxy, cat behaviorist extraordinaire, also known as The Cat Daddy, has several books out, as well as his Animal Planet show, "MY CAT FROM HELL" (don't let the name put you off if you're not familiar with it/him. He is WONDERFUL and the shows are all about teaching people how to live with, care for, and please their cats) and many videos on YouTube which may be helpful.
Three days is no time at all. Think of yourself meeting someone or moving or starting a new school or job. Three days? No time at all. Love and patience will help Sparrow to adapt to his new environment and come to know you better. May this be the start of a wonderful and amazing lifetime together!:vibes::vibes::vibes::bigeyes::redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump::goldstar::goodluck:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama

I can't say for sure, but I think he was dumped. He isn't mean and he took to the litter box very easily. He actually was very loving last night and tolerant of me this morning lol
Poor little guy. :( It does sound, though, like he's starting to get comfortable with you. :redheartpump:

:catlove::petcat::heartshape:

chromecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have any advice to offer as I don't have experience with neither of the issues your cat has, but I just wanted to say thank you for taking him in, you are a beautiful person!

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Think in terms of weeks and months, not days.
When I brought my fire-cat rescue home I was very surprised she allowed me to pet her just a week and a half into her stay.
Since your kitty is blind, smell and sound will be key in dealing with him.
Always announce yourself in sweet tones, chatter with him a lot, let him smell your hand before touching him.
Give him ample time to adjust, rescue work is a long-term, slow-motion reward.