I'm Blacklisted By Dog Breeders

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We've been in the same boat for a rare breed we want rather than need, and some breeders are great and some...I wouldn't want to work with. And our standards of health/care are not necessarily higher, but different.
Some breeders do ship dogs, sight unseen, if they talk with you at length. Don't give up. You'll find yourself a nice dog

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, just an observation, but I'm starting to wonder if your main problem is that you keep changing your story and refuse to answer questions directly, or give vague answers and keep just accusing all breeders of being against you. If you did the same thing when talking to breeders and on forums, understand that that makes you sound very unreliable and dishonest, which would raise a lot of red flags for a breeder.

Based on your answers though, I'm guessing this really was just a venting thread looking for sympathy, not actually wanting help, so I'm done trying.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, just an observation, but I'm starting to wonder if your main problem is that you keep changing your story and refuse to answer questions directly, or give vague answers and keep just accusing all breeders of being against you. If you did the same thing when talking to breeders and on forums, understand that that makes you sound very unreliable and dishonest, which would raise a lot of red flags for a breeder.

Based on your answers though, I'm guessing this really was just a venting thread looking for sympathy, not actually wanting help, so I'm done trying.
Maybe you're right, but trust me...some breeders really are nuts.
They don't just want nice homes, they want people who will lick the boots of the breeder and praise them constantly and do whatever the breeder orders.
IDK what the original posters situation really is, but I know some people who can't drive and can't handle a long car ride are really, really good owners.
I'm a crap owner to most show breeders because I really don't care if my dog is ass mule ugly. If they're smart, and can figure life out, they're a winner with me.
There are a lot of show breeders I respect, personally and professionally because they do both. Their dogs show, they work or trial or sport and prove they're not idiot fluffy things that just run around in circles for the judge, but I have no respect for breeders who breed show dogs that are pretty but are too stupid to find the end of a 4 foot leash. With the breed the original poster is interested in, the show line thing is HUGE.

In all honesty, I don't envy their situation.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe you're right, but trust me...some breeders really are nuts.
They don't just want nice homes, they want people who will lick the boots of the breeder and praise them constantly and do whatever the breeder orders.
IDK what the original posters situation really is, but I know some people who can't drive and can't handle a long car ride are really, really good owners.
I'm a crap owner to most show breeders because I really don't care if my dog is ass mule ugly. If they're smart, and can figure life out, they're a winner with me.
There are a lot of show breeders I respect, personally and professionally because they do both. Their dogs show, they work or trial or sport and prove they're not idiot fluffy things that just run around in circles for the judge, but I have no respect for breeders who breed show dogs that are pretty but are too stupid to find the end of a 4 foot leash. With the breed the original poster is interested in, the show line thing is HUGE.

In all honesty, I don't envy their situation.
I'm not saying that there aren't crazy breeders out there, just the original poster is making it sound like they think every single dog breeder is. It makes me wonder if perhaps the issue is on their end not the breeder's, as in a bit of miscommunication (especially if they changed and added to their story as often as they did here). I did point out maybe it's the breed, but nope every single breeder is exactly the same. That attitude going in is going to put people on the defensive.

I don't know, maybe they live in a country with only a few different dog breeds to choose from so the only possibility for a dog is one or two breeds. I only have what is in this thread to go on, and they never answered what breed (which was asked at least 3 times), other then saying it's not a rare breed and that the shelters around them don't have any. I think there is more to this story then they are telling us.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not saying that there aren't crazy breeders out there, just the original poster is making it sound like they think every single dog breeder is. It makes me wonder if perhaps the issue is on their end not the breeder's, as in a bit of miscommunication (especially if they changed and added to their story as often as they did here). I did point out maybe it's the breed, but nope every single breeder is exactly the same. That attitude going in is going to put people on the defensive.

I don't know, maybe they live in a country with only a few different dog breeds to choose from so the only possibility for a dog is one or two breeds. I only have what is in this thread to go on, and they never answered what breed (which was asked at least 3 times), other then saying it's not a rare breed and that the shelters around them don't have any. I think there is more to this story then they are telling us.
Perhaps, but how many purebred breeders have you talked to or dealt with?
Many are so nice, and are happy to find someone that wants to join the "family" of their breed. These guys have given us some outstanding working dogs and are proud of that, titles be damned. (A few of our dogs have titles, and we like to do so, but it's not our life.)
Some are just insane and have ridiculous demands on diet, vaccinations, training schedules, how the dog is raised, handled, and if you mess up, the dog is forcibly taken back. It's nuts!
I'm familiar with the breed the poster is interested in. Politics reign supreme and it makes it almost impossible to get a nice pup unless you're willing to be the breeders boot licking servant.. Some people will do whatever it takes to get a nice dog, some people (like me) won't deal with people like that.

Good people are turned down by rescues and breeders a lot because they don't have gobs of money, and can't promise the breeder they'll give up their lives to do trialing to make sure the breeder gets recognition on their pups.
Again, I don't know the posters history or why they want the dog they want except they want a nice calm pet/performance dog. That shouldn't be a huge issue provided that the breeder has a contract stating if the pup doesn't work out for the buyer (at any age) the pup is returned, to keep shelters clear and to keep the pup safe and the buyer has a nice out if they become ill, etc. for the life of the dog.
In any case, if the breeder the poster spoke with wasn't happy, publicly bashing them on an internet forum is unprofessional and shitty despite their reasons, no different than if I bought a kitten from a breeder here on TCS, wasn't happy, and bashed them all over TCS. These things can be handled in a better way.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Perhaps, but how many purebred breeders have you talked to or dealt with?
Many are so nice, and are happy to find someone that wants to join the "family" of their breed. These guys have given us some outstanding working dogs and are proud of that, titles be damned. (A few of our dogs have titles, and we like to do so, but it's not our life.)
Some are just insane and have ridiculous demands on diet, vaccinations, training schedules, how the dog is raised, handled, and if you mess up, the dog is forcibly taken back. It's nuts!
I'm familiar with the breed the poster is interested in. Politics reign supreme and it makes it almost impossible to get a nice pup unless you're willing to be the breeders boot licking servant.. Some people will do whatever it takes to get a nice dog, some people (like me) won't deal with people like that.

Good people are turned down by rescues and breeders a lot because they don't have gobs of money, and can't promise the breeder they'll give up their lives to do trialing to make sure the breeder gets recognition on their pups.
Again, I don't know the posters history or why they want the dog they want except they want a nice calm pet/performance dog. That shouldn't be a huge issue provided that the breeder has a contract stating if the pup doesn't work out for the buyer (at any age) the pup is returned, to keep shelters clear and to keep the pup safe and the buyer has a nice out if they become ill, etc. for the life of the dog.
In any case, if the breeder the poster spoke with wasn't happy, publicly bashing them on an internet forum is unprofessional and shitty despite their reasons, no different than if I bought a kitten from a breeder here on TCS, wasn't happy, and bashed them all over TCS. These things can be handled in a better way.
Actually I know and talk to several purebred dog breeders of various breeds, both in the US and Canada, and have also bought dogs from two different breeders. However, I only have dealt with buying from breeders of dogs I am interested in, some breeders of certain breeds are more crazy then others. Which is why I figured it might be a breeders of a specific breed in their area issue. I also only buy from breeders that I see eye to eye with on requirements, if I don't agree with the rules I move on. Regardless though, you can't just change what you said to someone or omit facts until later and expect them to be ok with it. That is going to cause red flags for a breeder of any animal that actually cares where their animals are going.

Clearly you have talked to the wannahelp not on this thread, because you have info not on here, which is fine. My thoughts and comments are based solely on what is on this thread though. As I said there is obviously more to this story then is in this thread.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never met a dog breeder that had any problems with questions or required pick up of their dogs by the person making the purchase. The breeder I chose for my puppy is a wonderful lady who was so happy to hear all my questions and to answer every single one. We have a continuing relationship and she will be a part of my dog's life forever.

I believe you've posted before about problems with breeders and I'm not entirely sure why you're having such problems. I also don't understand why the breed you're looking for is some big secret. It could be the breed specifically that has these problems?

I can think of around 15 breeds that are hypoallergenic, so perhaps it is time to try for a different one? You don't need to find a breeder nearby as many good breeders are willing to ship by plane having just met you over the phone or Skype.

MarcEwing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, the described problem looks slightly embellished. Either there are certain strangeness on your part, maybe you are looking for some unique breed... But that all the breeders refused? You never told anyone about your problem? Maybe you just write that you can not come, but do not give reasons? This raises questions among people. Be more open, explain your situation and the person will understand you.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess it’s biology. If women see someone as a threat, they have to find a way to eliminate that threat. If someone is an inferior, they have to ensure those genes are selected out too.
Women being threatened by other women is a result of a patriarchal society that pits us against each other, which is why women are often the harshest judges of other women.

Having said that, what breed are you looking for? Have you been upfront about your inability to drive any long distances? Have you asked for accommodations for the situation? You can straight out ask them if they are refusing to sell because of your physical limitations and remind them that it is illegal to discriminate. You are allotted certain rights that cannot be taken away. Assert them if there is a need.

I can empathize with you. Extreme domestic violence at the hands of my ex-husband left me physically disabled and suffering from C-PTSD, anxiety, and agoraphobia that has caused me to become almost housebound. I have gotten better enough over the last few years that I can typically go to the store without much of an issue. Typically. I have, however, had a panic attack in our local grocery store and vomited everywhere and sat crying hysterically. That was fun. We live in a rather small town, so I am sure everyone knows! On rare occasions, I can go on dates with my husband.