I'm at a loss how to get my cats to get along

Sabbers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat I found as a stray she is 5 years old, I also had my other cat but he died in December. So she is used to other cats, we have also had foster cats before. We adopted a male cat in January he is about 2 years old (some of his notes say he is 3) anyway he is very friendly, was neutered at the adoption place in December. He is used to living with other cats as well. The introduction hasn't gone well. He is a ball of energy and my kids kept letting him out and he would run after my resident cat to play. He really liked her. She does not like him. She would hiss and growl at him and he would cower in fear. Now they fight which I heard is bad news. I really don't want to have to send him to a place to be adopted when the whole reason was to rescue a cat and give him a loving home.

Now he has turned his friendliness into aggression because of her hostility. He chases her and she hides behind the sofa in fear. I think they are both scared of each other.

I keep trying to reintroduce them to each other and move their food bowls closer to each other, and leave a gap in the door, I've bought a few feliways and it hasn't worked.

I just don't know what to do anymore I'm at a loss. I love them to bits and don't want to have to re-home one of them.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

I love them to bits and don't want to have to re-home one of them.
Hopefully this won't need to happen :)

You may receive other recommendations, and I'm not an expert but my thoughts would be to separate them so that your kids aren't able to let him out. At any rate, there may be something here that helps;
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Now they fight which I heard is bad news.
Just in case, let me post this as well;
Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

Here are some other calming products that might work;
nly Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they fight to the point of blood shed, that is bad news. If they are just growling and hissing that is fine. Cats NEED to communicate. One chasing the other, then one hisses or growls, and the other cowers back, this is great! They are telling each other what is ok. When one cat chases the other under the couch, does the one under the couch stay there for hours, or some back out shortly? If they come back out they are just playing, chasing, hiding, getting vocal, and playing some more. Cat play can be REALLY rough and I think you are mistaking their behavior as fear when it is all just part of play. Most cat owners over react drastically when their babies get vocal. I don't know why people think cats aren't allowed to communicate with each other. The way they do this is through hissing and growling. Just take a deep breath and let them be.

Unless there is blood shed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sabbers

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Furballsmom I will look through that today. I've already had a quick read of the unsuccessful introduction link and it's full of good advice.

Thanks Jen, there is no bloodshed or injuries that I have seen. But the new cat Dougal does lash out at our resident cat Shadow and there is a huge yowling from her. She will hide for ages. She used to come out and sit on the back of the chair and watch him and attempt to leave the room but he will just run at her every time. Now she will hide away and not leave until he has been removed. Her body language isn't great either she will slink along the floor and bristle her fur.