I'm a bad cat mom :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If the room she is being kept in is only the size of a normal bedroom, then I think you definitely need to find some other solution to keep her safe. If I kept my domestic cat Grim locked in my bedroom all the time, he would dig up all the carpet and trash the room within a week.
Has Sabriel ever displayed symptoms of pica before? Even if her breed is predispositioned to it, I don't think she should be 'punished' for it, until she actually has it. Preventative measures are different, like making sure chewable items are picked up and put away, but I think you'd feel silly if you cooped her up her whole life, only for her to never actually get pica.

(Licking is fine btw, most cats lick their prey (or in this case, toys) My cat even rips the fur off his fake mice, but he does not eat it. Give her a chance at some, and then if you find them to be a problem, stop using them.
)
I'm not quite sure I understand the point of not being able to give her treats for a month. If it is so you don't accidentally give her a treat that's unhealthy or poor quality, I *guess* I understand, but if the treats you were giving her were just actually small bites of her own food, or pieces of chicken, I can't possibly see how it could hurt...
I highly vote for the lattice idea. Basically just something to keep that whole area blocked off. You could still keep her in the room when you are asleep/at work, but then when you are home, you could have her out with you with less worry.

Like everyone said, you're not a bad cat mom at all, just worried for your baby's safety.

Just my
btw
Okay her cat room as mentioned doesn't have carpet it has vinyl flooring, and the only things in there are her cat things and they are all very sturdy so she can't trash anything... But the reason why I made this thread was I was worried about her mental well being as well as emotional.

She has displayed several signs of pica. When she's been in my bedroom with me she'll scratch at the flooring and then whatever carpet strands come loose she'll chew on and I have to stop her from trying to swallow them. She'll chew on the door stoppers behind the doors, which my vet has told me he's had quite a few cats surprising come in and have to have surgery because they swallowed the rubber end of those. She'll mess with the cords behind the tv, she usually doesn't bite those two much because as soon as she goes back there I either use the laser pointer or get a toy to divert her attention. 

I'll give her a chance with some toys that I don't entirely trust but she'll be under supervision with them... I was looking for toys that she could play with when I'm not able to be around her..

The treat thing I didn't get either, but as I signed the contract and they know what they're doing I think I'm just following directions. The month is over now btw, last night she got a tiny bite of chicken and she was so pleased lol.

I'll look around about the lattice work and ask my family for their idea as well. The only other thing I'd seen like that is plexi glass, and I wasn't going to install that... 

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay her cat room as mentioned doesn't have carpet it has vinyl flooring, and the only things in there are her cat things and they are all very sturdy so she can't trash anything... But the reason why I made this thread was I was worried about her mental well being as well as emotional.
I know, the point was that he would go mad if I kept him locked up. Even if there was no carpet, he'd scratch at the floor/door until there were marks xD

She has displayed several signs of pica. When she's been in my bedroom with me she'll scratch at the flooring and then whatever carpet strands come loose she'll chew on and I have to stop her from trying to swallow them. She'll chew on the door stoppers behind the doors, which my vet has told me he's had quite a few cats surprising come in and have to have surgery because they swallowed the rubber end of those. She'll mess with the cords behind the tv, she usually doesn't bite those two much because as soon as she goes back there I either use the laser pointer or get a toy to divert her attention. 
My cat will nom at the carpet strands if they come up, but he spits them up somehow. For the cords, you might want to invest in those plastic tubes you put them in for organization. You can find them at Radioshack (and Bestbuy I think).
I'm not trying to be picky btw, I'm just very skeptical of everything. But if you think she's got it, then we'll move on. :)

I'll give her a chance with some toys that I don't entirely trust but she'll be under supervision with them... I was looking for toys that she could play with when I'm not able to be around her..
Oh, I didn't realize that. Either way though, if you find out she's okay with them, it'll be some great new additions to her room. :nod:

The treat thing I didn't get either, but as I signed the contract and they know what they're doing I think I'm just following directions. The month is over now btw, last night she got a tiny bite of chicken and she was so pleased lol.

I'll look around about the lattice work and ask my family for their idea as well. The only other thing I'd seen like that is plexi glass, and I wasn't going to install that... 
I bet you could even do chicken wire; just attach it at the corner with painting nails. It'd be uglier, but cheaper.

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as occupying her & keeping her busy, what about training her? Someone on here posted a video a while ago of one that was trained w/ a clicker. It would be good for her mentally.

Might be worth checking out. Just read your thread, & remembered that video. (I think it was posted by Nebula).
Yes lol!!

It is Kaiser, the amazing trained Bengal!! Check him out