I'm a bad cat mom :(

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have a 4 and a half month old Savannah. She and most of her breed have pica issues - chewing on and eating things that are not edible - such as carpet, metal, wires etc. 

So in my home I have a cat room - a place for her cat beds, her cat tree's, scratching posts, litter box, food dish, and toys. The flooring is vinyl. When I'm at work and when I'm sleeping she is in the cat room. Not only because of the pica issues but also because I have a split foyer house and because of the way the stair well is designed it would be very easy for her to jump onto a very enticing looking perch for her and then fall down like 15 feet to most likely be injured or worse. I know cat's land on there feet and all that but I still think she would get hurt particularly because she's only 4 months at the moment. My mom, dad, and grandma are all telling me to let her free roam and get used to the house - I've had her for almost a month now... every time she is upstairs she is scared of me and very skittish. Downstairs she is better with me because that's where I am most with her... I have a finished basement btw.

I don't want to be a bad pet mom, but I also don't think I will be letting her free roam...

So please can anyone tell me idea's that I can do to make the basement more enticing to her. Things I could set up to get her interested, she's very intelligent and VERY VERY active. The toys I keep in the room with her all the time she is bored with particularly after a month. I keep a catnip mouse, a toy squirrel, and a laser pointer for play time with me that she still finds very interesting. She is not interested in feather toys... I mean she is kind of but she's very aggressive with it and likes the stick part of it more than the feather part of it. Compared to the other toys she doesn't like that one as much. I'm willing to buy stuff from petco or pet smart or whatever. I want her happy and I also want her thinking... I don't want her to become sullen and depressed. 

Also another thing is ever since I got her she would do these little play biting things.. not too bad but I would do the stern "no" and then usually she would go back to licking. I've looked up a lot of different things online to try but can anyone help me to stop that behavior? At times it's harder than just a play bite and hurts. Twice today and today is the first time she did it.. she bit me on the chin and once hard enough to bleed a tiny tiny bit. Both times it hurt though. Before she always licked or nuzzled my face which I was happy with. Today though she went from licking to a hard-ish bite and I really want to nip that behavior in the bud. 

She's also learned of my tactic of throwing one of her toys into the room, and then when she goes to chase after it after play time is when I close the door. So now she really doesn't like her "cat room"... I NEED her to like that room more... I feel terrible that she doesn't like it... But with my last cat dying from lymphoma I'm terrified of something happening to this one of her either falling off the banister or choking on something or getting a blockage or all sorts of things that could potentially happen.. 

Yes I know I sound like a bad pet mom for keeping her caged in a room, but I mean well and I'm trying to make it better =(

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to get bored of the same toys too, so I rotate them. I put some away in the closet and switch them after about a month. They are excited and play with them like they are new toys they never saw before. You could try getting her a cat tree and some scratching posts. Most cats love them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats seem to get bored of the same toys too, so I rotate them. I put some away in the closet and switch them after about a month. They are excited and play with them like they are new toys they never saw before. You could try getting her a cat tree and some scratching posts. Most cats love them.
She has a big scratching tree right by the window, and the window has a big ledge so she can sit or lay up there easily. She's got 2 cat beds. She's got 4 scratching posts. She oddly enough whenever I'm around her likes to be on the ground running around... She has TONS of energy which I'm told by the breeder she will lose some of that as she gets older... But she'll still be very active for a cat. 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't think you're a bad pet mom at all! You're concerned about her safety and that's wonderful, and you're also concerned about her welfare and came here to ask for advice. I can't see how that's bad?

I think consulting with the breeder is a good idea. She may have some insight about breed specific issues that I'm not aware of. However, this is a cat, so the basics should hold true for her as well.

Safety first - yes, a fall from this height can be dangerous to a cat, even if they land on their feet. You need to block her access to that particular perch. It's hard to say how to that exactly, without seeing it though. With a young inquisitive cat, you should probably kitten proof other things as well. Here are some related articles:

Making Your Home and Garden Safe For Your Cat

Cat Safety Tips

Cats and Hidden Dangers In the Home

As for the boredom issues. She definitely needs a stimulating environment and opportunity to release her energy. Cat trees are great for that, but I agree that more space is probably better. Again, once you take care of any safety hazards, there's no reason not to let her roam the house. In addition, you may want to consider cat enclosures and teaching her to walk on a leash while wearing a harness. More articles on these and related topics -

Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need to Know

Building a Cat Enclosure

Cat Enclosures

Harness and Leash Training for Cats

Cat Grass

Cat Play - The Rules of the Game

And last, but not least, dealing with her aggression. It sounds like play aggression and is perfectly normal for her age. Just in case it's not, you can read about different types of actual feline aggression here:

Cat Aggression Toward People

For play aggression, try and switch to "fish rod" kind of toys when she's in an aggressive mood, allowing her to interact with you, play and get "aggressive" without hurting you. It is a phase and she will grow out of this eventually, as long as you don't encourage her. Also, avoid punishing her, and if she's a skittish cat, even a loud "No" could potentially intimidate her. So, one more link for you -

Cats and Discipline Don't Mix

Do let us know how she's doing and by all means, add pictures too! We'd love to see her!

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the feedback :)

I have talked to the breeder about the biting and he said that they use redirecting with toys - I e-mailed him yesterday after her two bites to my chin so I didn't get that feedback until after I made my post here. 

I'm a bad cat mom because I don't allow her to free roam is what I meant by the title of the thread. My mom, grandma, and dad all think I should allow her to free roam and they don't think she'll go up to that perch I was talking about... Then again they don't really even know what a savannah cat is or how active and inquisitive she is. My moms never owned a cat, my dad mostly owned farm cats, and my grandma owned several cats through out her life - mostly siamese cats - her last cat which lived 17 and a half years had free roam of the house and was an indoor and outdoor cat, he was the reason why I grew up loving cats. So I get her perspective but Spunky (the siamese cat) never chewed on things he shouldn't and at her house she didn't have anything for him to fall off of because she has a ranch style home. In fact he didn't have any cat toys or trees there he more or less was content doing whatever.

My dad said with the biting issues to flick her in the nose, and I will NOT be doing that. Sure it might get her to quit biting but then she'd be afraid of me and could cause more issues - not to mention it's really not a nice thing to do at all. He's almost 60 though, he grew up on a farm, and he doesn't look any of this stuff up online. I'm 23 and hopefully I'll have Sabriel for a long time hopefully at the very least 15 years - I do not want to do anything like that to my cat ever. I'll be trying the toy diversion things or the feather toy (even though she doesn't like that toy as much). 

Here's a look at her via video and it shows a little bit of her room. For the record the room is as big as a normal bedroom, my cell phone just didn't capture all of it. This was her first day home so it's almost a month old...

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay so I have a 4 and a half month old Savannah. She and most of her breed have pica issues - chewing on and eating things that are not edible - such as carpet, metal, wires etc. 

That, is very typical, of, a hybrid kitten. Some, will outgrow it, some, will not. However, almost all hybrids, seem, to have, some form of pica issues.

So in my home I have a cat room - a place for her cat beds, her cat tree's, scratching posts, litter box, food dish, and toys. The flooring is vinyl.

Sounds like, Loki's cat room

When I'm at work and when I'm sleeping she is in the cat room.

Same with dear Loki. That, has gone on, for, almost two years now

Not only because of the pica issues but also because I have a split foyer house and because of the way the stair well is designed it would be very easy for her to jump onto a very enticing looking perch for her and then fall down like 15 feet to most likely be injured or worse. I know cat's land on there feet and all that but I still think she would get hurt particularly because she's only 4 months at the moment.

My Savannah, was, a living disaster as a kitten. He has gotten better, with age. However, he still lack feline grace. Loki, is still like a dog gone vertical, in general

My mom, dad, and grandma are all telling me to let her free roam and get used to the house - I've had her for almost a month now...

Until, anyone, has lived with a hybrid exotic cat, you can't truly imagine, what, it is like, to live with one. I wouldn't worry about, there opinions.

every time she is upstairs she is scared of me and very skittish.

What behaviors, do you feel, she, is showing that make her "skittish". My Savannah, exhibits behaviors, that, may apear skitsh, but, they really aren't. Once, you have been around him, an hour or so

Downstairs she is better with me because that's where I am most with her...

My
, are: either spend more time with her upstairs, so, she gets "used to you" upstairs or don't worry too much about it.

I have a finished basement btw.

That is very very nice.

I don't want to be a bad pet mom, but I also don't think I will be letting her free roam...

Now, let me start off, by saying two things, one, your F5 Savannah is still a kitten and my F3 is completely out of control. But, in many many cases, exotic hybrid kittens are NEVER allowed to roam free unsupervised. By unsupervised, I mean, without CONSTANT supervision. This, is, IMHO part of owning an exotic hybrid.

So please can anyone tell me idea's that I can do to make the basement more enticing to her.

The more time, you, spend down there, the happier she will be. However, all cats, in my experience want what they can't have. A properly socialized, exotic cat hybrid, will ALWAYS, want what it can't have.

Things I could set up to get her interested, she's very intelligent and VERY VERY active.

Typical hybrid cat.

The toys I keep in the room with her all the time she is bored with particularly after a month.

Loki's toys, are, alternated every other day. Yes, I have a ton of cat toys. Also, many of his toys, are dog toys or human toddler toys.

I keep a catnip mouse, a toy squirrel, and a laser pointer for play time with me that she still finds very interesting.

That is good

She is not interested in feather toys... I mean she is kind of but she's very aggressive with it and likes the stick part of it more than the feather part of it. Compared to the other toys she doesn't like that one as much. I'm willing to buy stuff from petco or pet smart or whatever. I want her happy and I also want her thinking...

Have you tried, Kong toys, made for dogs? Also, look into infant baby toys. I can post you, some picture's of, the ones, I use.

I don't want her to become sullen and depressed. 

A healthy, hybrid exotic cat, is very rarely sullen or depressed.

Also another thing is ever since I got her she would do these little play biting things.. not too bad but I would do the stern "no" and then usually she would go back to licking.

Loki, at two years old, still does that. With age, it is less frequent. But, it still happens. Also, my F3 Savannah, loves to grab my clothes and pull back. Just in case, you encounter, that "problem" it seems to be very normal.

I've looked up a lot of different things online to try but can anyone help me to stop that behavior?

Stick a toy in her mouth and then get up. Hence, ending the "play session", every time she "bites" you,

At times it's harder than just a play bite and hurts.

That, is part of owning/working with hybrids. You can curb it with training and some goes away with age. But, just like other exotic animals, such as parrots, you will get the occasional nip.

Twice today and today is the first time she did it.. she bit me on the chin and once hard enough to bleed a tiny tiny bit.

I had the pleasure, of, owning a 10 year old, re-homed (five times) male Serval named Zuka. He was only in my life, for, about six months, before, he died of bone cancer. However, the Serval and Loki, my F3 Savannah, both exhibit that same behavior, The only way, I could stop that, with, both of them was, to allow them to sniff, lick, and in the case of Loki, grab my chin when  seated. Then, he just licks and rubs it. I am not sure, why, they do it. I suspect, there is a scent gland there, that, exotics and hybrids, find "interesting".

Both times it hurt though. Before she always licked or nuzzled my face which I was happy with. Today though she went from licking to a hard-ish bite and I really want to nip that behavior in

the bud. 

See above please
. Also, soaps, perfumes, and such, make exotics and hybrids very "grabby and bitty". Just try and stick to ones, that, are familiar to the cat(s) and get a limited reaction.

She's also learned of my tactic of throwing one of her toys into the room, and then when she goes to chase after it after play time is when I close the door.

Yea, that worked with Loki, for, about a week

So now she really doesn't like her "cat room"...

Neither does Loki. I have to carry him in there, with him
and moaning. However, once, I close the door and he doesn't hear me moving around the house, he just "gives up". But, that took way over a year. He used to "scream", like, a domestic cat, with, his tail caught, when, I used to shut the door. It seems to EVENTUALLY go away.

I NEED her to like that room more...

Why? You KNOW, you are causing her no harm and keeping her safe. So, really you are doing the right thing. Just PLEASE, try and remember that. Yes, they can make that very hard sometimes.

I feel terrible that she doesn't like it...

1) These cats, seem to be very sensitive, to our energy. Like, if, I am upset Loki goes bunkers. A happy bunkers, but, bonkers all the same.

2) You are doing this for her own good. So, just keep that in mind, PLEASE

But with my last cat dying from lymphoma

Serval's and F1's seem to be the one with lymphoma issues. Maybe now, some F2's. But, after that, is very very very rare in younger cats. I suspect, it is very very rare, even, in young F1's too. At least, from, what I can tell from working at and general dealings with hybrid catteries.

I'm terrified of something happening to this one of her either falling off the banister or choking on something or getting a blockage or all sorts of things that could potentially happen.. 

I can understand that. I am still, to this day, scared of the above. That is with, living with Loki, for, two years!

Yes I know I sound like a bad pet mom for keeping her caged in a room, but I mean well and I'm trying to make it better =(

I wouldn't feel so bad, it seems like, part of living with exotic cat hybrids. Again, that is just my humble opinion.

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@Cat Person - Thank you for your response my dear, I was hoping I would hear from you. Yeah I talked to some more cat friends in real life today and they made me feel slightly better as well. My dad was particularly hard on me yesterday saying "if you can't life with a cat sharing your life then you shouldn't have a cat, your not living with a cat your "owning" a cat by keeping it locked up in a cage even if it's a room it's still caged up" was pretty much what he said. We had like a 30 minute conversation on it and I left that conversation feeling really bad. 

Other than the first few days when I got her she meowed really loudly. Now for the most part she doesn't meow, even when I put her in her room. Usually when I'm putting her in there it's when I'm feeding her and so then she goes to her food and it's after play time so she's usually some what worn out if not worn down lol. Otherwise when I first come home from work she'll meow for me when I open the door and I can hear it in the stair well. Or when I first start moving around when I wake up in the morning. Usually I try to accommodate her quickly but if it takes like 20 minutes or so she'll usually quit meowing after like two minutes. In fact usually I wait for her to quit meowing because I think that if I go down there every time she meows loudly then she'll know that meowing loudly gets my attention, and thus she'll keep doing it - so I try not to go down there when she's meowing but go down there a little bit after she stops...

As I was thinking about this today I also realized that a lot of breeders keep there pets in cages outside (from what I've seen on youtube and such. Although those are the breeding animals and not actual house pets, but what Sabriel has is far better than that. Also when I went to the San Diego zoo I made it a point of searching out there Serval and although her cage was alright, I think that Sabriel has a far better room/area than that as well. That's just talking her living environment - that's not talking human interaction. 

Oh and PLEASE post pictures of toys that you have? Please nothing furry though, I found out with Neka that sometimes she would try to eat the fur stuff like feathers. I've noticed at times that Sabriel has a licking tendency with fabrics (my clothes, the couch, my skin, different surfaces) and so furry things may not be good.  Petco had the PERFECT cat toy earlier this year and last year but they discontinued it just because they are always changing things up, it was a cat kong toy and I think Sabriel would like it too but now I can't find it... I still have one in fairly good condition from Neka but I'm not going to have Sabriel play with it because I keep it as a sentimental thing from Neka... 

Thank you =)

kittymomofmany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe it would be better if she had a friend (another kitty) to help keep her company... My parents have a leopard cat named Nala...She is 17 now and still vocal as ever, but she calmed down CONSIDERABLY as a kitten when we got another cat to keep her company!

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe it would be better if she had a friend (another kitty) to help keep her company... My parents have a leopard cat named Nala...She is 17 now and still vocal as ever, but she calmed down CONSIDERABLY as a kitten when we got another cat to keep her company!
I was thinking about doing that when I first got Sabriel. However my vet advised against it, I had planned on getting a cat from the humane society because well I thought that way I would then be taking a cat that really needed a home as opposed to buying another expensive kitty. My vet said that our local humane society has had issues in it for years with URI and other issues and essentially told me that if I wanted to have health issues with my cat to get another cat from the humane society. I have a post that covered part of this before... Someone in my area suggested another play around here where you should be able to get really healthy cats, that they do checks for before adopting them out. But my vet also said that not all cats get along well. From reading the issues people have had on here with cats and other forums I'm thinking of keeping her as a single cat. So then I don't have to worry about them tearing each other to pieces if they don't get along, or worry about them getting along for a long time and then not getting along, or if.. well the list could go on and on there. I try to devote a lot of time to her for playing and attention... I'll have to be enough for her.. 

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By far, his favorite toy, is a dowel. I am not sure, if, you can see this, but, he does chew the ends. Loki, plays fetch with this, like a dog and a stick. 

View media item 138478
Human baby toy. He takes that into the shower or bath with him. Yes, I shower with a cat View media item 138479
Different shape, size, and texture balls. All, but, the smallest one, where, meant for people use.

View media item 138480
His favorite toy. He had that (different ones), till, he was two years old. One day, he randomly ate, all the elastic. So, now, Loki only gets that toy, under, close supervision.

View media item 138481
Another, favorite toy, that, is from a dollar store. He does NOT try and eat that one. At least, to date.

View media item 138482
His two favorite toys. Yes, I know, one, is a live cat. But, he both loves, Panda, my DLH as a "mother" and a toy. The DLH, despite, being terminally ill, has more control over Loki, then, I do
. The toy car, is, one designed for a toddler (human). It is easy to use. But, can handle, a Savannahs relentless rough play. Meaning, it can be dropped off furniture, flung, and dropped in the water pan.

Thank you =)

Very very welcome
A real Leopard cat? As in the small wild cat?

Not too many people who aren't breeders own ALC's.
I am thinking, she, means a captive breed exotic cat. As far as, owning, an ALC, it depends on the state you live in (I mean in the USA) and the subspecies. The ALC breeds very well and fairly easily in it's pure form. Plus, is the easiest F1 hybrid to create. Also, it seems, KittyMomOfMany, lives in Illinois. That, is still a state, that, it is fairly easy, to keep the smaller exotic cats and all the hybrids. Lastly, in the United States, a LOT of change (notice I do not say good or bad) has gone into, the keeping of exotic cats, in the past ten (10) years or less. So, it is very easy, to imagine, someone having a pure exotics, that, is now 17 years old in any state. Since, most owners, are "grandfathered" in. Meaning, they can keep the animals they have, BUT, can't get any new ones.

Some sites, for, you to look at, if, you wish:http://www.rexano.org//State_locator/DB_State_locator.html and http://www.felineconservation.org/programs_services/legislative_information.htm. Lastly, yes, these links can be seen in my signature, plus, many many more.
Yes, hybrids and pure exotics, do better with company. Both the cat(s) and the human are MUCH happier
. I would
to see picture's of your parents cat. Is it a pure Asian Leopard Cat (ALC) or an F1 hybrid? I am just curious. Since, the best hybrid, I ever owned, was, a retired higher percentage F1 Bengal. Her name was Taro. She was just the best cat EVER. I still, miss her to this day. She lived for about 15 years. I only had her, for, about the last five. But, she, was a GREAT cat.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as occupying her & keeping her busy, what about training her? Someone on here posted a video a while ago of one that was trained w/ a clicker. It would be good for her mentally.

Might be worth checking out. Just read your thread, & remembered that video. (I think it was posted by Nebula).

brandy-neka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As far as occupying her & keeping her busy, what about training her? Someone on here posted a video a while ago of one that was trained w/ a clicker. It would be good for her mentally.

Might be worth checking out. Just read your thread, & remembered that video. (I think it was posted by Nebula).
Yes I do plan on clicker training her but I couldn't give her treats for the first month because of the contract I signed with the breeder. Because of growing health and immune system I believe is the reason behind it. However that first month is almost over and I have read quite a bit about clicker training and watched some youtube videos of it. I first plan to try it on clicker training her to allow me to trim her claws. Then go from there. 

@Cat Person - thank you for the idea's! It's created more by looking at yours. 

--------------------------------------------

Also:

Sabriel was actually fetching tonight, before when I threw her toys for her she would just go "hunt" it and then drag it off elsewhere and play with it. Tonight when I threw it, she'd go get it at first she would do what she always did and then I just kept at it with throwing it for her instead of just letting her have fun with it on her own. Then she started taking it back to where I was and 
playing with it some and then I'd take it and she wouldn't put much of fight trying to keep it although sometimes she would jump after it. She didn't bite or scratch me tonight though. Anyway I kept throwing it and at times she would walk to me with it in her mouth and she would walk slow enough that I would take it out of her mouth and she would just let go. Then I'd pet her and she enjoyed that and through most of the play time she would rub against my legs. So she got into a habit of mostly bringing it by me and I would either get it out of her mouth or she would play with it for a bit on the ground and then just stop playing with it and just wait for me to take it. I'd pet her and show her affection and say "good girl" and throw it again. This went on for about 30 minutes. No joke. Near the end she got a bit more restless with mouse and so at times I would just let her play with it. She'd pounce on it and stalk it and everything. Overall a very good 30+ minute play time. If I can keep her interested in this game it should be a very good bonding time. 

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I do plan on clicker training her but I couldn't give her treats for the first month because of the contract I signed with the breeder. Because of growing health and immune system I believe is the reason behind it. However that first month is almost over and I have read quite a bit about clicker training and watched some youtube videos of it. I first plan to try it on clicker training her to allow me to trim her claws. Then go from there. 

@Cat Person - thank you for the idea's! It's created more by looking at yours. 

--------------------------------------------

Also:

Sabriel was actually fetching tonight, before when I threw her toys for her she would just go "hunt" it and then drag it off elsewhere and play with it. Tonight when I threw it, she'd go get it at first she would do what she always did and then I just kept at it with throwing it for her instead of just letting her have fun with it on her own. Then she started taking it back to where I was and 
playing with it some and then I'd take it and she wouldn't put much of fight trying to keep it although sometimes she would jump after it. She didn't bite or scratch me tonight though. Anyway I kept throwing it and at times she would walk to me with it in her mouth and she would walk slow enough that I would take it out of her mouth and she would just let go. Then I'd pet her and she enjoyed that and through most of the play time she would rub against my legs. So she got into a habit of mostly bringing it by me and I would either get it out of her mouth or she would play with it for a bit on the ground and then just stop playing with it and just wait for me to take it. I'd pet her and show her affection and say "good girl" and throw it again. This went on for about 30 minutes. No joke. Near the end she got a bit more restless with mouse and so at times I would just let her play with it. She'd pounce on it and stalk it and everything. Overall a very good 30+ minute play time. If I can keep her interested in this game it should be a very good bonding time.

That's great!!!

kittymomofmany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes!! She is a VERY COOL kitty! The breeders didn't wantmy mom to buy her bc she wasnt breeding her... it was really kind of odd. She promised to not have her fixed or declawed and they finally let her..they bought a maine coon to be her buddy :)

three cat night

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My house is designed with high ceilings and a open landing at the top of the stairs with a ledge, sounds like your place kind of. When I first moved here and my cats were tiny , I had the same worry of them falling . We had a handyman install a sheet of wood lattice ( any home store like home depot has it ) from the ledge to the ceiling and it was great, did not look too bad. Then as they got older we removed it and not one of them has even tried jumping up to that ledge, and I have a Turkish Van that is always on the move and gets into everything . Just a suggestion , as I know your new baby would be happier hanging out with you and exploring your home. Will she. Only get you to interact with when you go in her room? Speaking of toys, since her breed are major hunters try those small felt covered mice ( not fur ). That are made by Toy Store brands . They are made well and don't fall apart. My cats
Love them and also remember the girls game called "jacks" ? They come with a little super bounce ball
That is perfect. For endless chasing as it just keeps going and they can pick it up with their mouth. Also a very well made small ( just a little bit smaller than Sabriel ) like a tiger stuffed animal can really delight them and they can carry it around. Sorry my iPad is not taking photos. Good luck and keep us posted how things go.i

ambernicole

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think you're a bad cat mom at all!

You're just concerned for the well-being of your new baby.

Do you plan to eventually let the cat roam the house? Cat's typically have an amazing sense of balance. So as she gets older I would let her roam the house. For now, it seems like you're doing all you can with the toys, cat tree, and everything else that you've put in her "cat room". I know it killed me when I got my new "baby" and had to keep her in the bathroom while introducing her to my older cat. My advice would be to give her as much love and attention as possible when you're around her, and let her explore the house as she gets older. Instead of throwing a toy in the room to trick her into going in, I would pick her up, give her a kiss, and gently let her down. I'm sure she's starting to realize that you'll be back. Best of luck with the little one!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the room she is being kept in is only the size of a normal bedroom, then I think you definitely need to find some other solution to keep her safe. If I kept my domestic cat Grim locked in my bedroom all the time, he would dig up all the carpet and trash the room within a week.

Has Sabriel ever displayed symptoms of pica before? Even if her breed is predispositioned to it, I don't think she should be 'punished' for it, until she actually has it. Preventative measures are different, like making sure chewable items are picked up and put away, but I think you'd feel silly if you cooped her up her whole life, only for her to never actually get pica. :dk:
(Licking is fine btw, most cats lick their prey (or in this case, toys) My cat even rips the fur off his fake mice, but he does not eat it. Give her a chance at some, and then if you find them to be a problem, stop using them. :nod:)

I'm not quite sure I understand the point of not being able to give her treats for a month. If it is so you don't accidentally give her a treat that's unhealthy or poor quality, I *guess* I understand, but if the treats you were giving her were just actually small bites of her own food, or pieces of chicken, I can't possibly see how it could hurt...

I highly vote for the lattice idea. Basically just something to keep that whole area blocked off. You could still keep her in the room when you are asleep/at work, but then when you are home, you could have her out with you with less worry. :)

Like everyone said, you're not a bad cat mom at all, just worried for your baby's safety. :hugs:

Just my :2cts: btw :)

Last edited:

kittymomofmany

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nala is an f1 hybrid, she has always got into trouble...she knocks things off shelves, knocks food off the counter for the dogs if they are begging for it, she claws and chews on lots on lots of things...since she is older now, she is not quite as onry but when she was younger (my parents have always had lots of animals, right now they have Nala, Ally the maine coon, a domestic cat Casey and three yorkie dogs!)  she was VERY troublesome...my Mom never kept her secluded because she was afraid that Nala would not socialize well if she were forced to be alone part of the time...She was a full time job though haha...the whole house slowly became cat proofed...she was like no cat we had ever seen or experienced before that is for sure!  I will try to get some good pics of her this weekend when I am home :) 

@Brandy  I think blocking off that "danger" ledge area is a great idea!! Its worth a try :) Thanks for continuing to post, it brings back memories of when Nala was little haha and so was I !!  :)