If You Knew Then What You Know Now Re: Cat Care...

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of the problems is that people think that cats are independent: don't need anyone and love being out in the 'wild' where the fend for themselves. I suppose I had that thought until I got my first ever cat / kitten. I was always a dog person however can seriously say my dog when I was younger never followed me everywhere, slept at my feet and woke when the alarm went ; nor ran to the window to see me off to work every morning and the same every evening ! Gracie went and ran to the door yesterday to great my partner ... He opened the door a good couple of minutes later - I didnt even hear him walk down the path !
Mine greet us at the door shamelessly which is 100% different that I was misinformed about by just about everyone. That is one thing I learned that cats are not companion animals in the sense dogs are. They are your equals in many ways.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just because you went into the kitchen alone, and you haven't seen anyone come in, do not get tunnel vision and assume you are alone and go about your business. You will probably step on a cat or get your butter licked as you look away from that place on the counter.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just because you went into the kitchen alone, and you haven't seen anyone come in, do not get tunnel vision and assume you are alone and go about your business. You will probably step on a cat or get your butter licked as you look away from that place on the counter.
The butter isn't supposed to be licked ?

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever watched the show Animal Cops? They go and seize like 40 cats from hoarders, but they just end up putting them all to sleep. It breaks my heart, I had to stop watching it. I know 40 feral cats is a lot, and they don't have a lot of resources, but it seems like they don't even try to save them.
The issue isn't just numbers. Its years of neglect and many have serious health issues from living in unsanitary conditions and with cats that have contagious diseases.
One thing I have learned is that keeping your mouth shut doesn't ever make a situation better. I should have turned my in-laws, my SIL and my BIL in several decades ago rather than try and reason with them because they're family. I would have saved a whole lot of animals from suffering.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have learned many, many things through the years. But, the one thing that sticks out is my mom taking my cat to get her de-clawed. In my defense, I was only 9 years old and at that age I thought they could grow back. It was only a claw after all and my nails grow back.
Didn't realize it was amputation.
And no, since I've been grown, I have never done it to my cats...ever. And never will.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
  1. Seeing the difference between my first and second cats was an eye-opening experience. The first cat came into my life as an 11 year-old who had been fed very expensive dry food - the exact brand consistently recommended by his vet - since he was a kitten. I saw him through two urinary tract infections, when it was clear that he was in pain and suffering. After reading quite a bit about feline nutrition, I tried to transition him to wet food, but he succumbed to a liver problem before we got very far. I'm not sure if I could have done anything differently, but seeing my second (and now third) cat thrive on raw food makes me feel very guilty about the first. Both are long-haired. I thought hairballs and vomiting were a fact of life with a long-haired cat. Our vet, whom I find to be excellent otherwise, told me that they are to be expected, and I shouldn't worry. My second cat has vomited exactly once, when his stomach was upset by medication. He has never coughed up a hairball. His fur barely mats. All I do is brush him around the ears and ruff once a week or so. The first cat, whose coat was almost identical, had a very serious matting problem which I again thought was par for the course for a long-haired cat.
  2. Our second cat has FHV, and he gave it to our third cat. Polyprenyl immunostimulant came to the rescue. The second cat had flare-ups so severe that his eyes wouldn't open. They happened at the first sign of stress - every time we traveled, every time we had a dinner, party, and sometimes for no apparent reason. One course of Polyprenyl has reduced that to one very mild flare-up in the past several years. He didn't even show symptoms when we adopted another cat. Let's just say that he was not happy about that turn of events, so it was most definitely a stressful time. Our third cat got a round of Polyprenyl after a severe flareup that made it clear that she had contracted the FHV. The worst symptom we have seen since is an occasional sneeze.
  3. This one is the toughest, and I don't know if I will stick with my current decision of choosing euthanasia over major surgery. It is an entirely subjective opinion and not a judgment of anyone who chooses surgery for their cat. Only a caring and loving person would pay for surgery and put in the effort for nursing their cat back to health, so the last thing I want to do is criticize that choice. I am writing this only to answer the question posed in the thread about what I would do differently given what I know now. Our first cat had an enlarged liver. Our vet recommended surgery, but mentioned that he may not survive even with surgery. I asked what he would do if his cat was in the same situation. He said that the cost would be prohibitive, otherwise he would surely proceed with the surgery (which was very expensive and required travel to a different city). Despite the considerable expense, we proceeded with the surgery because I adored the cat and couldn't bear the thought of euthanizing him without trying every other alternative. The facility, surgeon, and staff were excellent, but I regretted my choice the minute I saw the cat after surgery. He was clearly miserable and terrified. We had two days of tube feeding, which he hated. I held him for almost every minute of those two days, but he died in my arms with no warning. I don't ever want to make an animal suffer like that again. Even though everything we did was in accordance with veterinary advice, I doubt that I can ever forgive myself for putting him through the surgery and the two days that followed.

TL;DR:
  1. Raw food has eliminated problems (vomiting, matting, urinary issues) that I had been unable to solve when I was feeding dry food.
  2. Polyprenyl has worked a miracle on two different FHV cats for me.
  3. Too complicated to summarize, and entirely subjective.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Silverpersian- I have never heard of Polyprenyl before. Is it only gotten by prescription from the vet? Is this something that you have to give every day? My cat has horrible eye herpes, he has to have lysine twice every single day. Very interesting...

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Euthanasia is still one of those things that I really can't say is right or wrong...
I've been taught life is something we have no right to take. I honestly think this is a difficult subject that perhaps doesn't have an answer.

I've only had one cat euthanized and I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like I still could have done something. Hector died naturally at home and I feel much more resolute about her than my euthanized one.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Euthanasia is still one of those things that I really can't say is right or wrong...
I've been taught life is something we have no right to take. I honestly think this is a difficult subject that perhaps doesn't have an answer.

I've only had one cat euthanized and I have mixed feelings about it. I feel like I still could have done something. Hector died naturally at home and I feel much more resolute about her than my euthanized one.
Euthanasia is a one on one decision. We had Kitten put to sleep when it became apparent there was no hope and the only thing another few days would garner was a lot of suffering for her.
I do think it something every couple should have even if it's the reflection in your mirror before you get there. They had already had trouble getting her to start breathing on her own after the feeding tube replacement. She was also fighting them tooth and nail over everything so all treatments were stressful. I was able to tube feed her at home but she would not allow strangers to handle her. I don't regret the weed on a feeding tube because at home she let me do that and she enjoyed hanging on a lower shelf getting a bit of sun. As torn up as we still are we would do the same thing for her.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1) I learned declawing was criminal (I had grown up with declawed cats.) Also training them has kittens prevents clawing issues. In retrospect I wish all cat trees did not have a shred of carpet on them since that sends kitty a mixed message (this carpet good that carpet bad.)
2) If I had a kitten now it would be getting wet food twice a day and if necessary very little dry food (can you say no chicken?!?)
3) Lastly if I had a kitten I would be taking that kitten every where, hold lots of parties and try to introduce the kitten to as many people as possible (who would give him/her treats and play with them.) My current cats only warmed up to my room mates after 4 months of extra treats from them ...... they still hide every time the little kids come over until the kids fall asleep.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've learned so much, and sure wish I could go back and undo my mistakes. My first two kitties Sammy and Garfield I had declawed. I was living in Atlanta at the time and actually took them to "The Cat Doctor" vet practice. You'd think they would know better. I was very ignorant about it and thought it only involved cutting the nail bed so it wouldn't regrow, which was bad enough. Well, I was horrified to learn the truth only after their surgery, when I saw their feet. Only the front ones were declawed but still... I would NEVER do that to an animal again, and haven't.

I've learned that throwing up furballs is NOT normal. Cats should pass them easily if they are fed the right diet.

Sam and Garf came from a breeder in Atlanta. They told me to only feed Iams dry food. So I did. It was full of grain and what not. They liked Fancy Feast canned food and started feeding them that daily as well, and just let them free feed on the Iams. Now I know to look at labels and to feed species appropriate food, which means no dry food, unless it's the freeze dried raw. I slowly got them off grain, but they were still getting higher carb than they should have. Again, I read labels now! No grain! And no fillers like potatoes, rice, and peas either. Diet does matter!

I also don't get cats from breeders anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are so many kitties who are homeless or at kill shelters that it makes better sense to rescue them from those places first before thinking about a pedigreed kitty who already has a nice home to live in while waiting for a forever home.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree with letting get used to your hands when they are young. Easier to brush fur and teeth ! I knew all cats are different but I did not realized how much til I had 4 female cats living with me! It took lots of studying and trial and error to figure out what works for each cat. Almost there but it might take an eternity to finally understand them

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. Polyprenyl is by prescription. Each cat got a two-week course, with two oral doses per day. I still keep them on 250 mg of lysine and 125 mg of lactoferrin per day.

You can find a lot of information at the manufacturer's web page:
VetImmune.com

I strongly recommend it. I couldn't bear to see our data miserable and lethargic and weepy-eyed. It has paid for itself (as of six months ago, $180 for the course) many times over, given that every severe outbreak required medication, and we often ended up at the vet.

I hope you are able to try it, and that it helps your cat.

Silverpersian- I have never heard of Polyprenyl before. Is it only gotten by prescription from the vet? Is this something that you have to give every day? My cat has horrible eye herpes, he has to have lysine twice every single day. Very interesting...

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Agreed, on all counts. Our first cat was a gift from a colleague who bred a few Persians each year, as a hobby. He was already declawed. I can't even imagine doing that to a cat.

One of our current cats was abandoned at our door. I dropped her off at the vet to be spayed, and in the meantime, found her a home. When I went to check on her before the spay operation, I found out that the new family had requested declawing on all four paws. We kept her to prevent that, despite the fact that our resident cat was clearly not the type who likes competition. Everyone in that family has an advanced degree, and they seem like lovely people otherwise. Declawing should be illegal, period, given that many people still don't know what it entails.

Our second cat came from a very caring and ethical breeder. Let's just say that the circumstances were extenuating, and an adoption would not have been possible in time. The story is too sad to share. I still feel guilty and am thankful that our volunteer kitty gave me a chance at redemption. I agree that it is much better to adopt from a shelter.

I've learned so much, and sure wish I could go back and undo my mistakes. My first two kitties Sammy and Garfield I had declawed. I was living in Atlanta at the time and actually took them to "The Cat Doctor" vet practice. You'd think they would know better. I was very ignorant about it and thought it only involved cutting the nail bed so it wouldn't regrow, which was bad enough. Well, I was horrified to learn the truth only after their surgery, when I saw their feet. Only the front ones were declawed but still... I would NEVER do that to an animal again, and haven't.

I've learned that throwing up furballs is NOT normal. Cats should pass them easily if they are fed the right diet.

Sam and Garf came from a breeder in Atlanta. They told me to only feed Iams dry food. So I did. It was full of grain and what not. They liked Fancy Feast canned food and started feeding them that daily as well, and just let them free feed on the Iams. Now I know to look at labels and to feed species appropriate food, which means no dry food, unless it's the freeze dried raw. I slowly got them off grain, but they were still getting higher carb than they should have. Again, I read labels now! No grain! And no fillers like potatoes, rice, and peas either. Diet does matter!

I also don't get cats from breeders anymore. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there are so many kitties who are homeless or at kill shelters that it makes better sense to rescue them from those places first before thinking about a pedigreed kitty who already has a nice home to live in while waiting for a forever home.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope I didn't imply anything to the contrary, because I absolutely agree that euthanasia is a very personal decision that needs to be made on a case-by-case basis.

I can't imagine judging anyone for deciding for or against it. I don't even know if I can stick to my current decision of not pursuing invasive treatment if the time comes.

I have no doubt that I would feel just as, if not more guilty than I do now if we hadn't gone ahead with the surgery.

Euthanasia is a one on one decision. We had Kitten put to sleep when it became apparent there was no hope and the only thing another few days would garner was a lot of suffering for her.
I do think it something every couple should have even if it's the reflection in your mirror before you get there. They had already had trouble getting her to start breathing on her own after the feeding tube replacement. She was also fighting them tooth and nail over everything so all treatments were stressful. I was able to tube feed her at home but she would not allow strangers to handle her. I don't regret the weed on a feeding tube because at home she let me do that and she enjoyed hanging on a lower shelf getting a bit of sun. As torn up as we still are we would do the same thing for her.

silverpersian

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree and would never judge anyone for deciding for or against euthanasia. I am second-guessing my own decision against it. Hindsight is always 20/20.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agree about the euthanasia. I've always had trouble with it, but I do agree that there are some instances where it is absolutely called for. I've only done this once and am still haunted by it. For me, it was a money issue, and that still makes me angry and sad that it came down to that. I also fault go fund me for not putting my plight on their front page because I didn't have $500 worth of donations yet. How absurd, when Dylan Roof's sister raised money to fund her wedding. Even if I did get all the money I needed to properly diagnose Gracie, would it have made a difference? The truth is I will never know, and that's what haunts me.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
Euthanasia is a case by case situation for pet owners. ginny ginny I have said several times that we could have spent another 3K on Kitten and still lost her. Most likely during exploratory surgery. We would have happily spent 10,000 if there was even a reasonable chance she would recover and live a decent life.
Learning when to let a pet go is one of the hardest lessons I've ever learned.
My grandmother died in the hospital begging for them to stop treating her. Nothing cut the pain. I think that's a lesson we can carry over to our pets who can't speak.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The biggest and saddest thing I learned is that there is a difference between predisone and PREDNISOLONE. We know this now. We did not know this 20 years ago when I had an asthmatic cat.

I also only feed canned food. Dry food is a convenience for the owners. The teeth issue has been disproved; in fact, dry food contributes more to tartar than canned. Most of all, I have learned to trust my instincts when it comes to the health and well being of my cats.

I would also like to say that I think a well done euthansia is a final act of caring to spare suffering. That said, I also feel it should be an option for us humans, but that is another discussion.

What we know about cats' nutritional needs is growing and changing. 20 years ago there was mostly dry food and Hills. Now we know a lot more and there are many more options. I dont know about the vet school curriculum now, but I have been told that years ago, vet students got about an hour of class time on feline nutrition.

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
The biggest and saddest thing I learned is that there is a difference between predisone and PREDNISOLONE. We know this now. We did not know this 20 years ago when I had an asthmatic cat.

I also only feed canned food. Dry food is a convenience for the owners. The teeth issue has been disproved; in fact, dry food contributes more to tartar than canned. Most of all, I have learned to trust my instincts when it comes to the health and well being of my cats.

I would also like to say that I think a well done euthansia is a final act of caring to spare suffering. That said, I also feel it should be an option for us humans, but that is another discussion.

Yes and we all need our veterinarians to take us seriously when we say something is wrong.

What we know about cats' nutritional needs is growing and changing. 20 years ago there was mostly dry food and Hills. Now we know a lot more and there are many more options. I dont know about the vet school curriculum now, but I have been told that years ago, vet students got about an hour of class time on feline nutrition.