If You Knew Then What You Know Now Re: Cat Care...

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The most important thing I ever learnt is don't let cats roam around outside on their own. I grew up in the UK and the cats we had when I was a kid were always allowed to come and go as they please. It's just not safe enough to let them do that any more. I found that out the hard way.

:frown:

Another valuable lesson was if you move into an area where there are a lot of stray or feral cats around start doing TNR now.

Don't wait for the neighbors to do anything. (They won't). Don't think the cats are fine as they are. (They aren't) Don't think you'll be able to turn your back on cats or kittens in need. (You can't)

And never underestimate how soon those kittens can start producing kittens of their own.

:hellocat:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have learned a lot of things over the years of having cats. The one that stands out most in my mind is, "Never try to figure them out." They are unique and what works for one cat might not work for the next.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I learned that it's a lot easier to train kittens to be okay with baths, claw trimming, and toothbrushing than to try and convince an older cat that those things aren't torture sessions. Also, never ever play with hands so cats learn that hands = petting and chin scritches, not toys to be clawed at.
Or bare legs and feet when walking by your cat who is lying on the floor immediately following a play session.;) After the play session and I am walking by her, I am ready to firmly say "NO" to her as I walk by her and see her reaching out for my ankle because she is still in that excited "play mood".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The most important thing I ever learnt is don't let cats roam around outside on their own. I grew up in the UK and the cats we had when I was a kid were always allowed to come and go as they please. It's just not safe enough to let them do that any more. I found that out the hard way.

:frown:

Another valuable lesson was if you move into an area where there are a lot of stray or feral cats around start doing TNR now.

Don't wait for the neighbors to do anything. (They won't). Don't think the cats are fine as they are. (They aren't) Don't think you'll be able to turn your back on cats or kittens in need. (You can't)

And never underestimate how soon those kittens can start producing kittens of their own.

:hellocat:
I'm so terribly sorry about your experience. *hugs*

Sometimes I wish our cats could have an opportunity to enjoy the great outdoors. However, in our neighborhood, it just isn't an option.

And that's very good advice about ferals. Sadly, many people just assume it's always someone else's problem. :(

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! I can sympathize since that's my lesson too. My current kitties are indoor only.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have learned a lot of things over the years of having cats. The one that stands out most in my mind is, "Never try to figure them out." They are unique and what works for one cat might not work for the next.
That's so true! Cats are as different as snowflakes. Some, like mine, are just flakier than others. ;-)

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or bare legs and feet when walking by your cat who is lying on the floor immediately following a play session.;) After the play session and I am walking by her, I am ready to firmly say "NO" to her as I walk by her and see her reaching out for my ankle because she is still in that excited "play mood".
I find it so much easier to be alert to that sort of thing when a play session is winding down. It's those unexpected ninja attacks that still startle the crap out of me. :wink:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we don't have an animal shelter for our town only option is animal control who I found doesn't even evaluate ferals for adoption they just kill them without even giving them a chance to tame sometimes even the same day. I also think they still use gas chambers instead of needles because it's cheaper. Holocaust for cats.... Yuck.

Here TNR is non existent most people are 3S's (shoot, shovel, shut up). Unfortunately people from the big cities don't help the problem and dump cats who for whatever reason are unwanted on the streets. That's how poor sick Snuffles wound up living in our shed. Someone dumped her because she was sick. Poor thing had to be euthanized because she was in septic shock.

Honestly people make me sick sometimes.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here we don't have an animal shelter for our town only option is animal control who I found doesn't even evaluate ferals for adoption they just kill them without even giving them a chance to tame sometimes even the same day. I also think they still use gas chambers instead of needles because it's cheaper. Holocaust for cats.... Yuck.

Here TNR is non existent most people are 3S's (shoot, shovel, shut up). Unfortunately people from the big cities don't help the problem and dump cats who for whatever reason are unwanted on the streets. That's how poor sick Snuffles wound up living in our shed. Someone dumped her because she was sick. Poor thing had to be euthanized because she was in septic shock.

Oh, noes! How horrible!

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm pretty sure our local AC only puts a cat up for adoption to make it look like they care. I was told that if I took Tera there and she acted even a little bit wild they'd kill her and her babies. It's horrible because the tamest housecat can freak out. They won't even bottle feed an orphan kitten but they're always rehoming dogs with behavior issues.
Yes everyone in the country needs and wants 20 dogs 50 cats and in my case a box of banty roosters. I also learned that despite free help some people insist that fixing their animals is wrong and so is keeping them confined or in a fenced yard.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one of the problems is that people think that cats are independent: don't need anyone and love being out in the 'wild' where the fend for themselves. I suppose I had that thought until I got my first ever cat / kitten. I was always a dog person however can seriously say my dog when I was younger never followed me everywhere, slept at my feet and woke when the alarm went ; nor ran to the window to see me off to work every morning and the same every evening ! Gracie went and ran to the door yesterday to great my partner ... He opened the door a good couple of minutes later - I didnt even hear him walk down the path !

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever watched the show Animal Cops? They go and seize like 40 cats from hoarders, but they just end up putting them all to sleep. It breaks my heart, I had to stop watching it. I know 40 feral cats is a lot, and they don't have a lot of resources, but it seems like they don't even try to save them.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't get how anyone could see a cat with septic pneumonia as independent. Pneumonia is a pretty scary illness it's even known to kill people who get it. I just don't get how people can be so heartless.

I've seen many cats hit by cars too. I don't think I can get the picture of a dumped cat with a festering fly blown dislocated shoulder out of my head. I saw him living in a covered shopping cart corral at the grocery store. I bought him a fancy feast and he inhaled the whole thing. I gently gauzed his wound and picked the maggots out. I could tell someone had dumped in the parking lot him by how he was tame. He probably got hit in the parking lot by someone backing up. He died from his injury sadly.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't get it ! I know we are off topic however I don't ! I couldn't imagine moving home and thinking I'll leave gracie here she will be ok . She's our fur baby .

amysuen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Only feed wet food, without carbs and fruits/veggies. Feed scheduled meals and play with them beforehand. Adopt kittens in pairs (or more!). Make the spaying appointment for BEFORE she goes into heat. (Related: THAT'S what going into heat looks like, it's not a fatal injury or illness) :eek2:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Beyond how much work kittens can be, I leaned about inflatable cones after my cat was spayed. While my cat hated her inflatable cone, she hated it only a tiny bit compared to her "e-cone", so I'd always be sure to have one on hand should my cat (or any future cat) ever need surgery again.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My Kabby taught me not to waste money on fancy cones. He popped his inflatable one by biting the valve off plus he could still reach his balls. Clear plastic cone works wonders.