If you had to do it over: lessons learned

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I put my soul kitty to sleep almost 2 months ago. I'm still heartbroken, and know he will never be replaced, but am starting to think about what adopting a new friend would look like and what I would do differently.

So far I would:
  1. Socialize the crap out of my new friend so that traveling, people coming over, going to the vet would be easier
  2. Starting a wet food diet from day #1
  3. Signing up for pet insurance
What would you do differently?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Keep the cat indoors, Do not trust a vet. Research all things, keep an open mind. Make your own fund for your cats' heath.
Most importantly, do not keep a cat alive for yourself. They may need that final decision. Always feed wet food. Play time daily.

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't recall with which cat I learned these lessons:
Getting them used to having my fingers in their mouth to (hopefully) make giving medication easier.
Leaving the carrier out all the time

One thing I did do early on was feed a wide variety of canned food.
The mouth thing is an excellent idea, so you can brush them teeth.

shebaa

Queen of Sheba
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Socialize the crap out of my new friend so that traveling, people coming over, going to the vet would be easier
This...
This is why i put my cat down almost 2 years ago. She had behavior problems and it kept getting worse, but still a good cat for the most part. but her episodes got more random and more aggressively. Vet didn't think Prozac would have helped. So I made the decision to put her down. I have so many what ifs and regrets. Like not getting her help she needed sooner. Making sure so she got interactions with other people other than myself then maybe she would still be here. Or even just trying prozac at the end, then I would know if it worked or not.
Take time to grieve. Do not rush into adopting. Another regret I have. I was so lonely I adopted a pair of cats less than 1 week later. I ended up rehoming them cause it did not feel right. They were sweet and cute but wasn't fair to them or me. Luckily they went into a awesome family who sends me updates every now and then. They are being spoiled! Right after the rehoming I started fostering so that way I have cats but no rush into adopting one. I adopted one 7 months after my cat passed. And now I have 2!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This...
This is why i put my cat down almost 2 years ago. She had behavior problems and it kept getting worse, but still a good cat for the most part. but her episodes got more random and more aggressively. Vet didn't think Prozac would have helped. So I made the decision to put her down. I have so many what ifs and regrets. Like not getting her help she needed sooner. Making sure so she got interactions with other people other than myself then maybe she would still be here. Or even just trying prozac at the end, then I would know if it worked or not.
Take time to grieve. Do not rush into adopting. Another regret I have. I was so lonely I adopted a pair of cats less than 1 week later. I ended up rehoming them cause it did not feel right. They were sweet and cute but wasn't fair to them or me. Luckily they went into a awesome family who sends me updates every now and then. They are being spoiled! Right after the rehoming I started fostering so that way I have cats but no rush into adopting one. I adopted one 7 months after my cat passed. And now I have 2!
I am SO sorry you feel some regret about your decisions, but please don't. You did what was right for everyone in the moment.

I am definitely taking time to grieve. I promised myself 6-12 months before I adopt a new kiddo. I love that you fostered first. I think that's a great idea and I've been thinking about it myself.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What would you do differently?
From my experiences with my previous two cats:
-The best quality food on the market, wet and dry, since day one.
-Researches on all diseases and treatments, do not trust the vet blindly.

From my experience with my current two cats:
-Most likely nothing
I applied the above to them since day one, they are close to perfect. They love each other. They walk into their carriers no problem (they go inside them on their own, and purr or sleep once in). They are extremely sweet at the vets'. They let me trim their nails, brush their coat, brush their teeth, all while purring. They do not dart out the door when I open it, they just stay where they are, and in the case they get closer to the door, calling them is enough to have them walk back at once. They became leash trained since the first time I had them wear their harness.
They are friends with other cats who walk into our yard, always curious to make new friends (apart from the cat next door! I don't know why).
They aren't much social with other people, guests, neighbors, but I don't mind, as a matter of fact I'd rather prefer a cat who doesn't make friend with the first person they see.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Why did you (and others) say not to trust vets? Curious!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
- Go to a Cat only vet sooner, the money I save from the right diagnosis the first time is best, and they know follow ups are necessary so those cost less

- If I know something's not right, INSIST on tests. Print the VCA recommendations and take them with me if I had to go to an all-aninal vet

- not fuss over the damned food so much and save that money for the vet visits

- Pet insurance right away, cause that $22 per month policy is worth it

- more enrichment right away

- brush their teeth a few times a week and really encourage them to bite and such with toys

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe we should have said "do not put your complete trust on your vet" because they can make mistakes, they could misinterpret some symptoms, they could misdiagnose a condition and subsequently give the cat a wrong therapy.
Always have an open mind and do your own research, talk to others.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Some vets, are not as familiar with cat medical issues as they think. They look at cats through a dog lens, or don't know the subtle signs of illness. For example, I brought Nobel to emergency with a FLUTD flare up (blood in urine), and they vet said, "Nothings wrong with him, what do you want me to do?" If I hadn't been experienced I wouldn't have brought my cell with a photo of the urine and he wouldn't have give medication and it's quite likely I would have been back in emergency with him needing a stint and an overnight stay within a few hours to a few days.

I also had to have my late cat Lily p.t.s. because she had an ear infection that they let get out of control, first saying it was acute ataxia and allowing it to worsen; then not prescribing the medication for two weeks after symptoms are gone as the VCA recommends for cat ear infections, which are more serious than dog ones. Next, at a cat-only vet they would have known that fungal infections might not show on a slide after a swab because they can be deeply internal. So a cat vet would have likely said that when we switched from the antibiotic-antifungal combination that was working to a basic antibiotic and that didn't work, we would have returned to an antifungal.

By the time I went to a cat-vet, it was too late and she had an infection in her brain.

That other vet was great for pocket pets, and many people like him for dogs. But I would never recommend for cats.

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! Where do you live?! Ataxia is often an ear problem - you need Judge Judy! The fungal thing... well... not as 'easy', but still!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow! Where do you live?! Ataxia is often an ear problem - you need Judge Judy! The fungal thing... well... not as 'easy', but still!
I live in a large city in Ontario, Canada.

My family had beagles before. I could tell it was an ear infection from the smell and booked the appointment as such. I didn't know cat ear infections were urgent, and the receptionist booked me for two days later. They sent us home and that night the ataxia started. We got her medication the next morning.

Our current vet would have known it was an emergency, they even judge a different level or urgency if you call for an issue on Friday, rather than Saturday (closed Sunday), so you can hopefully avoid emergency vet. I think this is a proper way to operate; the emergency rooms are there for things that pop up when your vet is closed.

Contrary, the vet within walking distance was awful and told me Nobel was going to die immediately because I couldn't spend $3000 on him on his second FLUTD flare. I carted him to the next city over, my first city vet, and they fixed him up for less than $500, including a half day observation. My first city vet was great. Loved them.

My vet in the country had a student tech who cut Nobel's nail too short and they bled (no reason, he would sit still in anyone's lap for it, clear nails. My mum would tech people on Nobel), and I had a note that they should have me do his nails before coming in if they deemed it necessary. Since then, Nobel has been deemed "Warning" at every vet, until my current one. I warned them before his surgery and the tech said, "Oh there's no note of him being a difficult or grumpy cat and he's been very affectionate all day." 🤷‍♀️ There was a student veterinarian for a few months at the "bad" vet above who was good with him. She used to bring him into the office while we waited for our appointment to keep him low stress and she said he was pleasant company.

Many many regrets.....but my new boys reap the benefits of those lessons and I try to take comfort in that. Nobel leads a good life now, but his body shows the effects of that before time and I try not to let that make me sad because you can't know what you don't know!

lucyrima

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm now in Maritimes, but grew up in Mtl (with a Scottie and more) and lived in T.O. til late '90's. Had good vets, plus an 'eye' one. Are you there, or ?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Contrary, the vet within walking distance was awful and told me Nobel was going to die immediately because I couldn't spend $3000 on him on his second FLUTD flare. I carted him to the next city over, my first city vet, and they fixed him up for less than $500, including a half day observation.
~ This is very common where I live . ( Los Angeles ) :sigh: