If You Choose To Feed Grocery Store Brands, Which Have You Had Success With?

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is so much info about the best foods available per ingredient but then for various reasons whether budget, kitty refusal, availability, and health issues, etc, many people feed grocery store foods. I even read of some people saying their pets did better on those “bad” foods. I had a dog once that actually did best on the mainstream “bad” foods and that made me look at pet food differently and I’m now a feed what works for that pet and is in your budget person.

Which grocery store brands do you feed that keep your pet thriving? I’m still figuring this out for my kitten. He was raised on Royal Canin kitten dry and I’m trying to switch to a wet diet with dry as supplemental so I’m still in the testing mode to see what works for my cat.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had to figure this out ourselves since I am going back to school and we have to cut some corners with how much we spend on the cat's food.
I found out that ours love the Tractor Supply brand 4Health. Emerson is very picky about anything canned so I was relieved to find it, and I really like the ingredients. It's $0.69/can.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friskies or Fancy Feast pate for wet food.
We don't feed dry on a regular basis but do keep some on hand for emergency use. We have Purina Beyond chicken & egg.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies pate wet food.

Purina ONE or Purina Beyond dry food.

I've had more success with Purina brands than other cheap or mid-priced foods.
I know people with cats that feed Purina Beyond and even Purina Cat chow and have healthy long lived cats.
Our IBD cat is doing good on Fancy Feast Classic pates. Queen Bee will have some later as she's under the weather.
I've heard good things about a lot of brands, but if I tried another grocery brand I'd probably try Purina Beyond.
(Our barn cats are fed Purina dry, with some canned food and leave us lovely gifts on hay bales in return, like rabbit feet (they're lucky I guess...? :barf:), mouse heads, tails, and guts, and once I found a tooth-pierced dead vole in the food dish. So thoughtful...)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy Fancy Feast Classic and Gravy Lovers. Mingo has had crystals, so I use the Gravy Lovers to mix more water in. He laps it up. I also feed both of them Iams dry for indoor cats, and have used Beyond and Purina One in the past. Lily gets Sheba pate for dinner and sometimes Mingo does when he is throwing up. It seems to soothe his stomach. Mingo also throws up any kind of fish, so the selection is limited to poultry and liver mixes.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sheba cuts in gravy in Chicken and Turkey. That's the only grocery store one I might pick up besides Meow Mix Simple Servings with chicken and turkey shreds in gravy.
I usually give them Nature's Variety Instinct Chicken pate, among a bunch of other stuff, and I keep Dr Elsey's cleanprotein chicken kibble on order.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, Fancy Feast Classics Pate and Friskies Pate. Here's my list:

Fancy Feast Pate:
Chicken Feast Classic Pate
Turkey & Giblets Feast Classic Pate
Chopped Grill Feast Classic Pate
Tender Beef Feast Classic Pate
Tender Beef & Chicken Feast Classic Pate
Tender Beef & Liver Feast Classic Pate
Tender Liver & Chicken Feast Classic Pate

Friskies Pate:
Liver & Chicken Dinner
Turkey & Giblets Dinner
Poultry Platter
Mixed Grill
Country Style Dinner

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Same here, Fancy Feast Classics Pate and Friskies Pate. Here's my list:

Fancy Feast Pate:
Chicken Feast Classic Pate
Turkey & Giblets Feast Classic Pate
Chopped Grill Feast Classic Pate
Tender Beef Feast Classic Pate
Tender Beef & Chicken Feast Classic Pate
Tender Beef & Liver Feast Classic Pate
Tender Liver & Chicken Feast Classic Pate

Friskies Pate:
Liver & Chicken Dinner
Turkey & Giblets Dinner
Poultry Platter
Mixed Grill
Country Style Dinner
Ours votes for liver and chicken. He's such a little turd. :redheartpump:
I gave Queen Bee her nightly chicken chunks and half Fancy Feast laced with L-Lysine.
She ate the chicken, inspected the laced FF, jumped down, left eye water everywhere, sneezed on my shoes, then hopped up and ate the laced FF.
That's my Always Suspicious Queenie. :clap:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried putting hot water in their pate this morning and they refused to eat it! That would have been a great way to get more water into them. :sigh:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xenathecrazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I count myself lucky that my kitten doesn't mind an extra tablespoon or so of water added to his wet food.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a special way to add the water? 'Cause I ran the tap water hot, then mixed a teaspoon in the pate with a spoon. They refused to eat it!
I usually just stick a dish under the little spout for the water filter and mix it in. The water's room temperature. I vary the amount of water depending on how moist/dryish the food is, so anywhere from a teaspoon to a tablespoon per serving.

I wonder if maybe your cats like to bit at the edges of a chunk of food that's been unmolded (as it were, you know, like Jello!) from the can. Our previous cat loved to gnaw at the edges of her food like that, though the two we have now like to lap it more.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Fancy Feast gravy lovers, grilled and creamy delights.
For kibble I used Purina One true instincts until the store quit carrying the chicken so I'm currently switching to Purina Beyond.
Even with my horses I've always had good luck with Purina products.

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Amelia loves Abound (the Kroger brand of wet food). It's not super great food, but it's not terrible either, and I give her some each week to help offset the cost of her more expensive food. She usually eats fancy feast these days too, if I offer it to her.