Ideas For Possible Anemia?

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Im thinking Shonzee is actually anemic and that it didn't just come from his sickness. I've realized even though his gums are pink again without yellow, they're a bit pale, not completely but a bit.
Since he has started eating on his own again, we've started Fussy Cat chicken and Salmon.
Fussie Cat

So its been about 2 weeks since he has started that. Im not sure how long it would take for him to completely absorb what he would need but the vet wants to wait another 2 weeks yet before redoing his panel to decide if he is still anemic.

Obviously I could be exaggerating on his gums, and he could be perfectly fine. Im just worried because we have come so far.

If he is anemic, beyond changing food for the 3 kitties again, is there anything else I can do?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i wouldn't not try to treat him for anemia unless the vet test show that he is, and then the vet may prescribe meds. Meat is a good source of iron, as is liver. I feed several different wet foods, one of them is fussie cat, chicken with liver. I do like to feed foods with liver often and the cats seem to like it too :)

Fussie Cat Super Premium Chicken with Chicken Liver Formula in Pumpkin Soup Grain-Free Canned Cat Food, 2.8-oz, case of 24

I also like to feed Tiki cat after dark, my guys like the chicken, and the chicken and beef. It has organ meat, and Iron Amino Acid Chelate which may be a bit more useful as it is a chelate?

Tiki Cat After Dark Chicken & Beef Canned Cat Food

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done a blood test with iron checked?
Or, what does your test say about hemoglobine, red cells?

If your vet suggests you to supplement iron in pills, make sure they are pills with added vitamin C and keep in mind that improving is slow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindzee2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you done a blood test with iron checked?
Or, what does your test say about hemoglobine, red cells?

If your vet suggests you to supplement iron in pills, make sure they are pills with added vitamin C and keep in mind that improving is slow.
Thank you everyone!

They did a bunch of tests when he was really sick, he had severe Jaundice which caused fatter liver and it was accompanied by anemia. We are over the jaundice hurdle and his liver values are returning to normal. He is eating and drinking just fine yet, however I am worried he still may be anemic. We are going to retest his iron levels in a few weeks. Im not sure how long it takes for iron levels to return to normal, Im worried they wont.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't think they won't.
With a proper therapy and a lot of patience everything will be back to normal.
How long it will take depends on how his body reacts to the supplements, his age and the proper dosage of the supplements.
My cat started showing a good improvement after the first two months... unfortunately something else stpped her from getting better, she left me and went to the Bridge...