Ideal Age To Neuter?

Antarcticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!
First and foremost I'm sure this is a fairly recurring topic so I apologize if this thread isn't redundant; didn't see one to participate in on the first few pages.

I have a 4.5 month old male kitten with a LOT of energy! I know that sooner or later he'll need to be neutered, but I wanted to get some opinions on when people feel the best age to get this done might be.

I appreciate that there's some folks, especially fellow Americans, who'll say that the best time to get a cat fixed is "immediately" and I certainly appreciate the reasons for that answer. At the same time, I recall one study in particular out of UC Davis a few years ago that indicated that some fixed pets, especially those who were fixed early, were more several times more likely than their intact peers to develop certain disorders like hip dysplasia later in life.

There's an added later in the fact that my kitten's a Savannah-Bengal mix, and I know both of these breeds are prone to certain age-related health disorders AND difficult-to-accommodate mating habits like heavy spraying. I'd like to avoid both of these as much as possible and am curious if anyone has an opinion on like an "optimal timeframe" to get the procedure done. Thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats aren't dogs. There do seem to be some drawbacks to neutering a dog, especially a large dog, before full sexual maturity. But no studies with cats have shown any drawbacks to neutering early. The current recommendation among vet associations is "by 5 months". But if you want to wait a little longer for some reason, most males don't start spraying until 8 months so you could probably safely wait another month or 2.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 6 months is a good age, but some do it younger. I would do it before 9 months, for some reason we waited until my cats were 9 months old when I was a kid, and the brother got his sister pregnant. For some reason my parents thought 9 months was the right age, but it was too late!

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a very controversial topic. As I know, especially in America early spaying and neutering is common. However, in Europe it is done at a later age and in Scandinavian countries it is even considered against animal rights.
I personally believe and choose not to spay/neuter a cat early, because sex hormones play important role on general health. Their function is not only reproducing.
For that reason our vet advise spaying/neutering after 7 months old.
Our female cat is spayed at 9 months old, by ovary sparing spay method.
Our male cat was not neutered until 1,5 years old.

Here is a link for a holistic wiev about early spaying/neutering and its general health effects;
Health Issues Linked to Spaying and Neutering Dogs

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In part, it depends upon their ancestry as well. Persians and similar brachycephalic breeds should be neutered later, owed to the difficulty in giving anesthesia to animals with restricted airways. Cats with wild heritage - Bengals, Savannahs and cetera - are often neutered much earlier, because hormones play so large a rôle in the development of their temperament (a nice way of saying that the earlier an hybrid cat is neutered, the less likely it is that he'll be a sprayer later in Life).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antarcticat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats with wild heritage - Bengals, Savannahs and cetera - are often neutered much earlier, because hormones play so large a rôle in the development of their temperament (a nice way of saying that the earlier an hybrid cat is neutered, the less likely it is that he'll be a sprayer later in Life).
That's exactly the detail I was looking for. Thanks as always for the input and resources, all! :biggrin:

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Timing also, of course, depends on whether your cat is an only cat and indoor only. Cats are able to get pregnant as early as 4 months.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our female cat is spayed at 9 months old, by ovary sparing spay method.
Our male cat was not neutered until 1,5 years old.
I've heard that these practices are common in other countries. I have a few questions---doing an ovary-sparing spay on a cat, isn't she in heat all the time? Doesn't it drive you crazy? I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with that. A dog, sure, since they're only in heat twice a year, but not a cat!

Don't the males start spraying before 18 months? Does the vet give them hormones or something to stop it?

Also, do you think this practice leads to more accidental litters, or does it seem like people in your country are more responsible?

nese

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've heard that these practices are common in other countries. I have a few questions---doing an ovary-sparing spay on a cat, isn't she in heat all the time? Doesn't it drive you crazy? I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with that. A dog, sure, since they're only in heat twice a year, but not a cat!

Don't the males start spraying before 18 months? Does the vet give them hormones or something to stop it?

Also, do you think this practice leads to more accidental litters, or does it seem like people in your country are more responsible?

Actually this practice is not common in our country, too. I had reasons to choose this method.
Our male cat was a very calm cat who never sprayed, never attemped to run away from home and was strictly indoor. I simply had no reason to neuter him. Unfortunately we have lost him at the age of 1,5. I will never know if he would spray later. But of course if he sprayed I wouldn't have any other choice than neutering him.

Most of the male cats start spraying before 18 months. Very few of them never spray. I have friend whose male cat is 4 years old, always indoors, have never seen a female cat in his life and never sprayed, but this is a rare situtation.

Our female cat is not always in heat. She went into heat in every two months approximately, during spring-summer season (breeding season). And when she is in heat it is not so terrible, we play with her more than usual, so that she gets tired, calms down and sleeps. She also calms down when she sits on my lap and I pet her. Also there is a technique called accupressure to calm down a female cat in heat. Her heat lasts about 4-5 days.

Of course these are very much dependent on cats personality and your living conditions. If you have multiple cats these will not work, and for cats who are both indoor and outdoor it will also not work.
I can only recommend this method to very responsible cat owners who has one or two cats that have sweet-tempered personality and always indoors.

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a similar dilema and I thought it would be better not to start another thread.
I personally believe and choose not to spay/neuter a cat early, because sex hormones play important role on general health.
My male cat was 13 months when I had him neutered, because I heard about multiple health problems later in life due to biologically unnatural development. He never sprayed. I have a patio and sometimes he does go out on the street, but never for a long period, he prefers the indoors.

A feral had a litter in the forest behind this man's house, he took care of the kittens as long as he could, but I took one in at 5 weeks old, and according to him she we'll be two months september 27th. She is a female and since she can get in contact with street cats I was wondering whether I should have her spayed before one year old.
I would like to hear from people who have healthy 15-year-old cats who were spayed before 8 or 9 months of age if there are any.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will definitely get pregnant if she's going outside when she starts going into heat around 5 or 6 months old.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because she is feral and outside, she is not likely to live to 15 regardless. It would be a great kindness to have her spayed as soon as possible. Otherwise, she will continue to have litter after litter.

Edit: Sorry, completely misread your question. The above advice applies to the ferals outside.

As for your kitten, she needs to be either spayed or allowed outside. There is not an alternative. It's far worse for her to get pregnant at a young age. I am not aware of any consequences to early spaying.

Last edited:

FelinskiFamily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.
She probably will get pregnant. Julio (my older cat) keeps the street cats away from our patio (backyard, I am not sure), but cats can definitely jump over the wall, even for a minute and impregnate the kitten as soon as January or February as she will be 6 months then. They are both indoor cats, but Julio does chill in the patio sometimes and I am sure shortly so will she.
So I am thinking about what's best for her as she is the sweetest, cutest, most adorable thing ever (as all cats are) will she get to be a healthy old lady if I have her spayed early on and stop her hormonal development? I understand cats reach maturity at one year old. I don't know anyone with older cats, so if there are people with old cats who were neutered/spayed very young I would very much appreciate a reassurance.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are absolutely sure that she won't get outside or near a male cat, then you can wait until her first heat at 5 or 6 months old. But cats are escape artists.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You don't want her to get pregnant. Kittens are hard to find homes for and you could end up keeping all of them, or they'll end up dead. If she is able to get to unneutered males, have her spayed as soon as possible. The potential health problems from pregnancy are much more of a risk than any potential side effects of spaying young (and no bad side effects of early spay have been identified in cats. Large dogs, yes, not cats).

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are no consequences to her development if you spay. There are serious risks to her health if you don't. All of my family cats have lived to at least 14 with early spays.

Doing the early spay is how you protect her health. A kitten, also, has no business having kittens, and you cannot prevent her from meeting males.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My previous cat was spayed at 4 months (she came from a shelter) and lived to be nearly 19 years old. She was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease at 16, but other than that disease and the complications that arose from it she was always a healthy cat. She was a small cat, though, with her highest weight being 7lbs as an adult. I would think her small size to be more likely attributed to genetics or feeding, though. When she was still developing my parents had her on whatever food was cheapest, and were giving her adult food right from the start, so that may have stunted her growth. Regardless, her small size never had any health consequences until the later stages of her CKD, as very small degrees of weight loss would affect her significantly.