Idea For Brownout During So Cal Heatwave

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I've been dreading the summer weather. My room has already hit over 90 degrees. It, unfortunately, faces the setting sun and gets all the terribly hot heat of the sun all afternoon.

I put up UV-blocking film, but I don't know how much that's helped. I have 4 fans in my bedroom + a window box fan. They help a lot unless the temp is too high.

Last summer, on a day when the temp was over 100 and probably still in the 90s outside at night, there was a brownout late at night due to everyone using electricity to stay cool.

My room became unbearably hot and was over 100 degrees. It was already barely tolerable with the fans on and A/C before the brownout. I was so worried about my cat getting heatstroke. She wasn't drinking water and I didn't know what to do except keep hoping the power would come back on. As for me, I kept tossing and turning and was suffering myself. I hate hot weather.

The brownout lasted for 2 hours, but felt like 4 hrs. It was such a huge relief when the fans turned back on.

It suddenly hit me recently that if there is another brownout this summer, I'm going to grab my cat and throw her into her carrier. Hopefully, not needing to try to chase her or get her out from under my bed. I'm going to put her carrier in my car and drive us both around with the A/C on so we can stay cool until the power comes back on.i thought I'd share in case this helps anyone else during a summer brownout.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I loathe hot weather, too! Fortunately, cats are pretty resilient. I wouldn't sweat it too much (no pun intended). Keep some bottles of water in the fridge and freezer so when you lose power, they will still have cool water. I know you said she wasn't drinking, but trust me - if she was truly uncomfortable and thirsty, she would drink (barring illness). Your baby will be okay! There were many times I lost power during hurricanes - we are talking 90 degree heat. The cats were fine! I wasn't, but the cats were! :gaah:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I loathe hot weather, too! Fortunately, cats are pretty resilient. I wouldn't sweat it too much (no pun intended). Keep some bottles of water in the fridge and freezer so when you lose power, they will still have cool water. I know you said she wasn't drinking, but trust me - if she was truly uncomfortable and thirsty, she would drink (barring illness). Your baby will be okay! There were many times I lost power during hurricanes - we are talking 90 degree heat. The cats were fine! I wasn't, but the cats were! :gaah:
I'm just so happy I thought of an out-of-the-box solution for myself and my kitty. I was really suffering during the brownout since I overheat VERY easily. I think my cat was panting. I'll do the water bottles for when my room is hot but the power is still on. For the brownouts, I'll happily waste money and gas driving with the A/C on just to not be unbearably hot. I'd be happier if I could just keep my car parked with the A/C running, but that would kill my car battery, I think.

I'm the kind of person who likes to be in a room with A/C set to ~78 degrees unless the weather is cooler. I can't run the A/C at my parents' unless it's really hot, hence I have 4 fans + a window box fan. I always kept the A/C set to 78 degrees when my cat and I lived alone.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be happier if I could just keep my car parked with the A/C running, but that would kill my car battery, I think.
Not the battery so much, but you'll need to keep an eye on the gas gauge.

=Soak a sheet in cold water, wring it dry so it’s damp then use it as a blanket.
=place a shallow pan or bowl like a roasting pan full of ice in front of a fan.

So, you have west facing windows? Do you have blinds? Can you hang something that's a light blocking material when it's that hot?

Hang in there!!