Ice Cream

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my birthday (back at the beginning of the month) I got an ice cream machine, and last night I made my very first batch of ice cream that I got from an online blog written by someone who has the exact same make and model maker I do. He recommended a base of:

2 cups whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (real, not imitation)
Ice and rock salt (do not actually go in the ice cream, are used to freeze it)

According to the blog this could be used as a base for just about any kind of ice cream, and I was curious to see how it would taste by itself, so I made it by itself. It's very--vanilla. Sounds trite, but true. Does not mix well with chocolate. (I tried pouring some chocolate syrup on my bowl.)

So this thread is for ice cream recipes or any other deserts. Feel free to post failures (with warnings that they are failures) so that we can learn from them too.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
This ice cream is excellent and doesn't taste like beer at all. Some put a chocolate honey sauce on it (find the recipe from Emeril) but to me that's gilding the lily. I make it in my electric ice cream machine, which uses a compressor instead of a frozen bowl. It makes about a quart. If you have a big machine, you'll probably want to double it because it goes fast. You may be able to find the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream book online. It has a lot of their classic recipes.

Guinness Ice Cream

12 oz Guinness stout
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise
6 egg yolks

In a large saucepan, simmer the Guinness until reduced by 3/4 in volume, about 8 minutes. Combine the cream, milk, and sugar in a medium, heavy saucepan. Scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the pan and add the vanilla bean halves. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat.
Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk 1 cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow, steady stream, to the hot cream. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170°. on an instant-read thermometer, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain through a fine mesh strainer into a clean container. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing down against the surface to keep a skin from forming. Chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Remove from refrigerator and add the Guinness reduction, whisking until well blended. Pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve.

Servings - 2
Cooking Time - 0:25
Prep Time - 0:10
Standing Time - 2:35
Source - Emeril Lagasse, 1 Jan 2002

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have an ice cream recipe, but putting a little "Blueberry Hell" hot sauce from the Hellfire Hot Sauce company on vanilla ice cream is pretty darn good.
:fireblob:

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a recipe that uses ice cream. It's called Poof.

1 ( 6 oz. ) box of any flavor Jello
2 cups boiling water
2 cups vanilla ice cream

Mix the Jello with the boiling water until it is dissolved. Stir in the ice cream while the mixture is hot.... and Poof! you have an instant fluffy desert, ready to eat.

Make this when you're ready to eat it. It doesn't need to set up in the refridgerator.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tallyollyopia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a recipe that uses ice cream. It's called Poof.

1 ( 6 oz. ) box of any flavor Jello
2 cups boiling water
2 cups vanilla ice cream

Mix the Jello with the boiling water until it is dissolved. Stir in the ice cream while the mixture is hot.... and Poof! you have an instant fluffy desert, ready to eat.

Make this when you're ready to eat it. It doesn't need to set up in the refridgerator.
When I started this thread I was looking for recipes for making ice cream, but that sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try...