Ibs Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Great at the moment. This is week 15 of clean litter trays. I have removed all chicken and treats from his diet and it seems to have done the trick. I am hoping that it is an allergy to chicken and not ibs as my vet though. I feel better knowing that he can go so long without problems. Thanks for asking.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that’s awesome to hear! That’s great news.

I am in a similar place with a cat we have taken in. All seemed fine the first couple months. We were just feeding him a Nutro kibble while looking for his owners. No one has come forward and since then started feeding him random wet foods as I ran out and couldn’t find that kibble here in this small town. Well, long story short we noticed him not doing so well.. We spent 1,200$ in ER and found out his entire intestinal track was inflamed. I always have suspected the switch to the wet food, and I kind of feel bad because we switched him suddenly a couple times. They put him on IV antibiotics and gave us antibiotics for home but since finishing the antibiotics his symptoms have returned, minus the diarrhea so far. He is just not himself after eating: lethargic, probably the inflammation still. No vomiting either, but I am fearing IBS :( . I am hoping it’s just from all the food changing, and because he was a stray for who knows how long just eating mice, maybe his digestive system needs some probiotics. Anyway, sorry, I hope you don’t mind me asking what things you ended up doing for your kitty? I am curious what food you ended up using and do you think the probiotics helped? Which did you mostly use? Thank you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this, I know how hard it is. I spoke to my vet who told me not to give him probiotics. I feed him James Wellbeloved dry in turkey and Sheba wet in gravy. Not the best food but he likes it and it seems to agree with him. I stick to the same flavour wet food for a month and then switch to a different one for another month so he doesn't get bored but I only give him a quarter of a sachet at a time and several times a day. I think giving him a little each times helps, he seems to be able to digest it easier. I have also given him a pinch of Psyllium over his food when his stools were soft. After a day or two he was back to normal. Please let me know how you get on with whatever you try.

Selarah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry you are going through this, I know how hard it is. I spoke to my vet who told me not to give him probiotics. I feed him James Wellbeloved dry in turkey and Sheba wet in gravy. Not the best food but he likes it and it seems to agree with him. I stick to the same flavour wet food for a month and then switch to a different one for another month so he doesn't get bored but I only give him a quarter of a sachet at a time and several times a day. I think giving him a little each times helps, he seems to be able to digest it easier. I have also given him a pinch of Psyllium over his food when his stools were soft. After a day or two he was back to normal. Please let me know how you get on with whatever you try.
Thank-you V verna davies . Right now I have him on wet only Instinct LID wet foods, in turkey, rabbit and duck(have yet to try the duck). He seems to really love it compared to everything else I have tried. It hasn't been long enough to notice any changes mood wise, but the guy here at the health food pet store recommend I don't give probiotics yet either and to stay dedicated on a food wet food for 3-5 weeks and see how he does first; let everything settle down. He suspects it could be from all the dietary changes, stresses and routine changes he has had in such a short amount of time causing his distress.