Ibs Advice Please

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks again. Current position...still has diarrhea once a day, now day six. Going to do a fecal test first, unfortunately he did a poop today when I wasnt around and did a good job of covering it with litter. Looks like I could be spending a lot of time hovering around the litter tray.

I phoned TROVET and spoke to one of their inhouse vets who said that Hills was a good product and to give it a go, she also said their product is worth trying but couldnt guarantee it would work. I have picked up Hills today and will start transitioning tomorrow.
I went to a couple of good pet shops locally and none had a novel protein so I will have to order on line if Hills doesnt work.
Will do more reading and prepare a list of questions for my vet ready for the next visit.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is what I've learned from artiemom artiemom and LTS3 LTS3 , start a notebook where you can record what does and does not work, and if it doesn't work, why. List foods by brand and ingredient, and list probiotics, etc, as well. It might take quite awhile to find what is going to work best for your particular cat, and you want to remember that stuff. AND it is an excellent tool for your vet, as well.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 . I have kept a diary since this started in january but have now started to put more details down. He still has diarrhea...day7. Started the transition onto Hills i/d today and next wednesday he is having blood tests and a fecal test. I appreciate the support as I feel out of my depth at the moment. I will let you know the results when I have them

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 artiemom artiemom . I have just read several articles that state that when feeding a cat with IBS/IBD a wet food only diet (grain free) the cat has shown significant improvement. What do you both think?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only feed raw and artiemom artiemom feeds both dry and canned since Artie has multiple health issues and can be really picky about what he eats. Canned food is definitely better than dry food so if you can, try to feed only that. Watch out for gums in the food as those are said to be irritating to a cat's tummy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been out all day; just got back in..

I think the reasoning for not feeding dry food is because; dry food usually has a lot of fillers in it ~~ corn, peas, and junk (animal digest-whatever that is). They seem to coat the morsels with stuff, in order to entice a cat to eat the food.

My feeling, and is the feelings of others; for IBD/IBS, you really do need to feed as pure forms of novel protein food. I say novel protein,i.e. rabbit, pork, lamb, buffalo,etc; until your cat's tummy calms down.

I would stay away from dry, for a while--that is, IF, you are able to do so.. If not, then try a novel protein one..

You should also be using a probiotic along with some pepcid, and perhaps a steroid. The steroid is controversial. If you are thinking of a biopsy, you really should not begin steroids, as they can mask an issue.

If I remember correctly, I think Artie began this journey with an antibiotic, also.

Natures Variety is a good food to try. I do not know the equivalent of food, available in your area.

Definitely what LTS3 LTS3 stated: gums are not good. Personally, my guy does not care for peas.. I wouldn't either..

A little tip: tons of cats are allergic to chicken.. read the ingredient list and try to avoid chicken --- see how that works.

Royal Canin prescription novel protein foods are really not all that bad. That is, if you are really stumped. You need a prescription for them. At the very least, they do not change their formulas, in mid-stream; keeping you hanging..

Some cats take to hydrolyzed food. I have never tried it. That is a purer form of protein.. don't ask me how, but it is... it is so confusing..

I also found, by charting, that Artie's transit time (the time from ingestion to poop) is about 2.5 days. I could see the direct difference in that length of time.. by charting, I was able to see what helped and what hurt him.

I use regular calendars for charting poop, and food.. I find it easier to refer back to.

I did make a spread sheet for his meds.

sorry if I am not making much sense.. a very emotional week ~~ and I am emotionally drained. brain-squash rot....

Good luck!!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you both.
I have done so much reading this week that now I am totally confused.
There seems to be a poor selection of novel protein food in UK, you have a fantastic selection in US. After reading about TROVET food ( they have rabbit and venison) I had decided to give that one a try, then I read on their site I think that novel protein is more for allergies and can be effective up to 15% where ibs ( diarrhea) issues are concerned.
I need to control this monster through diet and I would like to feed all wet but the two problems I have are..one..Buzz doesnt like wet food. He will lick some of the gravy and leave the rest. Even if I dont offer anything else he wont touch it and the other problem I have is I really dont know which food to go for. I decide one then read something negative. I have to decide quickly. It makes total sense to me to feed one that has one protein and one carbohydrate (TROVET) but the 15% has thrown me plus it has guar gum.
Our vets appear to be so behind yours in knowledge it bothers me.

Edit..have just found a TROVET food better suited for gastric problems but only comes on fish.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Novel proteins are helpful for any sort of tummy issues. It's worth giving the Trovet a try for at least a couple of weeks. Some IBD cats have a sensitivity to common proteins like chicken which can cause diarrhea and other issues.

S. boulardii is a supplement similar to probiotics that can help with diarrhea. There's info on using that here: Probiotics for Cats - Why and Which Ones

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you LTS3 LTS3 . I have decided to give him s boulardii and will discuss with my vet on wednesday. I am also going to try an all wet diet as soon as I can find one here. TROVET only sell one that is suitable for ibs/ibd bur that is fish. I will keep on looking.
Is Almo Nature any good? They do a rabbit but it has egg and egg protein.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
V verna davies Have you thought of starting a thread, specifically looking for suggestions of novel protein food or food for IBD cats.. specifically for where you live??

Something like:
Best food for IBD/IBS Cats in Wales, UK

We have members all over the world. Maybe starting a thread, specifically for food, from your area, would promote more interest..
However, Weekends seem to be a bit slow.. and this is a Holiday weekend for many people..

This may help you a bit.. I know your brain must be moosh..

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really don't think you need a specific commercial diet for IBS. Any novel protein (anything not chicken) diet helps. Novel proteins are thought to be easier on a sensitive tummy since a cat may not have eaten it in the past. You might find diet suggestions here: What do you feed you IBD Cats

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok so this is where I am. I will need a wet and dry food until I can wean him off all dry. From your post above LTS3 LTS3 it looks as if James Welbeloved could be the answer. They do a lamb in wet but not in dry but they do duck and rice. Could I feed these or do both have to be the same protein source.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
It is best to have one protein source, at a time; in order to see if there is an allergy to that protein or something addicted to the mix.

Is there a version of Chewy.com in the UK?? I think there is Zooplus, if I remember correctly. You can look up the ingredients on there, also the user comments.
I would not order an entire case, if you are not certain you cat will eat the food. At that point it would be best to go to the manufactur's website, to see where that particular food is sold, locally. You could even call the pet store. Sometimes they are willing to order a case, but if it does not work out, they will take the rest of the case back and refund your money...

rambling sentences.. brain is smooshed..((hugs))

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your brain is not so smooshed artiemom artiemom , you are talking sense. I've looked on all the sites and cant find a wet and dry in the same protein. I'm going maaaaaad.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Your brain is not so smooshed artiemom artiemom , you are talking sense. I've looked on all the sites and cant find a wet and dry in the same protein. I'm going maaaaaad.
You can only do the best you can--- do not pull your hair out.

There has to be someone with similar experiences on here...

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One protein would be best but if you have to feed two, then you feed two:dunno: In my previous post I said I feed mainly (raw) rabbit but mix in another (raw) protein with every meal. It works for my IBD cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Darlin. Although I haven't (thank GOD) dealt with this, from reading artiemom artiemom , LTS3 LTS3 , and other's threads, this is not an unusual thing! WHY some company get smart and offer the same novel protein in both wet and dry is just beyond me!