Ibd Vs Pancreatitis: Differences In Diagnosis And Treatment

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently in the same situation and feel helpless and like a horrible pet owner because I have no idea how to make it better or if it will get better.

My journey started in January. Bullwinkle was 15lbs and I took him in because he been vomiting daily and sometimes several times a day. At that time my vet told me I was over feeding him and to cut back. I was free feeding kibble at that time. I switched to a timed feeder, which did not make me very popular but the vomiting eased-up. In February I left for a week for a work trip and that’s when the flare-up got really bad. Thinking it was just stress from me being gone and reaction to the food, I switched from Blue Buffalo to Wellness Core. This stopped the vomiting for a few weeks. I then took him back to the when the vomiting started. There was a stand-in because my vet was out. He told me Bullwinkle was comstipated and that’s what was causing the vomiting. They have him an enema, some sub q and I took him home. Things were better for a week or two and then the vomiting started again. This time they suspected an infection so they dewormed him and gave him more antibiotics. They next day, Saturday, he was acting really weird and I got nervous. I called my vet who is open until 3pm on Saturdays and they said he received a lot of meds the prior day and to just “keep an eye on him” except at 4pm he started becoming very vocal going to his litter box and crying. I called the ER vet and told them what had happened. They recommended that I bring him in ASAP because there could be crystals blocking his ability to urinate. Of course, I rushed him in. $1000 later all of his blood work came back fine except WBC was slightly elevated and he tested positive for pancreatitis. I was sent home with Hill’s I/D, famotidine and antibioticswhich By now Bullwinkle was about 12lbs- this was mid-April.

I started doing tons of research about pancreatitis- that which there is very little. I’ve got probiotic treats, selenium, and I make the Pepcid liquid and squirt it in. My hands and arms look mangled from scratches. Pilling is not an option! I thought things were getting better and there was a break in vomiting. About a month ago I took him to my vet, brought all the results from the ER trip. They gave him antibiotics again, sub q, famitidine- same deal. Two weeks ago I called and asked about steroids and they wanted to see him- again. I was told that is a bad idea and could cause more harm. They did recommend a spec FPL that came back with him at 8.9 and definitely comfiemed pancreatitis. This week I called to see about getting a script for at home sub q and I was told I had to bring him in. When I did, they told me no- that could be dangerous but they would do it there. Each trip costs me at least $100. Bullwinkle is now 10.9lbs and will have a few good days and then either a mild bad day or really bad days. After the last trip, I called a few other vets in town and will be switching next week. However, the last trip made him flare up and I had to take him in for sub-q today.

Here is what makes Bullwinkle’s pancreatitis even more confusing- he eats and drinks all the time. He’s gaine about 4oz in the last few weeks. He has a healthy appetite and even on his bad flare up days he will eat. He handled his physical exam well, leading the vet to believe he wasn’t in pain and nothing he could feel was swollen. They said his heart is strong. He is definitely lethargic and walks slow but he will also chase a fly and bite me on his good days, which were becoming more frequent. His bowel movements have also become more regular. All signs point to healing except when he has his bad days I feel awful and I just want to make it all better.

I’m hoping the new vet has better information and a more defined treatment plan. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to put out there what we’ve been dealing with and hopefully someone has been here too and can offer some advice.

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My younger girl, Samba, has IBD and pancreatitis. She is 15, and we've been dealing with the pancreas flare ups for at least three years now. She was officially diagnosed with IBD in February after having an intense flare up and getting an ultrasound. We were always able to control the flare ups with cerenia, but 2018 has been rough on my little buddy, and we have started her on bi-weekly shots of B12 at home and a human grade probiotic called VSL#3 which was recommended by our vet. She has been on digestive enzymes and pet grade pro b's for years now, but I do think the VSL#3 has had a very positive effect on her. It's pricey (around 70 bucks a bottle from Amazon), but one bottle lasts us a couple months as we split one pill between her and our other cat's dinner each night. We also started both of our cats (the other is 18) on CBD oil a few months ago and have seen major changes in both of them. Their appetite is incredible, and the need for Samba's doses of cerenia have become way less frequent. None of this is miracle stuff, but it really does seem to do them well, especially Samba who has had so many medical issues since the start of the year. She absolutely hates cerenia and foams at the mouth for about ten minutes after I give it to her, but it really does work when she needs it. She has actually come to love the taste of the CBD oil though, and man am I glad I started both my girls on that stuff. It really does work wonders in general health and well being. I recommend asking your vet if this and a human grade probiotic could be a good route to go for your guy. I understand how hard it is to see your buddy suffering and feeling helpless. I've had a few nights staying up by Samba's side and thinking it may be our last night together, but ever since I started her on these products I have had much more faith in her health and spirit, and my stress levels have gone way down. I had them both on Instinct rabbit, beef, and duck for a while, but they ended up being snobbish about those so I started them on Fancy Feast Classic beef. Not the best stuff maybe, but it's one of the healthier big name brands out there, and they devour it. At their age I let them eat whatever they're willing to eat, and with the CBD, pro b's, and enzymes their weight has been steady and healthy, so Fancy Feast it is. They sometimes eat Weruva Steak Frites, but I always make sure to put their supplements and vitamins in the Fancy Feast because I know they are going to eat the whole thing and get the proper dosage. Cats are so picky, and getting them a food they love can be insanely stressful, but it's well worth the time. I hope your Nate is able to get to a comfortable and easily treatable place and live a long, happy, and healthy life. I empathize with you and your situation, but there are definitely options out there to make these conditions easy to control. Good luck and keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrPawthorne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently in the same situation and feel helpless and like a horrible pet owner because I have no idea how to make it better or if it will get better.

My journey started in January. Bullwinkle was 15lbs and I took him in because he been vomiting daily and sometimes several times a day. At that time my vet told me I was over feeding him and to cut back. I was free feeding kibble at that time. I switched to a timed feeder, which did not make me very popular but the vomiting eased-up. In February I left for a week for a work trip and that’s when the flare-up got really bad. Thinking it was just stress from me being gone and reaction to the food, I switched from Blue Buffalo to Wellness Core. This stopped the vomiting for a few weeks. I then took him back to the when the vomiting started. There was a stand-in because my vet was out. He told me Bullwinkle was comstipated and that’s what was causing the vomiting. They have him an enema, some sub q and I took him home. Things were better for a week or two and then the vomiting started again. This time they suspected an infection so they dewormed him and gave him more antibiotics. They next day, Saturday, he was acting really weird and I got nervous. I called my vet who is open until 3pm on Saturdays and they said he received a lot of meds the prior day and to just “keep an eye on him” except at 4pm he started becoming very vocal going to his litter box and crying. I called the ER vet and told them what had happened. They recommended that I bring him in ASAP because there could be crystals blocking his ability to urinate. Of course, I rushed him in. $1000 later all of his blood work came back fine except WBC was slightly elevated and he tested positive for pancreatitis. I was sent home with Hill’s I/D, famotidine and antibioticswhich By now Bullwinkle was about 12lbs- this was mid-April.

I started doing tons of research about pancreatitis- that which there is very little. I’ve got probiotic treats, selenium, and I make the Pepcid liquid and squirt it in. My hands and arms look mangled from scratches. Pilling is not an option! I thought things were getting better and there was a break in vomiting. About a month ago I took him to my vet, brought all the results from the ER trip. They gave him antibiotics again, sub q, famitidine- same deal. Two weeks ago I called and asked about steroids and they wanted to see him- again. I was told that is a bad idea and could cause more harm. They did recommend a spec FPL that came back with him at 8.9 and definitely comfiemed pancreatitis. This week I called to see about getting a script for at home sub q and I was told I had to bring him in. When I did, they told me no- that could be dangerous but they would do it there. Each trip costs me at least $100. Bullwinkle is now 10.9lbs and will have a few good days and then either a mild bad day or really bad days. After the last trip, I called a few other vets in town and will be switching next week. However, the last trip made him flare up and I had to take him in for sub-q today.

Here is what makes Bullwinkle’s pancreatitis even more confusing- he eats and drinks all the time. He’s gaine about 4oz in the last few weeks. He has a healthy appetite and even on his bad flare up days he will eat. He handled his physical exam well, leading the vet to believe he wasn’t in pain and nothing he could feel was swollen. They said his heart is strong. He is definitely lethargic and walks slow but he will also chase a fly and bite me on his good days, which were becoming more frequent. His bowel movements have also become more regular. All signs point to healing except when he has his bad days I feel awful and I just want to make it all better.

I’m hoping the new vet has better information and a more defined treatment plan. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to put out there what we’ve been dealing with and hopefully someone has been here too and can offer some advice.
I’m sorry Bullwinkle has been going through such a tough time! I know how you feel- it’s so frustrating to try all these meds, tests, and treatments and still have issues. I just want my boy to feel better. My vet has said a few times how frustrating pancreatitis can be, both because of how variable the symptoms and severity are among different cats but also because it can be really difficult to find a successful treatment plan. Just anecdotally speaking, it sounds like most people have to go through a lot of trial-and-error to find something that works- I’m in that phase too and it’s exhausting, but all we can do is keep trying.

You mentioned that you’re switching vets, and I wanted to share that one thing that has helped me recently was finding a different vet. My previous vet was really good and there weren’t any issues, but our new vet seems to have more experience treating cats with these diseases. Over the past few weeks, she has answered all my questions (and I’ve had a lot, especially about corticosteroids) more thoroughly and more clearly than my previous vet. I left the appointment yesterday feeling more informed, and I understand the function of each part of the treatment and what the next steps might be. It sounds like our kitties have different symptoms (and possibly different conditions, since the vet is still working on the diagnosis for Nate), and I would guess that the treatment that works for my Nate might be different than what works for Bullwinkle, but I just wanted to share how helpful it has been in the past few weeks to have a vet that is experienced and knowledgeable, especially with a condition/conditions that are so tricky to manage.

One more thing- I had never given sub-q fluids at home, but the vet tech at my new vet’s office walked me through it and now I feel comfortable doing it. She gave Nate the fluids in the exam room in front of me and walked me through every step, and she let me try fiddling with everything so I could get a feel for it before trying at home. This is actually really different from a previous experience: once, when I took Nate to an emergency vet, they gave him fluids while he was getting blood work (not in the exam room) so I couldn’t see how it was done, and then they sent me home with the equipment and a handout and told me to do it on my own. I decided not to do it at home because I wasn’t exactly sure what I was doing. I’m glad that now I can give him fluids at home because it seems to help, and I also know that I can go back in to my vet for another “lesson” if I have any trouble. From what I learned, some cats are harder to give fluids to than others, and in some cases it can be too difficult to do it at home, but it might be worth asking about- and definitely ask for a demo if you do end up trying it at home. Anyway, just another way having the right vet (and techs!) can been helpful.

I hope your new vet is a good fit for you and Bullwinkle, and I hope you get some answers and that Bullwinkle has more and more good days.

MrPawthorne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My younger girl, Samba, has IBD and pancreatitis. She is 15, and we've been dealing with the pancreas flare ups for at least three years now. She was officially diagnosed with IBD in February after having an intense flare up and getting an ultrasound. We were always able to control the flare ups with cerenia, but 2018 has been rough on my little buddy, and we have started her on bi-weekly shots of B12 at home and a human grade probiotic called VSL#3 which was recommended by our vet. She has been on digestive enzymes and pet grade pro b's for years now, but I do think the VSL#3 has had a very positive effect on her. It's pricey (around 70 bucks a bottle from Amazon), but one bottle lasts us a couple months as we split one pill between her and our other cat's dinner each night. We also started both of our cats (the other is 18) on CBD oil a few months ago and have seen major changes in both of them. Their appetite is incredible, and the need for Samba's doses of cerenia have become way less frequent. None of this is miracle stuff, but it really does seem to do them well, especially Samba who has had so many medical issues since the start of the year. She absolutely hates cerenia and foams at the mouth for about ten minutes after I give it to her, but it really does work when she needs it. She has actually come to love the taste of the CBD oil though, and man am I glad I started both my girls on that stuff. It really does work wonders in general health and well being. I recommend asking your vet if this and a human grade probiotic could be a good route to go for your guy. I understand how hard it is to see your buddy suffering and feeling helpless. I've had a few nights staying up by Samba's side and thinking it may be our last night together, but ever since I started her on these products I have had much more faith in her health and spirit, and my stress levels have gone way down. I had them both on Instinct rabbit, beef, and duck for a while, but they ended up being snobbish about those so I started them on Fancy Feast Classic beef. Not the best stuff maybe, but it's one of the healthier big name brands out there, and they devour it. At their age I let them eat whatever they're willing to eat, and with the CBD, pro b's, and enzymes their weight has been steady and healthy, so Fancy Feast it is. They sometimes eat Weruva Steak Frites, but I always make sure to put their supplements and vitamins in the Fancy Feast because I know they are going to eat the whole thing and get the proper dosage. Cats are so picky, and getting them a food they love can be insanely stressful, but it's well worth the time. I hope your Nate is able to get to a comfortable and easily treatable place and live a long, happy, and healthy life. I empathize with you and your situation, but there are definitely options out there to make these conditions easy to control. Good luck and keep us posted!
Thanks for the advice! I’m sorry to hear Samba has had some rough times (I definitely know what those long nights are like) but that’s great that you’ve found some things to manage her symptoms- it sounds like she’s doing better. :)

I haven’t looked into CBD oil, but I will definitely ask my vet about it, especially if it is a safer long-term option than corticosteroids. Have you noticed any other reactions, good or bad, other than increased appetite and decreased nausea/vomiting?

I talked with the vet yesterday about probiotics, and she said that there have been recent studies that show that probiotics for humans are less effective for cats and can occasionally have detrimental side effects. (It sounds like the one you’re using is pretty specific though, and I don’t know which probiotics were included in the studies she mentioned.) I’ll keep a note on the kind that you use- it sounds like it’s been really helpful. We are going to start Fortiflora after this flare up is resolved and he’s off the Metronidazole and Prednisolone. If that doesn’t help, I’ll ask about VSL#3. Thanks for the tip!

When he’s sick, Fancy Feast is all Nate will eat. I’ve been mixing FF beef and liver with Instinct Beef, and he tries so hard to pick out all those fancy feast bits... for now, I’m just happy that he’s eating something, but hoping to keep him on a rotation of novel protein, LID foods for the long term.

Thanks again for sharing the advice and hope your kitties continue to do well. :)

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
MrPawthorne MrPawthorne , regarding cbd oil depending on where you live it may not be available. It’s a product of hemp or marijuana (does not get the cat high and is perfectly safe). Also, idk that a Vet would know much about it, CBD for pets is relatively new. Still a great idea to speak with your vet about it, but if you were not aware of the background I thought I would mention it. In humans and pets, cbd reduces pain and inflammation and I would think would be a wonderful addition to a treatment for any of these illnesses.

If you do a search on this site for CBD there are quite a few threads discussing it.

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry Bullwinkle has been going through such a tough time! I know how you feel- it’s so frustrating to try all these meds, tests, and treatments and still have issues. I just want my boy to feel better. My vet has said a few times how frustrating pancreatitis can be, both because of how variable the symptoms and severity are among different cats but also because it can be really difficult to find a successful treatment plan. Just anecdotally speaking, it sounds like most people have to go through a lot of trial-and-error to find something that works- I’m in that phase too and it’s exhausting, but all we can do is keep trying.

You mentioned that you’re switching vets, and I wanted to share that one thing that has helped me recently was finding a different vet. My previous vet was really good and there weren’t any issues, but our new vet seems to have more experience treating cats with these diseases. Over the past few weeks, she has answered all my questions (and I’ve had a lot, especially about corticosteroids) more thoroughly and more clearly than my previous vet. I left the appointment yesterday feeling more informed, and I understand the function of each part of the treatment and what the next steps might be. It sounds like our kitties have different symptoms (and possibly different conditions, since the vet is still working on the diagnosis for Nate), and I would guess that the treatment that works for my Nate might be different than what works for Bullwinkle, but I just wanted to share how helpful it has been in the past few weeks to have a vet that is experienced and knowledgeable, especially with a condition/conditions that are so tricky to manage.

One more thing- I had never given sub-q fluids at home, but the vet tech at my new vet’s office walked me through it and now I feel comfortable doing it. She gave Nate the fluids in the exam room in front of me and walked me through every step, and she let me try fiddling with everything so I could get a feel for it before trying at home. This is actually really different from a previous experience: once, when I took Nate to an emergency vet, they gave him fluids while he was getting blood work (not in the exam room) so I couldn’t see how it was done, and then they sent me home with the equipment and a handout and told me to do it on my own. I decided not to do it at home because I wasn’t exactly sure what I was doing. I’m glad that now I can give him fluids at home because it seems to help, and I also know that I can go back in to my vet for another “lesson” if I have any trouble. From what I learned, some cats are harder to give fluids to than others, and in some cases it can be too difficult to do it at home, but it might be worth asking about- and definitely ask for a demo if you do end up trying it at home. Anyway, just another way having the right vet (and techs!) can been helpful.

I hope your new vet is a good fit for you and Bullwinkle, and I hope you get some answers and that Bullwinkle has more and more good days.

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I’ve been told the same thing that pancreatitis can be frustrating and it takes time and patience. I guess I’ve just read too much about how things can turn really bad fairly quickly so I always fear I’m not doing enough!

I’m switching vets for the exact reason you mentioned. I don’t have any issue with my current vet but I think their knowledge and preferred method of treatment for pancreatitis is limited. I probably looked like a crazy person because when I called the new vet I was sitting in the parking lot of my current vet with Bullwinkle and I told the sweet woman who answered the phone my whole story and asked if that vet would prescribe sub q fluids at home because that helps him recover from the bad days very quickly. She was so patient and told me yes, the prescribe them and have everything there in the office to teach me. I’m very hopeful this change will be what gets us on the right path!

Since he got sub q fluids yesterday afternoon, he vomited once after I gave him a treat then took a long nap. I fed him at 10:45pm and then he woke me up about every 2 hours for more- gotta love cats- and he’s consumed a whole can of hill’s science between then and now. He’s out and pretty lively today which is so reassuring.

Please keep us posted on Nate’s diagnosis and treatment plan/progress. Thank you so much for sharing and your advice. I’ve taken everything I’ve read in these forums to the vet or implemented what I could so without a vet on my own so I’m really grateful for this resource!

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MrPawthorne MrPawthorne , regarding cbd oil depending on where you live it may not be available. It’s a product of hemp or marijuana (does not get the cat high and is perfectly safe). Also, idk that a Vet would know much about it, CBD for pets is relatively new. Still a great idea to speak with your vet about it, but if you were not aware of the background I thought I would mention it. In humans and pets, cbd reduces pain and inflammation and I would think would be a wonderful addition to a treatment for any of these illnesses.

If you do a search on this site for CBD there are quite a few threads discussing it.

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi KarenKat KarenKat

Thank you so much for sharing your info! I did research on CBD oil last night after you mentioned it and there is so much info out there! We used it when my mom had cancer and it is a miracle worker.

My question to you is which kind do you use and what dosage? I’m in CA and can get it, I’m just having some confusion on which I would get. I will also ask my vet about the probiotics!

Thank you again for sharing. It gave me hope to know you’ve been managing the same battle for years and it’s been successful!

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually I think credit goes to Lynx Rufus Lynx Rufus , we only just bought some cbd oil to manage stress in our house last week. I’m in the SF Bay Area and we ordered these from eaze.com which delivers.

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for you’re info KarenKat KarenKat

You’re right, Lynx Rufus Lynx Rufus thank you so much for sharing your story. Samba’s path has given me hope. What kind of CBD oil do you use? I found a different thread about it, and boy do people’s opinions differ!

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The advice from my vet regarding probiotics is actually opposite of what your vet had to say. She told me that pet probiotics are often too weak, and this is why she recommended the VSL#3. Who knows though? There is so much conflicting information regarding cat health. I've definitely read about others giving their cats VSL#3 too, so I know I'm not the only one out there who received this advice. Regardless, it seems to be working well for my girls, but as we know all cats are not the same and are not going to have the same reaction to various supplements. Before I gave them the VSL#3 I was giving them about a tablespoon of goat milk kefir each day, but they didn't seem to care for the taste much. With the VSL I just break open one capsule and mix the powder into their food with their digestive enzymes (one capsule per day split between both of them). From what I've heard most people only use Fortiflora to make food a bit more appetizing as it contains animal digest which is an ingredient added to pet foods that cats find appealing. As far as its probiotic effects go, I've been told it's not all that great. Again, who knows. I've definitely used the stuff before to stimulate their appetites though. The CBD oil I use is called CBD Pet. My vet recommended trying CBD on them so I researched like crazy and settled on that one. There seem to be quite a few reputable companies making the stuff though, and there is a ton of info out there. It can be a bit overwhelming. The only possible side effect I've noticed with the CBD is lethargy, but my cats are 15 and 18, so they pretty much sleep all day anyway, and it may have nothing to do with the oil. I started them off with tiny doses dropped onto their paws. They licked it right up. After a couple weeks I worked them up to about 1/3 of the dropper and now I am giving them 1/2 which is the suggested dosage for animals their size (both are under 10 lbs.) Our older cat, Kia, was getting a bit greasy because she's not as good at cleaning the stuff off her paws like Samba. My wife suggested just dropping it into her mouth, and she takes it like a champ. Samba still gets it on her paw for the most part, but sometimes I just drop it on a plate and give it to her. She loves the stuff and licks it right up, but I think she gets more of it when I put it on her paw. I've obsessed over these ladies over the past few months and have learned a lot. They see the vet very regularly, but whenever possible I try to go the holistic route, and my vet is very open to these ideas. Plain canned pumpkin is another thing that has seemed to work well for Samba's belly. I give her about a tablespoon of it a few times a week. Kia isn't a big fan, but Samba is the one who really needs it anyway, and she loves it. Her litter box activity has been great with all of this. I never thought I would be so excited about cat poop in my life! I went from giving cerenia every couple of weeks for a few days to maybe every couple of months. She still needs it occasionally, but much less frequently. I've done so much experimenting with diet and supplements and assume I will continue doing so, but we all love our cats which is why we are here on these forums sharing our experience! Pricey and time consuming, but well worth it to have the peace of mind that your little family members are getting the best quality life they can have.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use VSL#3 for IBD cat which I get from a local pharmacy because it is human grade. It costs no more than $50, much less than Amazon. Call around to your local pharmacies, or maybe they can stock it for you.

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thanks for the advice on the price, babiesmom5! Sometimes I forget there are still brick and mortar stores out there!

BCoz02

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow, thanks for the advice on the price, babiesmom5! Sometimes I forget there are still brick and mortar stores out there!
The advice from my vet regarding probiotics is actually opposite of what your vet had to say. She told me that pet probiotics are often too weak, and this is why she recommended the VSL#3. Who knows though? There is so much conflicting information regarding cat health. I've definitely read about others giving their cats VSL#3 too, so I know I'm not the only one out there who received this advice. Regardless, it seems to be working well for my girls, but as we know all cats are not the same and are not going to have the same reaction to various supplements. Before I gave them the VSL#3 I was giving them about a tablespoon of goat milk kefir each day, but they didn't seem to care for the taste much. With the VSL I just break open one capsule and mix the powder into their food with their digestive enzymes (one capsule per day split between both of them). From what I've heard most people only use Fortiflora to make food a bit more appetizing as it contains animal digest which is an ingredient added to pet foods that cats find appealing. As far as its probiotic effects go, I've been told it's not all that great. Again, who knows. I've definitely used the stuff before to stimulate their appetites though. The CBD oil I use is called CBD Pet. My vet recommended trying CBD on them so I researched like crazy and settled on that one. There seem to be quite a few reputable companies making the stuff though, and there is a ton of info out there. It can be a bit overwhelming. The only possible side effect I've noticed with the CBD is lethargy, but my cats are 15 and 18, so they pretty much sleep all day anyway, and it may have nothing to do with the oil. I started them off with tiny doses dropped onto their paws. They licked it right up. After a couple weeks I worked them up to about 1/3 of the dropper and now I am giving them 1/2 which is the suggested dosage for animals their size (both are under 10 lbs.) Our older cat, Kia, was getting a bit greasy because she's not as good at cleaning the stuff off her paws like Samba. My wife suggested just dropping it into her mouth, and she takes it like a champ. Samba still gets it on her paw for the most part, but sometimes I just drop it on a plate and give it to her. She loves the stuff and licks it right up, but I think she gets more of it when I put it on her paw. I've obsessed over these ladies over the past few months and have learned a lot. They see the vet very regularly, but whenever possible I try to go the holistic route, and my vet is very open to these ideas. Plain canned pumpkin is another thing that has seemed to work well for Samba's belly. I give her about a tablespoon of it a few times a week. Kia isn't a big fan, but Samba is the one who really needs it anyway, and she loves it. Her litter box activity has been great with all of this. I never thought I would be so excited about cat poop in my life! I went from giving cerenia every couple of weeks for a few days to maybe every couple of months. She still needs it occasionally, but much less frequently. I've done so much experimenting with diet and supplements and assume I will continue doing so, but we all love our cats which is why we are here on these forums sharing our experience! Pricey and time consuming, but well worth it to have the peace of mind that your little family members are getting the best quality life they can have.

Thank you for all the great info!! It is pricey and time consuming but I absolutely won’t give up until I’ve exhausted every possible option within my means. This forum is more informed than my current vet! (Which is why I’m switching)

Lynx Rufus

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vets can be incredibly frustrating. We switched a few years ago after Samba was diagnosed with pancreatitis. The vet we used back then attempted to talk us into euthanizing her! She still has plenty of good quality life in her, and I know that with the proper diet and treatment cats can live happily and comfortably with these diseases. Her real decline in health didn't even begin until January of this year, but we were still able to get her back on track. It's been a battle, but her good days far outnumber her bad days now, and it's well worth fighting for her.

MrPawthorne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Lynx Rufus Lynx Rufus and KarenKat KarenKat for the info on CBD oil. It sounds promising! I'll definitely keep all this in my notes, and I'll ask my vet about CBD and VSL#3 at our next visit. Not sure if I can get CBD oil here at the moment, but I'm close enough to places where I can get it, and hopefully sometime in the future it'll be available here. I'm glad to know that there are so many things that we can try down the line.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread! It was really helpful to have some other ideas to ask my vet about, and to know that a lot of other people have found ways to manage these conditions. Nate seems to be feeling better today- I think the combo of Pred, Metronidazole, and fluids really helped. His appetite is mostly back, but of course now he only wants Fancy Feast, so the next step is getting him back to his regular food. Thinking of trying ZiwiPeak instead of Instinct, as he doesn't really like the beef or venison from Instinct.

The other thing is that now that he's feeling better, he's harder to give fluids to- every time he feels the needle, he jumps up and runs away. He's quick to forgive, so he'll let me try it again and again, but I haven't been able to hold on to him for the needle stick (I sit on him and scruff him). He was fine with it yesterday, but now that he's got more energy (yay) he's going to be more difficult about it (not yay). He's a big, strong boy, so he's hard to wrangle when he doesn't like something. Trying again with an extra set of hands later today, and I'm sure we can figure it out. Not worried since it was fine yesterday, but it's pretty annoying. Anyway, I'm just glad he's feeling better for now, and as for long-term management, hearing about how many different treatment options there are for both pancreatitis and IBD makes me hopeful that we can manage it. Finger crossed that he continues to do better!

phobebon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am a new member here and while reading all useful posts that can help my cat and me, I am seeking help and any inputs for my cat indoor male cat, bean bean.

My cat is obese with 9kg mark and main reason should be due to food and being indoor.

Recently, he start to show little interest in his food (he is mainly on dry food), constipation and little lethargic than usual. We went to the vet and he is diagnosed with diabetes and we are given insulin (U100, 1 unit per time) to give twice a day. The vet prescribed new weight management diet (can and dry food) and wants us to switch completely and immediately.

We see that initially my cat is eating the dry food as if he likes it and quite soon the next day, he doesn't want it at all. However, my cat is not rejecting food, we try giving the old food and treats and he wants them. After the insulin given, my cat does not seems lethargic or in pain at all. He is actively playing when he is not sleeping, jumping up and down shelves, grooming, asked to be groomed and petted, drinks water on his own. All except wanting to eat much.

After which i went back to the vet for alternatives on the food, we agreed on mixing old and new food for a try. He is also a fussy food picker though and like Fancy Feast kibbles which most will say are not good for cat diet in general.

His followup this Tuesday, i decide to do a blood test for Pancreatitis and the vet came back the result as "Abnormal" which means no good but there is no indicative numbers to say it is acute or mild. The vet suggested an ultrasound on Friday to see what is going on with the organs to determine.

We are doing subcuts for him with 250ml per session twice daily as a stabilizing remedy for the Pancreatitis. He reacts well with subcuts as he is asking for food after the second session for 2 days and shows signs of being even more active or metabolism.

The vet prescribed 0.3ml vetegesic (same as Buprenex) as what i found twice a day, supposed to suppress any "pain" my cat is experiencing. My cat does not seems to be in pain or complaining much but according to the vet, they can hide it. My cat after given it orally shows like he is in dazed or unrest manner. He will sit in the same position for a long time and it scares me. I will sit besides him and keep getting his attention to check if he is ok.

Sorry for the long story above. I wish to know as per my description above, can someone advise me if you have experienced on the same issues and is what the vet doing alright? I am afraid my cat is put under stress from all the things and medication we do and he might not need them in the first place.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to read about your wonderful Nate :(

My cat has both, apparently. All tests so far done, especially ultrasound scans, have led to a diagnosis of possible IBD.
And all tests confirm she has pancreatitis too (blood tests done a few times, last in May and June, an ultrasound done on past Monday).
And liver disease and cholangitis (also confirmed by the ultrasound on Monday which also saw a duodenitis).

So, my questions are:
1. Are two acute flare-ups of this type within the span of one month indicative of pancreatitis or IBD (or lymphoma)? Is that pattern more closely associated with one of those pathologies than the others?
It's hard to say. It's difficult to tell one from the other. I'd say that if a cat is not eating and is nauseous, it could easily be a pancreatitis flare-up. And I'd say that if a cat vomits a meal then it could easily be an IBD flare-up.
This from my experience. But it could also be either of them, or both at the same time.

2. Has anyone had cats win similar reactions to Buprenex, and has anyone tried an alternative pain med with better results?
I've never used Buprenex on a cat, but during one of the severe episodes of sickness (pancreatitis/IBD), my vet gave my cat a shot of Tramadol that left my cat stoned for 36h!
My vet also handed me 4 syringes to administer at home, but when I told him what happened with the first one, he advised me to get rid of them!

3. It seems like the treatments for pancreatitis and IBD overlap quite a bit- fluids, anti-emetics, anti-pain meds, and corticosteroids. Has anyone had a cat with one or both of these issues? How did your vet decide on a course of treatment?
My cat has been sick on Sunday and was hospitalized in a clinic for 48 hours and was put on IV with antibiotic and supplements.

I'm currently giving my cat an anti-emetic (Metoclopramide), an anti-acid (Ranitidine), an antibiotic (Marbofloxacin).
These were prescribed after the last visit at the ER. Especially the antibiotic due to the inflammation of the pancreas area.

I'm also giving her two liver supplements, one for her gall-bladder, the other one is similar to your Denosyl (I live in Italy, Denosyl is no longer imported here).
These were suggested as a support for her liver.

For a week or so I also gave her fluids, but since my cat has an issue with fluids building up in her chest, the course was short.

Last year she had a one-month course of prednisolone to help reduce her inflammation.

This is my experience.
Hope Nate is getting well soon!

MrPawthorne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Antonio65 Antonio65 - Thank you for sharing your experience with your cat. I'm sorry to hear that she was sick and had to be hospitalized, but it seems like you are doing a great job making sure she gets the care she needs. She's lucky to have you!

That's interesting that the Tramadol had such an effect. I asked my vet if there were any other opioids that we could try, and she said that other opioid medications tend to be less successful in cats and have more side effects, so she was hesitant to prescribe any. She was hopeful that the Prednisolone and Metronidazole would decrease the inflammation and therefore alleviate any pain he was feeling. Luckily, he responded well to both of those within about 12-24 hours, so if he has another flare-up in the future, we'll try those again.

His bloodwork for pancreatitis came back negative, but since the test can occasionally give false negatives, according to my vet, it's not 100% certain that he doesn't have pancreatitis. It does make IBD seem more likely, though. Right now, we're in the process of weaning him off the steroids, so we're crossing our fingers that he stays happy and healthy once he is off them. Hopefully this time the steroids will have taken care of the inflammation so it doesn't come back (at least not anytime soon!).

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. After reading about so many people's experiences with cats with IBD, lymphoma, and pancreatitis, I'm learning that these conditions can have a really wide variety of symptoms and patterns. It makes treatment and diagnosis frustrating processes, but it is heartening to hear about so many people who are managing their cat's symptoms. I hope your cat is recovering well from the hospital visit and continues to do well at home!