Ibd Symptoms

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Monday Psycho had an issue when we went to every other day with his Pred . He s done this before so I would consider it a symptom. He poops in his box but then vomits bile right after.
I contacted the Vet and they told me to go back to the 2.5 mg daily for a week then try to decrease it to 1.75 for the next 2 weeks and see how he does.
He has not pooped again since Monday morning so now I m worried again . Has anyone had this particular symptom with their cat?
He ‘s eating , peeing, playing and acting fine. If he does not go by the morning I will contact his Vet.
Any information about this type of symptom would be appreciated.
Thank you all for your help . This group is amazing❤

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes my IBD cat was prone to constipation and would also vomit bile. He had his first flare when he was only 18 months old and they thought he had an obstruction. It was like his entire digestive system would shut down. That vet didn't have access to an ultrasound so she took daily xrays to check for changing gas patterns. They didn't change for several days which happens with an obstruction.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes my IBD cat was prone to constipation and would also vomit bile. He had his first flare when he was only 18 months old and they thought he had an obstruction. It was like his entire digestive system would shut down. That vet didn't have access to an ultrasound so she took daily xrays to check for changing gas patterns. They didn't change for several days which happens with an obstruction.
What was the outcome? Did Pred help any ?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He wasn't properly diagnosed until he was 7 1/2 and put on 5 mgs a day of Pred. He had no major flares for 8 1/2 years. Unfortunately IBD can still be progressive. He started losing weight last year and we started B12 shots. He continued to feel fine and ate well. This past January he went into a flare and had lost a lot of weight over the course of the previous year. Given his age I decided to let him go. The Pred gave him 8 1/2 symptom free years for which I am very grateful.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He wasn't properly diagnosed until he was 7 1/2 and put on 5 mgs a day of Pred. He had no major flares for 8 1/2 years. Unfortunately IBD can still be progressive. He started losing weight last year and we started B12 shots. He continued to feel fine and ate well. This past January he went into a flare and had lost a lot of weight over the course of the previous year. Given his age I decided to let him go. The Pred gave him 8 1/2 symptom free years for which I am very grateful.
Thanknyou that gives me hope. Do you think it morphed into cancer near the end ?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It might have. He had an ultrasound when he started losing weight and he had nodules on one part of his liver. He had fatty liver when he was 7 1/2, his liver numbers looked normal but the vet assumed that he had liver damage. The vet that did that last ultrasound said that they didn't look 'angry' so it might have been a combination of age and damage from the previous bout of fatty liver. She didn't see anything else suspicious on the ultrasound.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
pred for HK, and when he was constipated, miralax helped (get the dosage from your vet). btw, HK also vomits after he goes when he has extra firm stool OR diarrhea.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might have. He had an ultrasound when he started losing weight and he had nodules on one part of his liver. He had fatty liver when he was 7 1/2, his liver numbers looked normal but the vet assumed that he had liver damage. The vet that did that last ultrasound said that they didn't look 'angry' so it might have been a combination of age and damage from the previous bout of fatty liver. She didn't see anything else suspicious on the ultrasound.
Psycho did not have any diagnostics. Just hairball issues and vomiting bile. This then vomit only started about year ago and he s only done it a handful of times maybe 3 or 4.
I asked the Vet about miralax but he wanted to see if the Pred helped this . It happened again I think due to the weening process of the Pred. He never appears constipated and the poop is normal in texture and size. He had a last night and no vomiting.

psychomama

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
pred for HK, and when he was constipated, miralax helped (get the dosage from your vet). btw, HK also vomits after he goes when he has extra firm stool OR diarrhea.
Psycho has been on Pred since April and all has been fine. Then we took the dose to every other day and that is when this happened . So I think it was due to the eod. His Vet put him back on every day at the same dose for a week and then we ll reduce the dose a bit and continue everyday for awhile.
The thing about the Miralax is I would not know when to give it since he shows no signs of being constipated before hand.