ibd or lymphoma

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat has been throwing up a lot the past three weeks. the vet originally did xrays and saw she was constipated, so we treated symptoms with cerenia, sucralfate, and laxatone. the medications helped a little, but she was still throwing up every few days. today they did an ultrasound and found thickening in her duodenum, and swollen lymph nodes. the vet said its either ibd or lymphoma. she's only 2. they did an FNA and a blood panel today so we'll get official next steps when the results come in. everything ive read says the treatment and prognosis for ibd and lymphoma is the same. i know if a cat gets diagnosed with lymphoma, they typically only have a few months/years left, depending on if owner decides to pursue chemo and if it works. is that true for ibd as well? is my cat really going to die in such a short amount of time? she's so young, she's been healthy up until this. she previously had allergy issues causing hot spots that stemmed from dairy consumption, and she had an allergic reaction to a rabies shot in december, but other than that, she's been healthy. i'm so devastated and i don't know what to do. she's my best friend and the only reason i get up in the mornings. i feel like i failed her.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry your kitty is not well.

IBD isn’t a death sentence, if managed well a cat can live many years with it. My Phoebe has it (best-guess diagnosis from many, many tests when she was young) and she’s coming up nine years old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aorticorbit

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry your kitty is not well.

IBD isn’t a death sentence, if managed well a cat can live many years with it. My Phoebe has it (best-guess diagnosis from many, many tests when she was young) and she’s coming up nine years old.
did your vet ever say it might be lymphoma? my vet said that it isn't common among cats who are as young as mine, but he can't be 100% sure based on just age. i feel like the wind has been knocked out of me. the way people write about ibd online makes it sound like its just as bad as lymphoma, or that one day her ibd will become lymphoma, and i feel like the time i have with my cat went from many happy years ahead to a ticking time bomb

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, lymphoma was never mentioned. It is unusual for such young cats to get IBD (Phoebe has had it, or whatever it is, since kittenhood, but hers is a mild case - mainly inability to gain/maintain weight, and sometimes diarrhoea) but it does happen. I’m sure other members who know more than I will be along with links to information for you.