Ibd And Prednisolone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to give her just a small amount of the rabbit because she loves it. I didn’t realize that my husband had been giving her treats as well. It was simply too much for her system to take. She had a rough night, but she seems back to normal today. I won’t be doing that again! Live and learn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, I tried introducing Instinct Raw Boost Rabbit into Abbey’s diet. After about three days she broke out in food allergies. I took her to the vet and he gave her Clavamax. Of course, this made her nauseated and difficult to get her to eat. I also noticed she would vomit shortly after I gave her the antibiotic. He also cut back on her Pred to half the dose. She ate the Stella and Chewy duck (I mixed it with her old food and she picked it out and left the old..lol) she seemed ok until I gave her the Clavamax and vomited 10 mins. later. This morning she looked a little jaundiced and I knew I would have to address it at her follow up appointment this afternoon.
She got fluids and a B12 shot. We agreed I would try to get her to eat the duck, even if she gets runny stools, and return to the higher dosage of Pred. If I don’t see improvement by Friday he is suggesting the feeding tube. I brought her home and gave her only one morsel and she licked the bowl clean. I’m praying I did the right thing because my husband does not want the expense of the surgery. The doctor said if it’s a hepatic liver the tube could be successful, but if it’s lymphoma it would not. I figure at this point what have I got to lose by feeding her myself. Right now she’s walking around giving me dirty looks.

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been reading through this site for a couple of weeks now and want to thank you all for sharing your stories. My Abbey was just given Prednisolone for suspected IBD. She’s fairly young, six years, and was fine until our move about two months ago. We went through the Cerenia, Metronidazole and Mirtazapine w/o success. She has never been a big eater and now Im lucky if she licks gravy out of her dish. I gave her a syringe of baby food about 15 minutes prior to giving her the Prednisolone. It’s now two hours later and she is vomiting. I don’t see any traces of food, only mucous. I know that steroids should be given with food which is why I force fed her. I’m wondering if that amount of food was enough or if I should try to feed her more or with a longer amount of time between the food and the meds. Any thoughts?

Jaxson’s momma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been reading through this site for a couple of weeks now and want to thank you all for sharing your stories. My Abbey was just given Prednisolone for suspected IBD. She’s fairly young, six years, and was fine until our move about two months ago. We went through the Cerenia, Metronidazole and Mirtazapine w/o success. She has never been a big eater and now Im lucky if she licks gravy out of her dish. I gave her a syringe of baby food about 15 minutes prior to giving her the Prednisolone. It’s now two hours later and she is vomiting. I don’t see any traces of food, only mucous. I know that steroids should be given with food which is why I force fed her. I’m wondering if that amount of food was enough or if I should try to feed her more or with a longer amount of time between the food and the meds. Any thoughts?
My 9 year old boy has befn on 5mg prednisone every other day for 2 years. Recently he began vomitting even with the prednisone so on my own I switched him from his prescription Royal Canan to Halo holestic grain free limited ingredient dry food ( Jaxson won’t touch wet food) a week ago and so far no vomitting. Also, his stools are larger and not as hard and he goes every day. Constipation has always been a problem but not any more. If he goes another week with no pukes I am asking the vet about weaning him off the prednisone.