Ibd And Prednisolone

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been reading through this site for a couple of weeks now and want to thank you all for sharing your stories. My Abbey was just given Prednisolone for suspected IBD. She’s fairly young, six years, and was fine until our move about two months ago. We went through the Cerenia, Metronidazole and Mirtazapine w/o success. She has never been a big eater and now Im lucky if she licks gravy out of her dish. I gave her a syringe of baby food about 15 minutes prior to giving her the Prednisolone. It’s now two hours later and she is vomiting. I don’t see any traces of food, only mucous. I know that steroids should be given with food which is why I force fed her. I’m wondering if that amount of food was enough or if I should try to feed her more or with a longer amount of time between the food and the meds. Any thoughts?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While Prednisolone is typically given with food to reduce likelihood of stomach irritation, it seems Abbey's intestinal inflammation is not under control.

Normally, Prednisolone caused a marked increase in appetite. Abbey's appetite is decreasing. Something here is wrong. There may be other issues at play.

I would definitely contact your vet about this decreased appetite and vomiting despite Pred.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just visited the vet today and this was the first dose of Prednisolone. I want to be sure I’m giving her enough food to avoid stomach upset. I was thinking of giving her a little more to eat before giving it to her tomorrow. About how long after beginning the steroids does the appetite typically increase?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Pred normally kicks in pretty quick...within a day or two.

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we’ve given the second dose of Pred. I’ve confined her in the travel pen so I can monitor her better. I gave her food and the meds at the same time so I’m hoping for better results ( no vomiting) tonight. Praying fervently because my anxiety is off the charts.

alzycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitty just started Prednisolone for suspected Lymphoma (or hopefully IBD) a few days ago. She was VERY sick before she started it- hadn't eaten for 2 days & was vomiting constantly. She stayed at the vets for one whole day and night getting IV fluids and anti-nausea meds, then the next morning they gave her the Pred for the first time. She hasn't been sick since the first day I took her in now, and she has had 4 doses of Pred with no vomiting and a very increased appetite. Maybe you should ask about getting some anti-nausea meds into her first? That's what at least worked for my kitty.

catman513

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It also comes in crumbley little blue pills that easily crush into powder and which can be mixed into the gravy of wet food.

My finicky eater doesn't even notice it or likes the taste.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So we’ve given the second dose of Pred. I’ve confined her in the travel pen so I can monitor her better. I gave her food and the meds at the same time so I’m hoping for better results ( no vomiting) tonight. Praying fervently because my anxiety is off the charts.
how is your girl doing today? did she experience any vomiting with yesterday evenings prednisolone dose?

may i ask -- how has your girl's eating been? had she been eating enough prior to starting on the pred? did your vet give her any sub-q fluids?

it might be something to ask your vet, if your girl is continuing to have vomiting when taking the pred and/or not eating well/enough, the sub-q fluids can some-/many times increase the cats appetite -- as well as prevent or delay possible fatty liver disease from developing in some cats.

my girl, Snick :rbheart:, was on prednisone (not prednisolone, like your girl is taking) long term, eventually diagnosed as idiopathic hypercalcemia.

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good morning everyone . Yesterday I opted to give Abbey Cerenia in the morning since I planned on doing assisted feeding. I fed her about 6ml of baby food throughout the day since that’s about all she will tolerate at one time. She doesn’t mind the small syringe, but the larger feeding one, not so much. I kept her in the kitty condo in my room with my disabled husband so I could monitor her (and not have to clean up puke if the Cerenia didn’t work.) and she wasn’t left alone. She did well and when I gave her the Pred I gave her food at the same time. This seemed to work as she didn’t vomit at all. I made up a combo of her favorite Nulo Turkey and Halibut ( which has no chicken and is readily available) mixed with some of the turkey baby food and put it in the crate right before I went to bed...exhausted. I woke up at 4am from the sound of her collar against the bowl. I wasn’t sure if she was eating or drinking her water, but either way I was happy since she had been pretty lethargic all day. When I got up I saw that she had cleaned her food bowl! I gave her the Cerenia this morning and she immediately went to her regular food bowl and ate a little of the fresh food I had just put down. She looks much more alert today so I’m hoping things will continue to improve. Thanks everyone for the support ❤

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
this is truly excellent news!!! :clap: it sounds like your efforts and the cerenia have helped your Abbey through the (suspected) IBD flare-up.

small(er) meals, and more often can be easier for cats to handle when they're experiencing gastro upsets (pretty much any kind/type).

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My kitty had the worst soft poops. I too tried everything. I researched and worked with my vet and ordered liquid b12 and insulin syringes to give her b12 weekly. I also went and bought s. Boullardi which is a probiotic. I mix 1 full capsule with some gerber turkey or chicken baby food. Just s small spoon tip of baby food and out in a glass dish and warm for 5 seconds in microwave. Then open s boullardi capsule and mix thoroughly with a spoon and they should lick it all from spoon. If you can mix into wet food even easier. My kitty only takes it in baby food. I was doing that twice daily for a good six months and just recently went down to 1x per day. These two things were the only thing that helped get her poops solid again. I also like the tiki cat food with pumpkin they have four flavors the pumpkin is a bulking agent and helps as well.

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to say the stress and anxiety that comes from taking care of Abbey is off the charts. I find myself always questioning everything and wondering if Im doing enough.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to say the stress and anxiety that comes from taking care of Abbey is off the charts. I find myself always questioning everything and wondering if Im doing enough.
i understand! :hugs: my little Snick :rbheart: had IBD and CKD, as well as some other medical issues over time. i found that it was important to find/make time for me to...de-stress. for me, spending some time reading daily really helped me to relieve some of the stress.

we're here for you, for support! :grouphug2:

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last night, Abbey found the bag of kibble I put aside to take to our local cat rescue. She wasn’t able to get in the bag, but I took this as a sign that her appetite is returning. I noticed she had eaten the bowl of turkey I had given her. This morning, at pill time, she was hiding. So, I poured a little bit of kibble in her bowl and she came running! I take this as a really good sign. Today it’s back to the pet store to pick up the good food I know she likes. I’m deciding if I should get her some kibble as well. I thinking it may still be too soon. Thoughts?

Fuchsiaslove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's awesome news about Abbey's appetite returning!! :cheerleader:The oncologist and the vet told me, regarding Edgar, if he's hungry and wants to eat give him whatever he will eat, but not raw. I think it's whatever they will eat within reason. I personally think wet is better for them and raw is best. Right now I am making Edgar's food homemade and adding supplements, but it's a lot of work. I've been all over the place with his diet, but he's my first kitty. All that being said, I say give her the favorite kibble, but make sure she's getting enough water. :heartshape:

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update...
As of today, Abbey has been eating her wet food at her regular meal times. She only eats the wet food and is up to 11/2 small cans per day. She has not touched the kibble so I’m not sure if she has an aversion to it or she just doesn’t like it. It’s a limited ingredient food w/o chicken so I can’t be sure. The vet has not refilled her Cerenia and she seems to be doing fine without it, no vomiting or nausea. And, she is finally having regular bowel movements. She still seems a bit lethargic but comes running when she hears me opening the can of food. She’s also back to snuggling with me and the hubby at night. He gave her a couple of her new single ingredient treats and she ate them. So... everything is looking up.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
that's awesome!!! :clap: so good to hear that your Abbey is eating and feeling better! :hearthrob:

as for the kibble, it might be the particular brand or protein in it that your girl doesn't seem to care for. may i ask what brand and flavor/protein of the limited ingredient diet kibble you've got? i give my cats a limited ingredient dry cat food, mine like Canidae brand (the Canidae Pure, chicken -- but there are other flavors/proteins of the Pure).

i think it can take a little time, for a cat to 'come back from' a medical issue(s) that have needed syringe feeding. i'd keep an eye on your girl as far as her seeming a bit lethargic, and if she should seem to become more lethargic i would certainly discuss this with your vet. that your Abbey is once again snuggling in bed at night with you, and comes running at meal times is excellent!! :agree:

Cojakama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Abbey seems to have been doing well on the Prednisolone. She was eating about a can and a half a day. I decided to give her some of a different protein and it has not been well. Bad mommy.... I’m waiting for it to get out of her system so hopefully she will stabilize again.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm so sorry to hear this...:hugs: yes, let the different protein work it's way out of your Abbey's system.

remember, small(er) meals, and more often throughout the day can help to calm gastro upsets, as can stage 1 jar baby food.