I want to make a 'cat' room.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats, 3 of which are very playful. I've seen on Youtube and other sources how some people make a playset dedicated to cats. I want to do this in my new house as to give them a place to exert their energy. I was wondering are these typically custom made or are there any vendors for such sets?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 6 cats, 3 of which are very playful. I've seen on Youtube and other sources how some people make a playset dedicated to cats. I want to do this in my new house as to give them a place to exert their energy. I was wondering are these typically custom made or are there any vendors for such sets?
Can you a share a link or two to the videos you have been watching? I'm guessing you can do it either way. Especially if you have the $$$ to spend.

Some cats prefer to be high and others prefer to remain grounded. My Krista likes perches. To keep her happy in a single cat home, I try to build out as many paths above ground for her to cross large amounts of the room without touching the floor. She enjoys "The Floor Is Hot Lava" game. Two cat trees connected with an eight cube storage unit allows her to traverse the width of the dining room. The cube storage works well for storing her toys, food, Litter Genie refills, spare fountains, and other Krista stuff.
AFE96CB5-F48A-4911-998D-0DA505E35A18.jpeg
This was the first iteration. I originally fed her raw up there to make it easier for me to clean and teach her that it won’t be left out like canned. Eventually I decided it would be more sanitary for both of us to feed her on the kitchen counter where there isn’t a behind the furniture for her to fling her food. For the second iteration, I got these cardboard Tetris pieces called Katris and built her a path to the kitchen counter.
5418D913-CEF7-43F1-9512-6A7E94095CD9.jpeg
7A945E52-F4C0-4584-999E-061285E1F80B.jpeg

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy cat shelves online, and they tend to both be fun for cats, look nice, and, since they are wall-mounted, they don’t take up much space. Some options are quite inexpensive, while there are some on the pricier side. There are even some shelves that simply attach to windows with suction cups. I’ll attach some links to websites that have some good options.

Cat Wall Shelves - Free shipping | Chewy

Cat Shelves & Perches

Results for: Cat Wall Shelves at Overstock

Of course, if you’re handy, you could build some yourself, too!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you share pictures of the kind of play room you are thinking of doing? Wall shelves, ramps, and the like? DIY with Ikea pieces like these: Cats Archives - IKEA Hackers Or something more custom like this: Stunning California house with built-in cat tunnels

You can start with some cat trees / condos of varying heights and perch types and add in other cat-safe furniture / shelves / etc. Kitty City has modular cat furniture you can take apart and rearrange as you please: Kitty City: Innovative Products to Satisfy Your Feline's Needs - CLIMB ITEMS

justlexi93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can definitely get some ideas on Youtube, it is always great to have room for your cats. I have mine at home but I still allow them to roam around the house or play outside.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy cat shelves online, and they tend to both be fun for cats, look nice, and, since they are wall-mounted, they don’t take up much space. Some options are quite inexpensive, while there are some on the pricier side. There are even some shelves that simply attach to windows with suction cups. I’ll attach some links to websites that have some good options.

Cat Wall Shelves - Free shipping | Chewy

Cat Shelves & Perches

Results for: Cat Wall Shelves at Overstock

Of course, if you’re handy, you could build some yourself, too!
I bought mine at Home Depot. They are made by Rubbermaid. We then bought indoor/outdoor carpet from HD as well. They cut the carpet to the amount we needed. I bought double sided tape to attach the carpet to the boards. The brackets also came from Home Depot. They were the most expensive part. They do sell much cheaper brackets, but I didn't like the look of them as much. My DH designed the super highway and put it all together in just a few hours. This was so much cheaper than ordering the boards online.

My DH just built another one for our son last week. It uses a walk way that comes off the banister.

1577969523502.png

We got our inspiration from Jackson Galaxy books, "Catification" and "Catify to Satisfy".

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
You can buy things, make things, repurpose things, or hire someone else to do it. We’ve done all but that last one.

Etsy has a ton of cool sellers with cat shelves, bridges, cubbies, beds, and other wall mounted things.

So does Amazon!

You can also buy regular wall shelves much of the time. Just double check widths.

Wooden crates, baskets, old tires, chairs, suitcases, etc can all be repurposed into cat shelving, too.

One of my favorite things is near floor-to-ceiling scratching posts that act as a way for the cats to access a higher shelf. You can buy them already made too, but they’re a lot less expensive and relatively easy to DIY. Our clawed cat’s go nuts for these, but I always feel bad about our declawed kitties not being able to enjoy them :(

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I was wondering are these typically custom made or are there any vendors for such sets?
DIY is best as it save $. Or get it from like IKEA where they have yard sales where some shelves or furniture is slightly chipped and they just knock the price off.

I got my shelves from IKEA Yard sales and some cheap tables. As for the rest of the house, I place my furniture and tables in a way that my boy has a free runway all over and up tall cupboards and kitchen cabinet.

These shelves are from IKEA yard sale
IMG_5378-photo-full.jpg

Got 3 coffee table from IKEA and kind them to make steps for him to get up shelves
IMG_5375-photo-full.jpg

My boy busted 2 cat trees as the highest single post cannot take the weight of my boy as he likes to jump up from the single sitter to the top and thus overtime he lands on the top post, it bends and then finally collapse. So we decide to get an open bookshelf to replace the cat tree. This is so much more stable and he has the whole top shelf to stretch out and rest and sleep length wise.
IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8716.JPG

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s great that you want to give them a cat room! I did that for the kitties here as well. I have a room that has windows all around and I placed all sorts of things out there for the kitties. They can climb or sit in the windows to watch things outside. I change it up regularly too. The window seats are easy to clean Rubbermaid totes! I can store kitty supplies inside and the cats love laying on washable rugs I put on them. I have cubbies for them to nap in and places for them to climb up but all was done so that it’s easy to clean and change around if the kitties get bored or another cat comes into the family. I use rubber backed rugs that I can remove to toss in the washing machine since I have some long haired cats. Besides shedding we have a hair ball once in awhile. Ewwww! I use a large cage to hold litter boxes out there in one corner of the room. I like placing the boxes in there because it has a removable bottom tray that can be taken out for cleaning. I placed rubber welcome mats that have ribbing in front of the entrance to catch any litter off of paws. The cats like to claw the mats too. I bought child sized beach furniture for the room and use large beach mats for rugs. Those can be hosed off easily. The kitties love going out there. I am so glad I set that room up for them. Happy cats, happy home!

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here’s some things that I did, my mom and I built the cat shelf together. It was easier than I expected to do.
I also cleared off a shelf, added cork board to it and added cork board to my ladder for better grip. Used double sided tape to hold it down.
(The felt is a temporary “screen” for the loft)
I’m still working on cleaning out the loft to make it a kitty room.
3DE7BB08-4400-4068-A52E-2503E0F16EF4.jpeg
E241EDB7-2CEF-4F41-991F-1EDEE761DDCD.jpeg
360B7AFD-D47B-4179-8114-35DB6FC0DA58.jpeg