I Think My Cat Is Sick, I Need Urgent Help!

rotten_potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So today i let my cat out (like always) and noticed he didn't eat his breakfast, i ignored it i thought he was in a hurry to go out play with other cats out there, he didn't come back that day. the day after (today) he came home at about 3PM or so, his breakfast was still there, he attempted to eat it but he just licked it, after a few hours we served his diner, he didn't eat anything again, he went to lay down in my bed and i noticed he was drooling, i didn't mind that much, i thought he needed a cleaner dish i i gave it to him, he attempted to eat again but i noticed his mouth would barely open and i suspect he's in pain. He just went back to the bed to sleep but he doesn't sleep this late at night he usually sleeps arround 1PM, it's 9:10pm as im writing this. I tried to get him comfortable and open his mouth, he just didn't let me, he ran away, i tried giving him food with my hands, he barely opened his mouth and i couldn't see anything weird other than the drooling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rotten_potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm worried he is not drinking either, and i just remembered days ago he tried to vomit

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm no expert but it sounds like he needs a vet. How old is he? It could be something dental related, or a more recent issue. Either way, there's lots of nasty things he could have picked up from other cats or from eating things outside; could be some sort of infection or an internal injury but speculation isn't too useful, because if he's not drinking water and hasn't been eating he needs medical attention.

I'd take him first thing in the morning at the latest, possibly sooner to an emergency vet if he seems really badly off.

katsup92

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not a vet - and I am sure there are other reasons why a cat might drool. When my Jasper drooled it was because he was having kidney issues. Do you know if your kitty has been using the litter box normally? Definitely recommend a trip to the vet though, they should be able to help identify next steps.

Sending positive thoughts to you and your kitty.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd take him to a vet as soon as possible too. With what you are describing it could've any number of problems; some are very serious. My immediate thought would be something wrong with his teeth so until you can see a vet I'd offer him something easy to eat. If you feed wet food, mix it with water into more of a soup that is easier to lap up. If you don't feed wet food, you can blend some boiled chicken with water or buy human chicken baby food (without garlic or onion).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He does need a vet, and tomorrow, if at ALL possible. Not eating is critical, not drinking is even worse. If you cannot get to a vet tomorrow, get cans of pate-style (also called "mousse," no chunks or shreds) cat food and a medicine dropper. Mix the cat food with water until it is a loose slurry, like a thin gravy, draw it up into the dropper, place the tip of the dropper between his cheek and gum, and slowly, a bite at a time, inject the food, letting him swallow between bites. TRY TO START THIS TONIGHT. Most supermarkets and certainly Walmart, if you are in the USA, will be open this late, some all night. Do this every few hours. This will at least give him the energy to help fight off whatever is going on, and you can avoid a potentially deadly liver disease that comes when cats don't eat for long periods of time.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come back and let us know how he is doing!

Libby.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please take him to the vet. He could be drooling because of mouth pain, he could have come in contact with something toxic outside. Please take him to a 24hr vet if you have one in your area.

rotten_potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does need a vet, and tomorrow, if at ALL possible. Not eating is critical, not drinking is even worse. If you cannot get to a vet tomorrow, get cans of pate-style (also called "mousse," no chunks or shreds) cat food and a medicine dropper. Mix the cat food with water until it is a loose slurry, like a thin gravy, draw it up into the dropper, place the tip of the dropper between his cheek and gum, and slowly, a bite at a time, inject the food, letting him swallow between bites. TRY TO START THIS TONIGHT. Most supermarkets and certainly Walmart, if you are in the USA, will be open this late, some all night. Do this every few hours. This will at least give him the energy to help fight off whatever is going on, and you can avoid a potentially deadly liver disease that comes when cats don't eat for long periods of time.

And PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE come back and let us know how he is doing!
I took him to a vet. The vet says he has a very high fever and respiratory problems, he's hospitalized for all the night, i'm waiting for the vet to call me in the morning to see if he's ok, what really worries me is the respiratory problems. Vet said he will most likely get back to normal but still im very worried.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
:( poor kitten, atleast you kind of know what is going on with him. My cat MC was 19ish years old and out of the blue started to drool and only wanted to drink but not eat. She was already having kidney failure and heart failure, so she was put down four days later, the vet initially thought it was a dental issue and on the fourth day when i went in to get her teeth fixed, the vet said she was having kidney failur and heart failure.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Respiratory problems could be just cat flu that is treated with antibiotics.
You know cats are difficult about drinking water-eating-giving medicine. A lot of times that's why hospitalization is needed. Because they are difficult and make their own situation get worse. Not because their main condition is super serious. Dogs are sent back home when they get something similar because they do drink their water and typically swallow their medicine at least in a food.

Speed recovery!

rotten_potato

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any news? We're here, and we care so much!
Sorry for the wait, yes! I have good news, he has fully healed and the vet found out that he had part of his tongue sliced, that was why he did not drink nor eat. The vet told us to give him painkillers so that he could drink/eat without pain. He's okay and happy, thanks for asking!